Bayfield

HTHM

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I'm going to Bayfield in a couple of weeks, is anyone familiar with area that could provide me with launch points, fishing patterns etc?
Thanks.

I'm going to Bayfield in a couple of weeks, is anyone familiar with area that could provide me with launch points, fishing patterns etc?
Thanks.
20 Fisherman's Wharf Road,
Bayfield, Ontario, Canada NOM 1GO
Phone: (519) 565-2411 Fax: (519) 565-2628 they should be able to help you.

You can launch at one of two ramps at the mouth of the river in Bayfield. Goderich has a couple good ramps as well. A majority of the mature Chinook will be either stale in the lake or already upriver. Trolling with long leads higher in the water colomn in anywhere from 15-90+' of water or more may find some bows and coho's. There is a particularly good number of the latter roaming the lake this year. Also some great perch fishing to be had. Start looking in about 25' and work your way out. They should be moving a little shallower soon.

Josh

I have talked to a few guys coming off the water when I was fishing the river and they are not having any luck. There doing about as well as I am in the river lol pretty bad this year not sure why.

You can launch at one of two ramps at the mouth of the river in Bayfield. Goderich has a couple good ramps as well. A majority of the mature Chinook will be either stale in the lake or already upriver. Trolling with long leads higher in the water colomn in anywhere from 15-90+' of water or more may find some bows and coho's. There is a particularly good number of the latter roaming the lake this year. Also some great perch fishing to be had. Start looking in about 25' and work your way out. They should be moving a little shallower soon.

Josh

Have you seen the rivers?for someone on here who goes on like they know all ud think you would know that there's not a chance in hell the fish are up river. Mouth of rivers mite be full but the river itself definitely isnt

Thanks bud....he said he's going in a couple weeks;)

And if you read my entire post you'd see that I said they'd be stale in the lake OR upriver. All depends on precipitation.....

And yes, I've seen the rivers. And there have been atleast a few fish moving up them for over a month. Bigger tribs have had decent pushes of Chinny's along with some Ho's and Steelies. Smaller, shallower tribs have only seen movement of over anxious Chinook for the most part. The return of the cooler weather will definitely see more trout poking into the lower ends of all the tribs again tho:)

Josh

Last edited:
After this rain today, I think they would be on the move. I have never fished Lake Huron before and am eager to try my luck. Thanks for the advice so far gents.

I was radar watching all day yesterday and a majority of the rain missed the southern Huron tribs:( And despite raining all day in St thomas and along Erie's north shore the tribs have hardly budged. I think that the ground drank all that water yesterday.

Josh

Last edited:
Have you seen the rivers?for someone on here who goes on like they know all ud think you would know that there's not a chance in hell the fish are up river. Mouth of rivers mite be full but the river itself definitely isnt

Josh knows a thing or two about a thing or two.. don't kid yourself. There are Chini's and Cohos in the rivers right now let alone in two weeks.

Josh knows a thing or two about a thing or two.. don't kid yourself. There are Chini's and Cohos in the rivers right now let alone in two weeks.

Thanks man....always learning but I do believe I have a pretty good knowledge on the in and outs of salmonid fishing, particularly on Lake Huron and it's tribs. I've spent WAAAAAY more than my fair share of time chasing those fish over the years:) and feel pretty comfortable in giving advice to those that ask for some assistance on those fisheries.....Not too offended by the comments of an apparent pothead perch fisherman:p

Josh

Are you talking about the guy that broke down and no one would respond including the Coast Guard? I still wonder about that whole exchange that morning.

Nope not me I'm just the pothead on here, not dense enough to take off to hastings without enough gas though my tank is always full.

Josh
Josh,you mentioned Goderich having a couple of good ramps as well.I haven`t been up to Goderich since Spring,and back then I noticed the Boat Ramp in the Harbour by the Grain Elevator`s chained with a lock on it,with a yearly membership only to be allowed a key to use it.The membership Fee is expensive,if you were only going to be using the Boat Ramp very little,if I was a local resident of Goderich,no problem.My question is,is this Boat Ramp in the Harbour,open to the public again? I remember it also having an Honour System back a few year`s ago,were you put the Boat Launch Ramp fee in a locked Box.It would be nice to have this Harbour Boat Ramp open again,because the other Boat Ramp(by the old Train Tressle),has vehicle`s with their Boat`s & Trailer`s lined up past the old Train Tressle on the weekend`s,or whenever the Fishing is HOT!! I don`t feel like towing my Boat up that way,just to sit in a long line-up,if there is only the one Boat Ramp to use.Thank-You in Advance,& Tight Lines!!

Yes that ramp is open and hasn't been busy...pay at the gas pump or wait till you get back you might have a card on your windshield. I haven't been up there for a couple of weeks its was slow then,...good luck.

You had me excited there Josh when you mentioned previously about 2 ramps being open in Goderich.The Harbour Ramp was always my Favourite,that`s why I was getting all geared up to go that way for some Rivermouth Trolling weather,& river condition permitting,Thank-You berkly(above post) for your reply & mentioning about the inner harbour ramp being open.Now all of us just need to wait for some more cooler weather & also some even more rain,to bring in the Salmon & Rainbow`s. Tight Lines,Everyone!!

Yes that ramp is open and hasn't been busy...pay at the gas pump or wait till you get back you might have a card on your windshield. I haven't been up there for a couple of weeks its was slow then,...good luck.
Thanks berkly for your reply back.Sorry to hear about your luck a couple of weeks ago,but it should only get better soon,with some more cooler weather,and a lot of rain.Good Luck,& Tight Lines!!

Well with forecast this weekend, leaving the boat at home, going to be chucking spoons at the river mouth.

Back