Bass why cant i find them?

Bernie Rienties

3 trips out. This month. First port maitland. Tried off rock pier then east to gull island i think its called.3 hours nothing. 2 weeks ago out from hoovers in nanticoke. Went up almost all of peacocknpoint then using nviionics hit all humps. 3 hours and nothing
Today port dover hit every hump within 2 miles of pier and nothing.marked nothing in deep water either.are they further out ?

we fish port dover area down to hoover point which is way past hoover marine if yourun them chasing minnows the fishing is outstand ,thisyear.we don't fish water over 15 and sometimes go ontoshelves in 29-25 fow

we fish port dover area down to hoover point which is way past hoover marine if yourun them chasing minnows the fishing is outstand ,thisyear.we don't fish water over 15 and sometimes go ontoshelves in 29-25 fow
So u just drive around untill they show up on radar?

No we have specific shoals and weed beds marked. We move from one to another .The fish rarely show up on radar. We can see them in the water though. Our experience would indicate they have not yet moved into deeper water. Mymachine was working funny earlier. I meant to say if you run into them chasing minnows the fishing is outstanding. They do seem to be moving a lot. a weed bedon Friday that was hot had nothing yesterday.

No we have specific shoals and weed beds marked. We move from one to another .The fish rarely show up on radar. We can see them in the water though. Our experience would indicate they have not yet moved into deeper water. Mymachine was working funny earlier. I meant to say if you run into them chasing minnows the fishing is outstanding. They do seem to be moving a lot. a weed bedon Friday that was hot had nothing yesterday.
We caught over 40 one night and next day all gone .ya i know they move.thanks

So you just random troll around till you find them then?

Hey Bernie,

All of us die hard smallie chasers go through the same thing. Here today gone tomorrow. This time of year smallies scatter and spread out making them tough to find. There may be only one or two smallies using a certain rock pile. Early July the are still grouped up and much easier to target. Also wind direction plays a big role. For instance, down at Long Point a couple of days of East winds usually cools the water temperatures closer to shore and smallies will move up shallower. One thing I do this time of year is to idle around (smallies can be using depths as deep as 35 feet) with a drop shot or tube at the ready. If I idle over a rock pile /shoal/hump and mark fish I will put the boat into neutral toss the bait over the stern and see if there are any takers. (be prepared a number of fish I mark using this technique are sheephead however they do put up a good fight) If there are smallies there I circle back around to make a waypoint and add it to my milk run. It doesn't take long before you build up a number of spots on your graph. There is no secret to catching Lake Erie smallies. You have to put in idle time to find where they are living. They will continue to use the same offshore spots year after year. P.S. I don't like to troll because I never know if baits like Rapalas are running at the correct depth or if they are close enough to the bottom. They also get fouled with weeds. That is why I like to use tubes/drop shots.
Hope this helps,

Jeff

Back