Off Topic BOAT LAUCH / MARINA GAS PRICES??

Difference in price is whether it is ethanol free. Marina shores contains ethanol ( I assume 87 octane ) I got gas two weeks ago at Sandboy , paid 1.30 and it is high test 92 octane . Posts marina is also ethanol free , and pretty sure the rest of the guys at the Old Cut are as well. High test is the only fuel available that doesn’t contain ethanol , but comes with a cost !
Get yourself a bottle of Star Tron Marine Grade. It eliminates phase separation in gasoline when ethanol is in gasoline. An 8 ounce bottle is good for 500 litres of gasoline. Use 10ml Star Tron per 20 litres of gasoline. I’ve been using it for many years. I’ve seen it at Proctor Marine for under $18. If you see it at CTC, read the label carefully to make sure it is the Marine Grade bottle because they do sell a weaker formula for small engines.

Get yourself a bottle of Star Tron Marine Grade. It eliminates phase separation in gasoline when ethanol is in gasoline. An 8 ounce bottle is good for 500 litres of gasoline. Use 10ml Star Tron per 20 litres of gasoline. I’ve been using it for many years. I’ve seen it at Proctor Marine for under $18. If you see it at CTC, read the label carefully to make sure it is the Marine Grade bottle because they do sell a weaker formula for small engines.
Watch this video around the 4 minute mark they show that star tron doesn't prevent phase separation:

Put about an inch of water at the bottom of a small glass jar. Mark the water level with a sharpie. Put gas in the same jar, it will float on top of the water. If the gas contains ethanol, the ethanol will separate from the gas and mix with the water, making the water level appear to have risen. If the water level stays the same, ethanol free.

There are commercially made test kits which do the same thing but the amounts of gas and water are measured, so you can tell the ethanol percentage based on how much it has risen. I only cared to test for the presence of ethanol so I didn't measure the amounts.
Excellent. Thanks very much will check it out?

Yes and by 2022 the gov. Wants 20 % ethanol in all gas

I've been using regular gas since I bought my Merc and haven't had a problem, motor runs great.
Winter time I fill my tank to the top and put Stabilizer in.
OH and I buy my Gas on the Rez, freshest gas you'll ever get. 89.9 Liter

Very interesting video. Thanks. I wouldn’t even try to punch holes in anything there except that the Star Tron used was not Marine Formula. My opinion about Star Tron is strictly from my own experience. As I said earlier I have used Star Tron Marine Formula since about 2011 in an OptiMax 150, Yamaha High Thrust 9.9, Tohatsu 9.8, and my present Suzuki 115 and Merc kicker. I use it in my push mower and Cub Cadet lawn tractor. I do not drain the fuel out in the Fall. I add a double dose of Star Tron Marine for winterizing. I have not used Stabil since beginning to use Star Tron . All engines start immediately in the spring, every year. Just the facts.

Very interesting video. Thanks. I wouldn’t even try to punch holes in anything there except that the Star Tron used was not Marine Formula. My opinion about Star Tron is strictly from my own experience. As I said earlier I have used Star Tron Marine Formula since about 2011 in an OptiMax 150, Yamaha High Thrust 9.9, Tohatsu 9.8, and my present Suzuki 115 and Merc kicker. I use it in my push mower and Cub Cadet lawn tractor. I do not drain the fuel out in the Fall. I add a double dose of Star Tron Marine for winterizing. I have not used Stabil since beginning to use Star Tron . All engines start immediately in the spring, every year. Just the facts.
I love these videos but wish they would try to represent a more real-world scenario. You are never going to see 10% of your fuel tank filled with water. They should do the tests at 1% or lower and see whether these products prevent phases separation.

I'm not saying that it doesn't help but there's definitely a lot more marketing and hype to most of the additives than there is substance.

I personally use zero additives on any equipment and they all start easy after sitting. Lawn mowers, leaf blower, weed eater, boat motors, chainsaws, quad and the list goes on. One year my rototiller wouldn't start and needed the points cleaned, but its hard to blame the gas for that. I'm sure my luck will run up some day.

Bought Gas at Turkey Pt today for $1.40 / lt.
Thanks for all the ethanol discussions I was just looking for a
" Gas Buddy" type posting of gas prices.
My dockage has no pumps!

Put about an inch of water at the bottom of a small glass jar. Mark the water level with a sharpie. Put gas in the same jar, it will float on top of the water. If the gas contains ethanol, the ethanol will separate from the gas and mix with the water, making the water level appear to have risen. If the water level stays the same, ethanol free.

There are commercially made test kits which do the same thing but the amounts of gas and water are measured, so you can tell the ethanol percentage based on how much it has risen. I only cared to test for the presence of ethanol so I didn't measure the amounts.
So i tryed the gas sep test.. one inch in the base on the clear jar and marked it with a sharpy and add some regular gas ... is the white hazy ring the ethonal ???

Attachments

• 20200716_193508.jpg
    20200716_193508.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 46
So i tryed the gas sep test.. one inch in the base on the clear jar and marked it with a sharpy and add some regular gas ... is the white hazy ring the ethonal ???

Ethanol mixed with water, but yes.

That hazy ring is interesting. Usually it just makes the water hazy. I bet if you let it sit for a bit it will completely blend into the water.

Using premium gas in a car engine designed for regular is usually not recommended. Would this be true for outboards as well?

Using premium gas in a car engine designed for regular is usually not recommended. Would this be true for outboards as well?

Just harmful to your wallet. It doesn't cause any technical problems. Actuallypremium fuel with no ethanol will be better then 87 octane E10 if your engine wasn't meant for E10. That's for cars and boats.

Until this year I had a place to get regular 87 with no ethanol, now I've been using the crappy gas. Didn't consider using premium with no ethanol because of what I've read (see below).
So now I'm wondering how many people are using Premium gas in their motors that call for Regular gas and is anyone having problems.

One of the articles I've read

The main difference with premium is its octane rating — 91 or higher compared with 87 for regular octane. The higher octane gives premium gas greater resistance to early fuel ignition, which can result in potential damage, sometimes accompanied by audible engine knocking or pinging. Higher octane allows engines to have higher compression ratios (for a more energetic explosion), more advanced ignition timing or forced-air induction like turbochargers or superchargers. They perform best when fed premium fuel.

But if the vehicle manufacturer says your engine needs only 87-octane regular, that is what you should use. The higher octane of premium gas won’t make your car faster; in fact, the opposite is possible because higher-octane fuel technically has less energy than lower-octane fuel. It’s the fuel’s ability to be compressed more without pre-igniting that results in more power when used in the appropriate engine. Premium gas is not “stronger” gas.

One of the articles I've read

That is mostly true. Just engines meant to run 87 octane won't benefit from higher octane gas but it won't cause a problem. The thing about higher octane has less energy is kind of bogus. Ethanol certainly has less energy so 91 octane pure gas will have more BTU than 87 E10.

Pretty good Wikipedia article on energy density.

Pure gas has 114,000 btu/gallon. Pure ethanol is 76,100 and Gasoline (10% MTBE) (This is the stuff they sell us as regular) is 112,000.

Yea 89 oct. E5 would be better. How much better though might be minimal.

OH and I buy my Gas on the Rez, freshest gas you'll ever get. 89.9 Liter

You're always taking your chances buying gas on the reserve. Multiple friends (natives living on reserve) along with myself and other quading buddies have had many issues with poor quality gas from reserve gas stations.

I can recall at least 4 first hand situations where gas tanks had to be drained and filled with other gas to resolve issues.

So this test went on for a couple of days and the glass jar still looks like this ... with a white ring above the water and below the gas ...constant ...little change ... and this is rez gas ...87... have twins and no issues with power or performance of the boat ...next 94 octane ....lets see what happens ...

Attachments

• 20200717_124155.jpg
    20200717_124155.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 31
Back