Communication on the water

Windy Point

I'm old enough to remember smoke signaling as a means to communicate, lol but on the water how are you guys communicating from boat to boat?

Do you use the marine radio or cb? If so to either, what is the go to channels?

Marine VHF Radio

Always monitor safety channel 16, I use the scan feature on mine to scan 16, then

I would take the CPS VHF radio course first. There is protocol on VHF radio to adhere to.

Some 68 members still use smoke to communicate. The communications usually consist of excessive giggling and asking to go for a burrito.

Live reports will get pretty common on here in the summertime. Many of us still use the forum even when on the water.

A year ago I read in the newspaper that Norfolk County gave the go ahead to having a new cell tower erected at Regional Road #23 and the 1st Conc. and after tracking down the company (which happens to do a lot of work for Bell ) did not get a reply to my query as to when it would be operating. At that location it should offer coverage out to the Clear Creek Ridge aka "Off Hastings" perch grounds by plugging the gap between Port Rowan and Port Burwell cell towers.

I get the age of the cell phone, but that service is reserved for buddies. Watching out for a group of boaters wetting their lines is always good but I'd like to get in on the chatter as I'm heading out.

I was looking into getting my amature radio to get into ham radios would that lisence me for a marine vhf aswell?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks