Between Hard Water and Launching the Boat is a Sweet time of year...

Reel Therapy

Well it's that time of year again when we get out in the bush with family and friends to enjoy some Canadian history. It has been a decent run so far this year and should get better over the next couple of weeks. Maple Syrup 2015.JPG

I totally expected this thread to be a sarcastic one... lol Good job on the word play - and good job with the syrup making. My wife wants to tap the tree in her dad's yard... one whole tree! lol Good luck with this years haul

Thanks @Braggin Rights it is a great time of year to get out and enjoy the woods with family and friends, we just need a little more warmth in the days to really get it flowing. As for one tree remember it is 40:1.....

Yeah she read that while researching how much syrup she'd get from her dad's tree! LOL I think she still wants to try it... Hey man - as long as I don't complain about her little projects, she won't complain about mine... so if she wants to try to get a teaspoon of syrup out of her dad's tree I'm good with it. haha

I only tap two tree's here, two tap's per tree, they are silver maple's, so considerably less sugar content. Just something to pass the time till the boat ramps open up?? Done it for the last few years and yes it's a ton of boiling, ( soup pot on the bbq burner).
Usually get a couple of quart's of syrup total over a couple of weeks gathering sap, not counting what I eat before it makes it to the jar's.
This year, here anyway, when it's warm enough, it sure seem's to be running heavier/faster, than previous yrs.

I make a couple a litres a year... just for the fun of it...and I use it as a brushed on glaze when I smoke white fish. Keeps the moisture in so that it does not dry out and tastes fantastic. Just a little which is why it is called a "glaze" and not a frosting! LOL!!!! This is the way my grandfather used it on the farm near Breslau. I'm trying to follow his recipe book which we found in my uncles house when he went into the home with dementia. We did not know it even existed. Next thing....summer sausage so dark and hard you could pound nails with it. After that.... cooked cheese with caraway seeds. Anybody getting hungry yet? :)

Where bouts are you? I've got just over. 5 gallons so far this year. Only about 3 decent running days so far. Hopefully it will warm up and run better next week.

I've had a good run but shut it down already. I've got about 200 gal of sap but can't boil it down fast enough in this old heap!!image.jpgimage.jpg

Just curious, you's boiling sugar maple's, how is the run so far this yr?? Reason for asking, I live in a silver maple bush, and although less sugar content, have never seen it running the way it is this yr.
Pretty sure we have our yearly supply of syrup now, long as I can keep it hidden from the grand-kid's?? Think today's the last boil here, getting to be to much like work??
Any theory's on why so much sap this yr??

Cold nights and warm days= big runs. I am not having a great year though this year. Too cold, for. My trees. I to will be pulling my buckets tomorrow. There is something that doesn't seem right about collecting sap in April.

I'm just boiling the last 20 gallons of sap of I collected this year. The season started later than usual, but a good run for me and my 8 taps. Going to be just over 8. 5 L of syrup. Mmmm

i picked up some hickory syrup this year really good actually has a slight smoky flavour to it, seen the sign had to buy it . its a chef thing i guess lol

I have about 5 Maples here. Since I don't get to that side of the cottage at all in the winter I never noticed the taps and buckets hanging from the trees. My water guy noticed and asked me how the yield from the maples were. I had no clue what he was talking about. I was ready to lose it when I saw the spigets and pails. Now I'm ready to set up a blind and blast the maple syrup thieving Bs Tard. I forgot I invited a local years ago to tap the trees any time he wished. DUUUUUAAAAAAAA.

He is an acquaintance that has quite the operation a few klics from here. Man that's a lot of work and sap to make a few gallons of syrup. I still have 1/2 of the jug I bought 2 years ago. It is a condiment a Diabetic should not have in the cupboard.

edit: or a fat guy.

I have made about a 100 litres so far the quality just keeps getting better as the season progresses.I use it for everything that you would use sugar for from smoked walleye to smoked ducks,ribs,chops on a roast in a crock pot.Man anybody else hungry.Not sure when i,ll shut down there are no buds on the trees yet so the big runs are now coming.

Back