Cleaning rainbow

merc_man

Ok i have never really been a fan of rainbow trout cause of the bones. Is ther a trick to cleaning them?
How i clean them is i like them butterfly style so i can fold them over for cooking. So I gut them and cut the rib cage out with the spine stuff. While cutting that i can feel i am cutting bones. After that out i can feel a small line of bones just down from the back which i cut out. But i still seem to be having long 1.5 inch bones on the sides hiding in the meat. Any help appreciated.

I got probly 8 more of these in the freezer to practice on lol

Pic of how i like them for refrence

Attachments

• 20200824_110642.jpg
    20200824_110642.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 193
  • 20200824_113710.jpg
    20200824_113710.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 186
I fillet them as any other fish, take the entire slab off the side of the fish then make a cut on either side of the pin bones before skinning. This gives you a perfectly bone free fillet I would never leave the skin on a great lakes trout or salmon. They have alot of fat along the skin that not only tastes like $#!t but also holds most of the contaminantes that are present. Remove the fat and they are good 1000% better tasting IMO. Unless you like the muddy, fishy taste!? Lol

Josh

Sounds like you are just missing some of the pin bones ("small line of bones just down from the back"). Those bones go all the way to the head end of the fillet and about two-thirds of the way to the tail. It's tedious but I take them out with tweezers to leave an intact fillet.

If you are baking as in your picture then don't bother to fillet them. Cut the head off and remove the entrails and rinse. Stuff them like yo do and bake. Once cooked the bones will all come away from the meat with a little help from a fork. The back bone and rib bones will all pull away in one piece.

I fillet them as any other fish, take the entire slab off the side of the fish then make a cut on either side of the pin bones before skinning. This gives you a perfectly bone free fillet I would never leave the skin on a great lakes trout or salmon. They have alot of fat along the skin that not only tastes like $#!t but also holds most of the contaminantes that are present. Remove the fat and they are good 1000% better tasting IMO. Unless you like the muddy, fishy taste!? Lol

Josh
I've never heard about the fat under the skin...

I fillet the whole sides off then remove the whole rib cage and belly meat... I leave skin on and plank them on the bbq... I don't keep any fish over 8lbs...FB_IMG_1598288953927.jpgFB_IMG_1598288981583.jpg

Thanks Jammer, I had a meeting through lunch, just got out and thought it is too late to eat now. Then I see these pics, it looks amazing.

I brine mine in a vodka based brine, smoke them, shred them, add mayo and onion on a fresh bun. Now I am making myself even more hungry.

Use pliers to remove bones..look up pin bone removal on u tube..there is a propper way to do it to get the noane out. It's easy..

I just cut them out after I take the fillet off, then I skin it. Unless I'm doing it on the BBQ or in the oven, then I just ignore those bones and leave the skin on. (Same thing if it's one that I just cut into steaks instead.)

Lots of great info about how to do your Rainbow. One of my favorites is filleting, skinning, and removing the "Y" bone. Then taking the fillet and covering both sides with the Club House Spice Vegetable la Grill spice. Then place on a preheated BBQ at 400'. About 5 minutes per side. Becareful flipping. This has turned non trout eaters into trout lovers. Lol. Enjoy.

Thanks Jammer, I had a meeting through lunch, just got out and thought it is too late to eat now. Then I see these pics, it looks amazing.

I brine mine in a vodka based brine, smoke them, shred them, add mayo and onion on a fresh bun. Now I am making myself even more hungry.
We do up a extra piece... Chunk it add mayo and onion for sandwiches next day... ;)

Ok i have never really been a fan of rainbow trout cause of the bones. Is ther a trick to cleaning them?
How i clean them is i like them butterfly style so i can fold them over for cooking. So I gut them and cut the rib cage out with the spine stuff. While cutting that i can feel i am cutting bones. After that out i can feel a small line of bones just down from the back which i cut out. But i still seem to be having long 1.5 inch bones on the sides hiding in the meat. Any help appreciated.

I got probly 8 more of these in the freezer to practice on lol
Smaller the trout the better...

I leave skin on. Pull pin bones out with tweezers. Soak in Italian dressing.
Throw on tin foil on the BBQ don’t spay the foil and don’t flip. Cook till done and spatula the meat off. Skin and most fat sticks to foil and your meat will come off ready to eat

I just leave them in when I smoke it and and eat them with my fingers easy to pick the bones out as I eat.
If I were going to make a dancing meal like in all these photos I would take the time to YouTube it before I clean it to learn how to remove properly.

Put fillets in fridge over night and the PIN BONES will pull out easily with pliers /tweezers. Or pull them after cooking or use a fork to separate the meat from the PIN BONES .They can be cut out but require a very sharp knife and some practice to do a good job while minimizing waste .
There are good videos on You Tube

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks