Bring it on

packrat

What a difference over the last two days from Fridays weather-----that's OK tho

Warm and dry here in the Rat's Nest(well dry on the outside anyway:D)---got food in the coolerator and the Leafs on TV:D:D:D:)(y)

What a difference over the last two days from Fridays weather-----that's OK tho

I'm with you Gord. Old Man Winter was kind enough to hold off until I finally finished my deck.
Started out thinking I would only replace the deck boards and the railings.
Turned out what you couldn't see was almost as bad as what you could.
Put the last of the finishing touches on my deck Friday. Then closed up the pool.
Outside all day. Gorgeous.
Thank goodness. He can let her fly now.
The sooner he gets started, the sooner it'll be over.
Do ya think?
Rick

Before:
DSC02515[157].JPG
After
DSC03546[160].JPG

...just a couple of boards and a railing, eh? lol. Famous last words when starting a reno. Awesome job dropshot, looks great!

...just a couple of boards and a railing, eh? lol. Famous last words when starting a reno. Awesome job dropshot, looks great!

Probably my last major undertaking. Too old to be on my knees bending boards and driving screws.
Wanted it to be special. Lots of offers for help. But, in the end, I wanted to be able to say I did it.
Couldn't be more pleased with the outcome.
Appreciate the kind words cmac.
Thanks.
Rick

sounds like my ex and I when we bought our house"we'll just move in and not have to do anything":whistle::rolleyes:

two weeks later was redoing the bathroom tile then it was one thing after the other

Probably my last major undertaking. Too old to be on my knees bending boards and driving screws.
Wanted it to be special. Lots of offers for help. But, in the end, I wanted to be able to say I did it.
Couldn't be more pleased with the outcome.
Appreciate the kind words cmac.
Thanks.
Rick

Fine looking work there Rick---got to be worth more then a few ATTABOYS:):)

@dropshot... Fantastic job on the deck!
I can certainly relate to the knees and the "too old."
I redone my deck a couple of years ago and it still hurts just thinking about it. :LOL:
Worth it though because my grown kids and grandchilren show up far more often now. (y)
Also we can both now sit back and enjoy what time we have left without worrying that the deck may fall out from under us. :D
Before (14' x 12')
unnamed.jpg

After (14' x 24')
unnamed (3).jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

@dropshot... Fantastic job on the deck!
I can certainly relate to the knees and the "too old."
I redone my deck a couple of years ago and it still hurts just thinking about it. :LOL:
Worth it though because my grown kids and grandchildren show up far more often now. (y)
Also we can both now sit back and enjoy what time we have left without worrying that the deck may fall out from under us. :D
Nice job Wave Runner. I too had concerns about instability. Especially once I took the lid off my can of worms.
In spite of the pain and frustration it's more than worth it in the end. Comfort in knowing it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Its called "job satisfaction" when you finish something like that and look at it and know you did a good job.

Satisfaction is what it's all about Gord. Never been one to do anything half assed or leave something unfinished.
Appreciate the compliments guys.
Thanks.
Rick.

Nice job Wave Runner. I too had concerns about instability. Especially once I took the lid off my can of worms.
In spite of the pain and frustration it's more than worth it in the end. Comfort in knowing it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Yes, like an old house you never know what you got until you pull off the coverings. Been there done that also. :arghh:
Agree, it was totally worth it and unfortunately I'm sure the decks will outlast both of us. :(
Forgot to mention the addition of the barn door is an ingenious touch to an already splendid job! (y) :)

Forgot to mention the addition of the barn door is an ingenious touch to an already splendid job! (y) :)

The barn door hardware is actually intended for interior use.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=inte...KEwjoi8P8ybzQAhVI9mMKHe4bAJIQ_AUIBigB&dpr=1.5

Saw it and had to have it.
Looked at different ideas for doors. Came up with these. Wanted to utilize the space under the deck for storage. Lawn tractor attachments and outdoor furniture etc.
There are actually two access points. Both with the barn door hardware.
The second out of view of the camera. My wife felt the cost and the addition of two was excessive. That is until she saw the final results.
I just love the contrast of the black against the brown pressure treated. Black handles were attached this past Friday.
The picture preceded some final touches.
Rick

Last edited:
Back