Cannon electric downrigger vs Scotty electric downrigger

the General

reaching out to anyone who uses electric downriggers. do you have a preference or experience to share?
Thanks

There both good investments I've had both over the years but now run only scottys only because they handle the 20lb balls i run ether one you cant go wrong and they both last forever.i could tell you to stay away from the rest but im sure someone likes them too lol plus how many times do you see scottys or canons coming up for sale used and if you do they dont hang around long.i have 4 scottys on mine 2 elec 2 manuals

I've got 2 electric Scottys on the boat. The boat is a '96, they came with it, and I have no idea of their age.

I replaced a manual counter on one and redid both cable ends last year. I consider this normal maintenance.

They work great, no issues. I can't speak of other brands.

Have four cannon Stx mag 10s.The electrics have been reliable and they are super fast up and down.Checking lines and reloading very quick.

Canons power down. Scott's free spool down. A matter of preference I think but both are quality rigs

Both are good product. I have Cannon Mag10 on my boat for close to 10 years and happy with them. No issues handling 16-20 lbs weights.
My personal thing about the Scotty is their very large foot print....instead of along the length of the boat as the Cannons they are sitting perpendicular and just too much in the way...especially if you have smaller size boat.

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

Cannons get my vote. Bought my boat 3 years ago and got the riggers with it, they are older but work great! Not one complaint! Just changed cable and put new clips on them like what @hvyhaul did to his scottys just for some piece of mind.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of those. I use Walker Tournament Series and have worked well for me anywhere around here. The Walkers pulling power up speed is 200 ft./min while the Canon Mag 10 STX is 250 ft./min but speed is really not an issue in the depths we fish here. When I fished for King salmon out on the west coast speed and power is everything so almost everyone uses the Scotty High Power Downriggers unbeatable pulling power lifts 15 lb. weights at 295 ft./min. and 20 lb. weights with ease at 260 ft./min. We were fishing in 950 fow and the balls were down 260 ft. and sometimes well below that but the free spooling got them back down super fast. Oh yeah I might add, I never seen any manual downriggers. LOL! Good luck on whatever downrigger you choose. :)

April 28/2017 Nanaimo BC 3 man limit of kings in 1 1/2 hours
IMG_1226.JPG

IMG_1222.JPG

IMG_1235.JPG

Last edited:
I don't think you can go wrong with either of those. I use Walker Tournament Series and have worked well for me anywhere around here. The Walkers pulling power up speed is 200 ft./min while the Canon Mag 10 STX is 250 ft./min but speed is really not an issue in the depths we fish here. When I fished for King salmon out on the west coast speed and power is everything so almost everyone uses the Scotty High Power Downriggers unbeatable pulling power lifts 15 lb. weights at 295 ft./min. and 20 lb. weights with ease at 260 ft./min. We were fishing in 950 fow and the balls were down 260 ft. and sometimes well below that but the free spooling got them back down super fast. Oh yeah I might add, I never seen any manual downriggers. LOL! Good luck on whatever downrigger you choose. :)

April 28/2017 Nanaimo BC 3 man limit of kings in 1 1/2 hours
View attachment 8163

View attachment 8164

View attachment 8165
thanks for the comments. awesome looking boat btw.

thanks for the comments. awesome looking boat btw.

It's a custom heavy duty all-welded west coast style ocean ready 22 ft. with 105 in. beam and weighed almost 3500 lbs. dry. Tons of room to fish and because the hull is so super deep the transom door was great for getting in and out. That built-in cooler at the back is so big he put a 65 lb. king in it one time and still had room for other fish. He said it cost him over $100,000 to have built before motors and equipment were added. :jawdrop:
Man it sure was nice safe roomy rig to fish out of. :cool:

It's a custom heavy duty all-welded west coast style ocean ready 22 ft. with 105 in. beam and weighed almost 3500 lbs. dry. Tons of room to fish and because the hull is so super deep the transom door was great for getting in and out. That built-in cooler at the back is so big he put a 65 lb. king in it one time and still had room for other fish. He said it cost him over $100,000 to have built before motors and equipment were added. :jawdrop:
Man it sure was nice safe roomy rig to fish out of. :cool:
beauty, if i win a lottery, thats what I would build or something close, my wife would throw me out so i would need a bunkie. lol

Back