Best Line Counter Reels, trolling

propane

If you don't mind sharing your thoughts on your line counter reels. I want to make sure I get something that will last and do the job.

Two will be for lead core / copper and the two for downriggers

Thanks

Jos from Angling Outfitters told me that he was very high on a new Rapala reel for lead core. It has a gear ratio to allow for a retrieve rate that is very close to the 'saltie' reels favoured by most charter operators along the north shore, but you get that in the Rapala reel for 1/2 the price.

I started with Diawa line counters and they have always been a good reel , But i think the best bang for the buck are the Okuma convectors . I use 45s for lead core as you can put a ton of line on them . and 30s are good on the riggers . I always run fairly cheap poles, nothing over $75 . Rapala or Okuma make specific rods for each application . I would stay away from the cheaper line of Okumas , the magda ,as i have had the reels freeze up and the drag is poor.

I run the Daiwa Accudepth Plus-B ADP57LCB, 6.1:1 Gear Ratio gives you 43" retrieval per turn and they have nice large handles for a comfortable grip.... Mine are set up on 8' Talora Lead Core rods and is a nice set up for reeling in any fish..... I have one set up with just over 250' of 30lb backing then full 10 color and 30' of 20lb leader.... 2nd one is 200' of backing then 5, 2, 3 segmented 10 color and 30' leader...... I always fill the spool as much as possible too, helps the retrieval ratio......

Though at 43" per turn and when trolling at 1.5 - 3 mph I do tell guys not to reel to fast when a fish is on... Speed of reeling and boat could pull hooks, so I tell them to take there time.... But when checking a line of 300+ feet, giver and the line is in quickly.....

Cheers Bic4d

Last edited:
Picked up a couple of abu's alphamars to try out this year, seem to operate quite smooth and have and interesting function , that when reeled backwards they will start spooling under tension,suppose to be a function for downrigging. Clicker sounds like a plastic tab so we will see how they stand up.

Have a couple of rapalas there also a good reel , counter has had a few times were its stopped.

By far the smoothest reeling that i have used and a reel that has never skipped a count would go to the tekota, but there pricey.

Tried an okuma cold water last fall on a charter , was also a very nice operating reel.

Out of the 30 combo's I run with... Half are Rapala Hydro's and half Okuma Convector's... All the new mainstream reels are decent... Comes down to personal preference and cost... If your only fishing Lake Erie you can pretty much get away with any levelwind... Go see Jos at Angling Outfitters... Handle them all and ask questions...

30 size Okuma convectors. With 50 lb power pro. Great as it'll do both salmon on lake O and erie eyes if you never salmon fish go with the 20's. Use the power handle on both. Great clickers as well

I was starting to lean towards the cold water but really like the Daiwa Saltist. Been informed that this will be the last reels I will ever need but will need the extra $$$$ to buy them. Anyone have them and after buying them think "Happy I did" ???

Tekota 600LC...if you don't mind the price tag is the better reel compared to all of the above.
Owe them all...the Daiwa LC47 and the Saltist...the Convectors 30 and the Tekota 600LC....like the Tekota the most.

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

Can't go wrong with the new Rapala line!

Best bang for the buck!!!

Very dependable. Great for lead, divers and riggers.

Go see Jos!!!

Back