Conditions of the Marsh

Bugzy

Anyone that lives near the marsh willing to provide an update as to what the marsh looks like this year. Past couple years has seen low water, Phrag removal and weather damage (I.e. silt, knockdowns, bank erosion) and wondering how that translates to a year where Erie level is marginally higher then 2022.

Hello Bugzy,

The water levels of Lake Erie over the last few years have actually been rather high from a historical perspective and the "highest" from my perspective living on the causeway since the spring of 2011.

The water level of Lake Erie apparently reaches its highest level by the beginning of July each year so I take a note of the water level at my seawall on a "calm" day at that time. The water level of Lake Erie this past spring and summer was about six (6) inches lower than last year.

The wild rice has expanded considerably in most areas from what I have seen this year as well as "thickened" in some areas (the Big Creek mouth) where there was only limited amount seen last year.

Jerome

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks