Burwell wind directions

FrankReynolds

Hey guys,

I have another new guy question for you. I'll mostly be going out of Burwell for fishing. My question is Wind Direction, and what usually makes a decent day on the water?
Im still pretty new so I don't want to go out when its too choppy... I check the windfinder app, but honestly other than when the winds are very low, I'm not sure what direction is best, and how many knots/km per winds would be Max before it's considered on the unsafe side, and what's good to go and catch supper! Lol

Thank you everyone, this forum is really cool how much information you share and how.much you can learn! Thank you!

Frank

Depends on what you consider too choppy.
Over 20 km's is getting choppy unless from the north and close to shore.
Tomorrow looks good.
The worst wind direction is from the south east.
From the north is generally best.

It depends on the size of your boat, how far out you intend to go, but more importantly, what you are comfortable with and what you consider safe when you're on the water. Although you're likely going to get many responses and opinions, the only opinion that really matters when you're on the water, is your own. If you're on the water and you're uncomfortable and feel it is no longer safe to be out there, or is going to become uncomfortable and unsafe, then head in, it's your boat, but more importantly, it's your life and the lives of anyone that is with you.

A SE, S, and SW wind of 15km/hr can make it bumpy, anything over 20km/hr, it's probably rolling pretty good. Same thing when it's blowing from the east or west. Even an offshore NW, N, NE wind close to or over 20km/hr can make it uncomfortable the further out you go.

I've been sitting on the pier in Pt Bruce when the wind is blowing out of the SE, S, or SW at 20km/hr and in that close, it's rough, barely fishable off the pier and depending on from which direction it's blowing, sometimes it's not fishable, yet I've seen boats out there bouncing around still. Unless it's a sailboat, I have never seen anyone out there when it's blowing at 25+km/hr tho unless it's an offshore wind, and even then, they aren't out far if they do go out.

I've seen many people come out to the mouth of catfish creek in Pt Bruce in a 16-20ft boat with 50-90 hp motors or bigger with a 15-20km/hr SE, S or SW wind and change their minds, turn around and head back up the creek. At the same time, I've seen someone in a 12 ft tin boat with a 20 on it go out in the same conditions (I think they're nuts, but they do it)

Depends on your experience and how comfortable you are. I’ll go out blow across 2ft waves no problem. But that’s in my 21ft lund. I can mange anything under 25km winds (Excluding gusts.)

It depends on the size of your boat, how far out you intend to go, but more importantly, what you are comfortable with and what you consider safe when you're on the water. Although you're likely going to get many responses and opinions, the only opinion that really matters when you're on the water, is your own. If you're on the water and you're uncomfortable and feel it is no longer safe to be out there, or is going to become uncomfortable and unsafe, then head in, it's your boat, but more importantly, it's your life and the lives of anyone that is with you.

A SE, S, and SW wind of 15km/hr can make it bumpy, anything over 20km/hr, it's probably rolling pretty good. Same thing when it's blowing from the east or west. Even an offshore NW, N, NE wind close to or over 20km/hr can make it uncomfortable the further out you go.

I've been sitting on the pier in Pt Bruce when the wind is blowing out of the SE, S, or SW at 20km/hr and in that close, it's rough, barely fishable off the pier and depending on from which direction it's blowing, sometimes it's not fishable, yet I've seen boats out there bouncing around still. Unless it's a sailboat, I have never seen anyone out there when it's blowing at 25+km/hr tho unless it's an offshore wind, and even then, they aren't out far if they do go out.

I've seen many people come out to the mouth of catfish creek in Pt Bruce in a 16-20ft boat with 50-90 hp motors or bigger with a 15-20km/hr SE, S or SW wind and change their minds, turn around and head back up the creek. At the same time, I've seen someone in a 12 ft tin boat with a 20 on it go out in the same conditions (I think they're nuts, but they do it)

Thank you for the feed back... Appreciate it. I get it with being comfortable... I guess generally speaking if the winds are from the N and under 10km/h should be pretty decent.

Depends on what you consider too choppy.
Over 20 km's is getting choppy unless from the north and close to shore.
Tomorrow looks good.
The worst wind direction is from the south east.
From the north is generally best.

Thanks! This gives me something to work with!

Thank you for the feed back... Appreciate it. I get it with being comfortable... I guess generally speaking if the winds are from the N and under 10km/h should be pretty decent.

If the winds are from the N, it gives you a little more leeway because even a strong offshore wind (20+km/hr) will still be flat or relatively flat out to a certain point but even off shore winds can make the lake bumpy the further out you go. Best thing I can say is the more often you go out, the more you'll learn the lake, and your own comfort levels with it.

I don't own a boat, (yet) but I've been on the lake enough when I was a kid when my dad owned one, (16 ft springbok with a 50 merc) and I've had the privilege to go out last year and this with other members of this forum, so I already knew and know what my comfort levels are at least on Lake Erie from Pt Stanley through to Hastings. Beyond that, ie the Long Point area and points east of it, or the western basin of the lake, because I've never been on it there, although I'd be comfortable, until I learned the waters of those areas better, I wouldn't necessarily be as comfortable.

Until I learned the waters of Great Slave Lake, Prelude Lake, and many other smaller lakes in the NWT in the Yellowknife area when we moved there when I was a teenager, I wasn't exactly comfortable on them because I didn't know what those lakes were capable of. I know what Erie is capable of. But the more often we put the boat in those waters, the more I learned, and the more comfortable I became. Then when I moved out, dad sold the boat. :cry:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks