Off Topic Daiwa J braid x8 10 lb - anybody tried for jigging?

Centerspin

I am thnking of trying this for walleye jgging. The line claims a very thin diameter. Theres a green and a light blue version. My questions are:
does it hold 10 lb or breaks easily om a snag?
Is light blue easy to see against water ( thats what a guy in tackle store told me , its easy)?
Does it fray easy?
Thnks:)

I find 10lb breaks too easy. 20 is good. I’m sure you’ll be using a leader so line viz shouldn’t matter.
I use green my buddy uses red and his buddy uses yellow. We all caught fish.

Nothing wrong with J braid, I have used it quite a bit mostly in the smaller tests around what your thinking. It's a bit cheaper than other big names which was what got me into it. I find in the smaller tests like 10, 8, 6 fireline ior fireline crystal is by far the strongest but anything above that test starts getting a bit wiry.. For anyone looking for braid I found Dollarama has a Suffix 8 carrier 10 pound on for $5 think it goes $20+ anywhere else. Grabbed a few for myself so will give it a try once I need a respool, as I really like some of their monos

I’ve been using j braid for about 4 years. Really like it, smooth, casts far and I find it holds a knot well. I haven’t measured it but it feels like it also breaks around 10lbs. I’m in the middle of all reels getting it.

I use bait casters exclusively and find I can not use braid that small in diameter, it cuts down through the spooled line when fighting fish. I use a minimum 30 lbs and still catch fish but I',m not looking for 100 fish a day either.

Nothing wrong with J braid, I have used it quite a bit mostly in the smaller tests around what your thinking. It's a bit cheaper than other big names which was what got me into it. I find in the smaller tests like 10, 8, 6 fireline ior fireline crystal is by far the strongest but anything above that test starts getting a bit wiry.. For anyone looking for braid I found Dollarama has a Suffix 8 carrier 10 pound on for $5 think it goes $20+ anywhere else. Grabbed a few for myself so will give it a try once I need a respool, as I really like some of their monos
Interesting point about Fireline Steelie. I used to use Fireline Exceed in Chartreuse and Red, was getting it from Europe but now they seem to stop making it. It was about 1/2 diameter of Fireline original and very strong, but was starting to fray on a second/third season.
I've just tried 6lb J x8 for crappie/ smelt - very nice line for these applications. Gonna get 10 lb but only for spinning reels - very good point Outdorman, and Fireline original flame green in 10 lb which is fairly thick, works really well for both walleye and whitefish :)

I find 10lb breaks too easy. 20 is good. I’m sure you’ll be using a leader so line viz shouldn’t matter.
I use green my buddy uses red and his buddy uses yellow. We all caught fish.
The idea is to be able to see the line above the water so you know you are vertical.

I am thnking of trying this for walleye jgging. The line claims a very thin diameter. Theres a green and a light blue version. My questions are:
does it hold 10 lb or breaks easily om a snag?
Is light blue easy to see against water ( thats what a guy in tackle store told me , its easy)?
Does it fray easy?
Thnks:)
I can't speak to the visibility of the blue, but 10lb braid is fine as long as your leader is weaker. If you're jigging for Walleye... you can get away with 6-8lb fluorocarbon. You want it to break before the braid does.

I can't speak to the visibility of the blue, but 10lb braid is fine as long as your leader is weaker. If you're jigging for Walleye... you can get away with 6-8lb fluorocarbon. You want it to break before the braid does.
I’d rather straighten out a hook than break off.

Braid will always fray a bit easily and wear out from rubbing on things underwater more than fluoro or mono, it is just the nature of this material (not abrasion resistant). This is another reason why people use leaders, not only for the stealth aspect, but to resist damage from rocks, logs, teeth etc.

I really like the J-braid, great product for the money, but I tend to always buy 20 pound, so I can't answer about the 10 pound. Braided lines are so incredibly thin and strong, that I prefer to go a bit overkill as others said.

With a leader you can pick any colour. Lakes and rivers are usually green-blue-brown, so I doubt blue is as good as yellow, red etc, but it probably looks amazing on some rods and reels, and let's face it, that's as good a reason to choose as any! 🤣

I god a 100 yards of green J braid bulk in Natural Sports. No problem seeing it during the day against D river water. Did not have a chance to test it on snags or a big fish but tested on 3 and 4 lb fish no problem;)
I ll see how it frays against ice compared to fireline but that may be a long tome from now;)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks