Burwell Monday July 16th

hvyhaul

Headed out of Burwell with my neighbour just at daybreak, absolutely gorgeous morning on the water. There was only one other boat trailer parked when we got to the marina. When we left there might have been four still parked. Lots of room on the water, we fished barely in sight of another boat for most of the day.

Mondayout.gif

Set up 4 lines in about 42 feet of water and varied that depth throughout the day. Two dipsy 3s, a dipsy 2, and a lead core straight out the back. Fishing was slow and steady which isn't an issue, the two of us were catching fish. Unfortunately not always what was wanted.

We had 3 or 4 long distance Walleye releases, close enough to see, not nearly close enough to net, which was only disappointing in the added time getting our limit.

Landed our first Rainbow of 2018, which was released due to its very young age. Still, it was good to see.

The dipsys on 3 produced relatively well, the dipsy 2 was not the best, 1 for 2, so partway through the trip it was switched for a rigger with a slider/cheater. It didn't do much better, but the slider did yield 1 nice eater Walleye. Dipsy leads were lengthened and shortened throughout the day experimenting with what worked best, but there was still a period of quiet with no action on any of the rods.

Lead core once again was the star, 5 colours seemed to be the ticket. It produced 8 or 9 of the fish caught, including a monster sheephead that stripped line repeatedly until it finally came to the surface just behind the boat.

What a disappointment when we saw the tiny mouth on it instead of a big gaping Walleye mouth. :confused:

Somewhere in the day we picked up a decent sized perch, a lot bigger than the 3 that were caught during "so called" perch fishing in the past. :rolleyes:

The average size of the walleye was excellent with these two well above the rest.

biggies.gif

Although thunderstorms were in the forcast for later in the day and thunderheads were building off in the distance, there wasn't any threat in Burwell other than steadily increasing waves, so we kept fishing.

thunderhead.gif

It was totally different story when we got home. Just barely enough time to unhook the boat and get the full cover on it before the storm and winds hit. It got so bad with the winds that we were getting wet filleting the catch inside my neighbour's garage and had to completely close the door.

Sitting in my neighbour's garage after cleaning everything up, both of us were surprised at the amount of filleted Walleye.

reaults.gif

My vacuum sealer got a real workout.

There wasn't nearly the amount of hooks on the Simrad as in the past, but that didn't stop us from getting our 2 person limit. It just took a little longer.

The fuel issue with the motors appears to be over which makes puttering around Lake Erie even more relaxing and enjoyable.

With the way the winds are shaping up I'll probably only get one more chance to get out while on holiday, but if it's like Monday, I'll be ok with it.

Last edited:
Good day! What do you think fixed the sputtering problem?

Good day! What do you think fixed the sputtering problem?
Interesting, I had a similar sounding issue, was just the plugs.

Plugs are new for this year. Somewhere on the 115 side the kicker sucks air into the fuel lines. A brass shut off just after the water separator isolates the kicker and Monday it ran all day long now without a hiccup. (After I closed the valve)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks