Boat carpet

Honkey Donkey

I have a 1800 Lund that needs new carpet and some wood replaced in Woodstock or SW Ontario.

I have a 1800 Lund that needs new carpet and some wood replaced in Woodstock or SW Ontario.
Try giving bri-mac (bristol coachworks) in ingersoll. They were advertising full marine interior work. Not sure if they still do that or not

I wouldn't have carpet again now that I have a vinyl floor that came with my King Fisher. I remember when I put new carpet in an older boat and went from beige to a nice forest green. matched the boat perfectly but you would burn your feet in the sun if you were bare foot. Highly suggest a neutral colour.

Dixie in London did mine, beautiful job with high quality carpet

If I wasn't so over loaded I'd do it for you.

The other day I was at Dowsar's in Hamilton. Their marine grade vinyl and marine grade carpet was about $56 a yard, I didn't pay attention to the width of the roll but I'd say 6'?

I think he said the glue was around a $100 per gallon. A gallon does most boats.

So carpet is hotter than vinyl?
Is vinyl slippery when wet? What about fish slime?
surprising not really slippery at all. I do use a wash down hose and always wear deck shoes. I've seen vinyl that looks like wood flooring and some are padded too.

I am considering bed liner, masking everything off is going to be a pain but I think it might work.

My buddy redid his floor a few yrs ago with a light grey vinyl.
Not hot on the feet .
Not slippery when wet.
Fish slime and blood we wipe down with a damp cloth when it happens to keep her clean .

What is the best way to clean marine vinyl from worm and blood stains. What type of detergewnt / soap do you use hot or cold ? Use a scrub brush as well ?

What is the best way to clean marine vinyl from worm and blood stains. What type of detergewnt / soap do you use hot or cold ? Use a scrub brush as well ?
I use Dawn Soap. Warm or Cold. Gets the stains out. With a terry towel and maybe a soft brush. Works for me.

I use a combination of my steamer, dish soap, spray nine and a rotary brush in my DeWalt.

I've also used it on the exposed carpet along with my carpet cleaning machine.

After a whole summer of fish etc the difference is night and day. 🌻

I just rinse it down after each fish and have never had to clean any stains, still looks like new and it's a 2015

Dixie Auto Trim, they used to be on Clarke rd near Gore but haven't been by in a while. There are previous threads about Dixie and flooring and covers if you search this site. It was sold by the original old guy and they used to do more antique cars than boats in the early years. The new folks are just as good from what I've heard. They did my Bimini, cover and floor years ago, no issues.

My buddy redid his floor a few yrs ago with a light grey vinyl.
Not hot on the feet .
Not slippery when wet.
Fish slime and blood we wipe down with a damp cloth when it happens to keep her clean .
All exactly the same with me, I love it. Blood & guts, dog puke, worm dirt... nothing stains it, very low maintenance. The previous carpet was all soaked with oil and fuel and 40 years of grime, and it took forever to dry out fully if you got rained on.

If you are really worried about grip, maybe carpet or other coatings can beat vinyl, but vinyl is fairly quick and easy to replace carpet.

@HTHM and @Honkey Donkey you might also consider a product like this "Kiwi Grip" or Sea Dek. I can't vouch for Kiwi but it seems well liked and if you have a fibreglassed floor that could be a really nice roll on solution (the standard carpet adhesives are not good for vinyl over fibreglassed floor, only bare plywood decks). I considered it myself, but I got the vinyl for a song.

A buddy did the Amazon knock off of "Sea Dek" on some parts of his hot aluminum floors and it is very nice too, and holding up well. Again- doesn't absorb water like carpet.

Back