Boaters on Long Point Bay are advised to exercise caution when they venture onto the lake.

If anyone wants to try and get them out of the water ,I will come down today with my boat and a few tools. would be fun putting my boat to work. Will have to find a place to burn every thing after..

Ernie
519-433-6844

Any hut without ID that has been abandoned should be burned on the ice no later then 24 hours after the deadline without contacting the Ministry with a good reason. The guys that leave them out for someone to hit their boat on a foot below the water are as honorable as a poacher. There is one of them out there reading this, probably a lurker that doesn't contribute jack squat to the sport. If your reading this pal you are a scumbag, jackass, ignorant piece of work. We know that they aren't concerned with taking out the bottom end of their boat because they can't afford a boat.

The Ministry won't or can't do anything about this annual problem and these syphilitic face meth tweakers know it. I hope they choke until blue on a fish bone.

Just curious is it not mandatory to have your hut registered out there does the mnr not see
these huts out there.Ifind it hard to believe there is nothing they can't do about this if there
are huts out there with no ID then why can't they be towed off and be marked by the mnr and
chained up untill there get an ID number.If any one of us were out there fishing without
a license they would have no problem charging us not that i fish with out a license but for argument sake i hardly
think taking a fish is a danger to anyone or to anyone's boat this is serious and can also be fatal.I
agree WTP these guys don't care and are just complete idiot's and need to wake up

Unfortunately, some folks feel it's easier to remove the ID number from their hut and abandon it than it is to dig it out of the ice after they've allowed it to sink in and freeze. Licensed or not, if the ID number is gone it's gone. MNR is not responsible to remove them so we have to figure out how to remove them with our boats. I think we as a group would be wise to just torch any permanent huts we find left on the ice on the 16th of March each year.

When u get hut registration make people submit a full picture of the hut! That would make a few of them think twice!

@Ballzdeep I agree 100% with that.
Turn the registration to an on-line deal with an official letter head print out for the number and picture of the hut. That printout to be attached too the inside of the hut; along with the traditional painted on or whatever means you wish to show the numbers outside; for CO's to inspect out on the ice. With today's digital and electronic storage abilities the data base wouldn't be all that big; that the individual mnr offices couldn't handle their own areas. Numbers missing, a quick scan of the pictures and they'd know who's door to knock on.

Dan.

When u get hut registration make people submit a full picture of the hut! That would make a few of them think twice!

@Ballzdeep I agree 100% with that.
Turn the registration to an on-line deal with an official letter head print out for the number and picture of the hut. That printout to be attached too the inside of the hut; along with the traditional painted on or whatever means you wish to show the numbers outside; for CO's to inspect out on the ice. With today's digital and electronic storage abilities the data base wouldn't be all that big; that the individual mnr offices couldn't handle their own areas. Numbers missing, a quick scan of the pictures and they'd know who's door to knock on.

Dan.

Only problem with this is , you can have as many huts as you want under 1 registration number and also can have them on any body of water in Ontario , really not sure what the answer is ,its been going on as long as there has been ice and ice huts , guess you just can't fix stupid and or disrespectfully people , maybe @G.Mech is right we just go with a can of gas and some matches and some hotdogs and have a cook out on march 16 every year!!..............apps

Easy every hut has it's own number and where it's going to be used. If the hut if found on a different body of water or the picture doesn't match the number the owner is charged.

Dan.

i agree with ballzdeep picture id could be the answer pic of the hut and owner small price
to pay to keep the waters safe and clear of this garbage. and this should be the law for any body
of water i still believe somthing can be done

Problem is, once they've sunk into the mud on the bottom or floated around in the water for a month, it's pretty hard to identify them even if they had a picture or a license number. Also, the MNR simply doesn't care about this so they are not likely to spend much effort in this regard. I still say Torch them or take them as of March 16th!!

Don't jump all over me on this as I realize bayside and grangers do a great job but for the extra hour of work would it not be a kind and helpful thing for them to aid in the removal of these huts as this is their area too? I mean at the same time they pull theirs off what's it take to hook a chain to a few others. If it were past the deadline I'd be charging the owners a fee to get it back. That is if they ever come back looking...

That could help and reading all these forums of long point you guys
love and have respect for the bay and this is just my thought about it
this is probably the work of guys coming up from the city and fish a few times
and don't expect to come back to retrieve there huts it's a shame you guys from
around long point shouldn't have to worry about this and if it is guys from the area
shame on you

Some really good suggestions, some not so good.

The only problem is everyone of these ideas involve manpower, from the clerks in Toronto keeping track of where a hut is to going through a few thousand files to match a hut to a picture. any added workload either requires more funding or takes individuals away from what they are paid to do when adding functions in the workplace. Then we will all complain that are user fees are going up as well as taxes to pay for CO's towing huts off the ice, if safe to do so, then storing them at some magical location. Then we will complain there are even less CO's out there or will find something to complain about. I'm sure the gas plant will eventually get into the mix. Then of course the cost to rent a hut will go up, I'm not sure the operators will tow those huts off the ice and store them for free.

I still say lets all have a big bonfire and burn them. Hopefully nobody on a sled after the 16th goes into the big hole melted in the middle of a lake.

If anyone sees some jerkoff taking off registration numbers or painting over them shoot the idiot. Those huts will have been there all winter usually, most everyone knows the neighbors. Post the pictures online next March on a hall of shame site or the like, Facebook, all the forums, social media is a powerful weapon for solving crimes in this day and age. I'm sure someone will recognize who's it is. The Ministry should start a Facebook page next year with the lakes name and a pic of the hut.

A real problem is if iceout is before March 15th, then what? Is there anything in the regs that require a hut be removed if a melt is on, then what if it can't be safely retrieved.

But I still vote for a bonfire. Burn them I say, burn them all.

Last edited:
Man, winternet has sunk in very deep for some of you and you really need to get out of the house. A mob going around the day after the deadline to torch huts? Would you burn their gear too or would it simply "disappear"?

I guess it's also okay to steal a car that's parked in a space where the parking meter has ran out of time? It was parked there after the deadline ya know :rolleyes:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks