Burwell Report and Fish Hawk Probe

Corey06

Fished out of Burwell this morning and was having a great day, caught a 3 man limit in 2.5 hours in 43- 50' of water. Hot lures today were pink panties, wonderbread, bloody nose and a black and gold rippling red fin on the cheater line of the riggers. 6 color leadcore and downriggers down 25' feet with cheater line did most of the damage.
Ended up turning into an expensive day when I was bringing the downrigger back up the cable ended up snapping just as the ball was coming out of the water and I ended up loosing my down rigger release, cannon ball and my fish hawk X4 probe. Was super pissed. If anyone knows of a used probe I'm interested in it! Is there any way to attach some kind of safety cable so if the rigger cable snaps like that you don't loose the fish hawk?

Great report.................probe loss sucks! I bitch when I lose a cannonball.:)

Had the same thing happen to me a month ago at the Elbow. Pulled up the rigger to fasten the line. The cable looped around itself and when it straightened out it broke. $500 to the bottom. Ya. A secondary cable would be nice. But probably just get in the way. Maybe we can find a two for one sale. Lol g

Radioworld sells the probes but they aren't cheap:

https://www.radioworld.ca/manufacturer/77/Fish-Hawk

I made a little safety cable for mine. I just put a crimp above the bottom termination and looped another wire around the main line above the crimp down to a second connector on the probe. If the main cable breaks I'm still SOL but at least if the termination breaks I haven't lost everything. I will post a picture later....

After losing a couple of weights to kinked rigger wire i went to 250 pound braided line. That was 4 years ago. Haven't lost anything since. Would never use wire again.

After losing a couple of weights to kinked rigger wire i went to 250 pound braided line. That was 4 years ago. Haven't lost anything since. Would never use wire again.
I would love to go with all braid but Lake Ontario was tuff with flea's this year...actually my last trim to Burwell last week I was amazed at how they were also showing up! I did switch to the Scotty "sure stop" last year which is a short section of heavy (I belive its 500Lbs braid) and its been great for auto stopping plus not getting kinked or twisted by the ball.

That sucks to hear about the probe. If anyone ever has this happen, mark the spot and you should be able to pick up the signal when you get close again. Call me or a fellow diver to retrieve it.

I know it's of no help to you but I've redone my cable ends twice since buying the Fish Hawk. First sign of any damage, "off with their heads".

After watching many dipsys sink into the depths of Erie in the beginning I have a regular routine now of preventive maintenance.

Dipsy, snubber and lure = $35.00, losing a probe = sick to my stomach.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks