crawfish

rbr-wrm

anybody have any experience with catching crawfish on Lake Erie or Long Point Bay and if so could you throw a few pointers my way. I haven't fished with them for years and would love to try it again

Thanks Dave

hey Dave..don't get caught usin real crayfish for bait... they will hang you or throw you in jail...lol....crayfish was banned here in Ontario over 10 years ago... it was the best SM bait goin..we use to use the soft shell crabs for longpoint smallmouth and cleaned house...just a memory now...there is large variety of artificial baits..that is the way to go to mimick the real crabs to catch bass

I know the rubber crabs in natural colours worked great...we would use them when we could not get the real ones..catchin bass up to 4 lbs(y)

Last edited:
Mick, direct from Fishing Regs

Crayfish-limit of 36-must be used in same water body where caught. May not be transported overland.

So if you can catch em in Lake Erie you can use em in Lake Erie. I would suggest trying a baitfish trap with dog food or fish scraps.

Good Luck

Ps- used to catch em in farm ponds in 80's and 90's, the whole no transport over land kinda screws that now though!

I thought the ban was selling and use of crabs...well good luck catchin them on erie!!!

We had neighbours a few doors down a few years ago and the kids, all 7 of them would catch soft shelled crabs along the rocks a few feet from the beach. I would give them 10 cents a piece. Then they demanded 25 cents. I didn't buy any for a week and we settled at 15 cents since I was their only customer I could have really put it too them little Kevin O'Leary's. They sold the place, I miss them little terrorists.

hey @Bassassin thats cheap at 15 cents each...you sound like A real shyster rippin the kids off for a nickel...lol ...we paid over $5.00 a dozen ...the crook at the drunkin bait shop owner in St. Williams...but the bass action was not stop usin crabs...I seen them charter boats out there like Black Duck and ? i forget the 2 others ...there was 1 or 2 out of Port Rowan too...ya they would use the crabs and charge $25 to $40 per head for a days fishin...My parents lived in Booths harbour and it was Bass Mania come openin Day out on pops boat...

that was also a blast fishin Long Point lighthouse for salmon and rainbows and walleye out on my boat..parked it at my Dads last week of July after gettin a fill of Stanley walleye & cohos ...I caught my largest salmon and laker and rainbow all spoon fed off the lighthouse back in the later 80s...gorging on alwifes and smelt...oh the fishin memories down there was so good...

I gave those kids the best economics lesson at 6 to 12 years old then they would get their entire time in High School. Their Dad who is a very successful business man from a very successful Family whos surname would be very recognizable if from Hamilton thanked me. I think they sold me 10 dozen that summer and the tips were triple the retail price. You know how much it costs to feed 6 kids at Rainham Centre Tasty Freeze? It took my Jeep and my wife's car to get them there. It was a fun game we had haggling over prices. A shyster? I probably am, I retired at 45 years old @mick.

first off I was also lucky enough to fish with Dick back in the mid 70's and have a couple stories to tell sometime:)

secondly Bassassin(formerly WTP) remind me not to offer you a hand to do anything--prob take the arm as well and complain the body still attached:p:D:rolleyes:

Back