Burwell

Now that’s a deal @rewired and likely the cheapest boat ramp fee anywhere!! It seems like as of now,there are more walleye’s being caught in the Port Burwell area,such as from your post,and a few other members post’s. Here I thought that the walleye’s moved from the western part of lake erie to the east,eventually reaching port glasgow,port stanley,etc.,first before Port Burwell.The weather is starting to look not too bad the rest of the week,and walleye’s on,wherever and whenever anyone might be fishing from on Lake Erie.????
Thank you!

Hey Red Fish and and/or Al. That "10 bucks" boat launch was for Big Otter Marina at 5 Bridge Street...correct? It appears there are a few options. I usually like to use Stan's Marina in Port Stanley but a new 23 foot boat on a close to 30 foot trailer makes that ramp a little tight.

Hey Red Fish and and/or Al. That "10 bucks" boat launch was for Big Otter Marina at 5 Bridge Street...correct? It appears there are a few options. I usually like to use Stan's Marina in Port Stanley but a new 23 foot boat on a close to 30 foot trailer makes that ramp a little tight.
Thanks @Brian F I have no idea where the price for a boat ramp fee is at $10 in Port Burwell.I never launch my boat out of there,(too far for me to drive),I have 3 other boat ramps that I can launch from much closer to me from my house
I believe so @Brian F @rewired mentioned about the $10 boat ramp fee under @Dune1975 post last Tuesday at 7:48 p.m. for Port Burwell.There are apparently 2 boat ramps there,and I don’t know which boat ramp is charging the $10 boat ramp fee.I never launch from Port Burwell,it is too far for me to drive to.I have 3 other boat ramps closer to my home that I can choose from to use.Good luck launching your boat wherever you go to.Here is a photo of Stan’s Marina boat ramp from last Monday,May 27/19,with higher water levels than normal.At Stan’s Marina the boat launch fee is $16,at the other boat launch in Port Stanley at lake erie,the boat launch fee is $20,if that helps you any,and happy boating!! ? ?:)

Attachments

• 5E4509E5-8630-4A59-9690-256118949EC3.jpeg
    5E4509E5-8630-4A59-9690-256118949EC3.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Thanks @Brian F I have no idea where the price for a boat ramp fee is at $10 in Port Burwell.I never launch my boat out of there,(too far for me to drive),I have 3 other boat ramps that I can launch from much closer to me from my house

I believe so @Brian F @rewired mentioned about the $10 boat ramp fee under @Dune1975 post last Tuesday at 7:48 p.m. for Port Burwell.There are apparently 2 boat ramps there,and I don’t know which boat ramp is charging the $10 boat ramp fee.I never launch from Port Burwell,it is too far for me to drive to.I have 3 other boat ramps closer to my home that I can choose from to use.Good luck launching your boat wherever you go to.Here is a photo of Stan’s Marina boat ramp from last Monday,May 27/19,with higher water levels than normal,if that helps you any.
Oops ? double posts:rolleyes:

Thanks Red Hering. I called Stan's Marina and they say my boat is an "average" size for them and he said he has parking across the street as well. So...maybe I'll stick with Stan's. Closer to London for me as well. Cost for my 24 foot boat is $18 but by the time I do the extra drive over to a Port Burwell boat ramp I'd spend the $8 difference in gas likely. Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it! Happy fishing!

@snaapz if you get 2 walleye this year (and you will) you will have done better then my first season of walleye fishing erie(3 trips). Didnt know what I was doing, bought a dipsy and 2 colours of braid. Tied 50' red to 50' black, and so on. That way I could guess what amount of line was out. Lol.

Then I found this forum (and angling outfitters) everything changed. I also haven't stopped spending money on more spoons, more body baits, new colours of this or that lol. The info on here is like getting a PHD in walleye. I don't think we had a trip last year that we didn't limit.... if we did I don't remember it. The fishing has been great, the numbers will be here soon and then it won't matter what you do. You'll get them on everything.

As for your boy, if it were me I'd set a line or 2 for him. Even if you have to do a lot of helping he will feel like it's his fish! Ben

^Thank you! For the record I did land lots of Walleye last year... but I started in July so it was easy pickings!!!

April/May/June 2019 are my current problems - I've been out several times now and haven't caught anything, not even a sheep! Are there no trout, salmon, walleye, pike out of BRUCE/STANLEY in winter/ early spring?

I fish as far west as burwell and sometimes Bruce. I generally don't start fishing walleye until after I do a few muskie trips in early june. Too many other options around Brantford! Lol. Lake O for kings, the grand for walleye the inner bay for pike and then there's bass opener.. what is a boy to do...

^Thank you! For the record I did land lots of Walleye last year... but I started in July so it was easy pickings!!!

April/May/June 2019 are my current problems - I've been out several times now and haven't caught anything, not even a sheep! Are there no trout, salmon, walleye, pike out of BRUCE/STANLEY in winter/ early spring?

April and early May for sure is tough fishing and takes a lot of patience. Usually by the end of May into June the fishing picks up and by July it's on fire. Some of the people I know from fishing the pier, including some I introduced you to on the pier on Sunday do have boats, but they don't usually put them in consistently until at least June. (Some years, until I joined this forum, that was how I knew the fishing was getting better/good. They'd disappear off the pier, and show up again in a boat.)

Although it's rare, early in the season, (like now) it's not unheard of to catch a rainbow, a walleye, or as you saw a pike off the pier, so they are out there, somewhere. Maybe next time you decide to go, head to Burwell. Go straight out of the harbor to about 40 ft, drop your lines and head south. Once you find a feeding school, just circle them, wide, slow turns, every time you change direction, your bait will slow down a little, and that can trigger a hit.

You've got the dispey's, and from what you showed me, a great assortment of lures to use, including some of the "hotter" one's everyone on here uses. You've got good electronics and the motor on your boat is nice and quiet and it will definitely troll slow enough or fast enough to get the job done without having to use your kicker or your electric. Just keep lookin in that wet stuff under the boat, you'll get into them eventually.

Last edited by a moderator:
North Eries launch in Port Burwell is $10...................cheapest boat launch anywhere....least it was last summer.
North of the bridge(Big Otter) is $15..................cart ride to and from your tow vehicle.
Average great lakes launch now that I have seen are $20.00 with parking.
$10 with parking is almost free.

A large portion of the Lake Erie walleye are river spawners. Many of the central basin fish spawn in the Maumee, Detroit, Thames and St Clair Rivers. There isn't much good spawning habitat on our side of the central basin hence the lower numbers of fish this time of year. That said, There are SOME resident fish in the central basin and that's mostly what you'll find in shallow right now. Those fish are somewhat scattered and tougher to target, particularly before the water starts to warm up. You simply won't find many people fishing until the big numbers of migratory Eyes show up in June. If you want guaranteed limits early just head west....

As far as trout, get out to the edges of the cleaner water and fish the top of the water column for them right now. 55-60f is right in their wheelhouse....2/3 colours lead, jets or snap weights on boards will take those fish if you find them. Numbers aren't what they used to be with decreased US stocking. And I'm starting to think the Manistee strain may exhibit different feeding and migratiom habits than the domestic mutts they used to dump in. We just don't see them like we used too. Salmon and pike aren't worth targetting in the central basin, the just arent there.

Last edited:
April, May..Detroit and St.Clair Rivers..stacked. Late may, June...Lake Erie western basin, Lake St.Clair, and the rivers. July Aug, Erie, St.Clair river, and Lake St. Clair..although its tougher. A lot of people don't fish the Johnston and the Basset on St.Clair--they're deep and cold and hold a ton of eyes all summer.

Thanks Red Hering. I called Stan's Marina and they say my boat is an "average" size for them and he said he has parking across the street as well. So...maybe I'll stick with Stan's. Closer to London for me as well. Cost for my 24 foot boat is $18 but by the time I do the extra drive over to a Port Burwell boat ramp I'd spend the $8 difference in gas likely. Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it! Happy fishing!
Your welcome @Brian F and I am glad that I could help.It is good to know that at Stan’s Marina you will be able to launch your boat there,and I use their ramp occasionally as well.They are great people there,and are always willing to help if needed.Maybe I will meet you there one day at Stan’s & happy boating! ? ?:)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks