bacon on the corner

If anyone needs a great paddle I was told Hudson Bay co !!!
A little more $$ but you get what you pay for

Keep the OPP and MNR spot checks up !!! The honest every day people who have nothing to hide don't mind there 1% who might disagree
To me all the same check cars for booze licence insurance ( Im speaking from experience as been laid up for a year because of this !!!!! ) same a boat licence booze and fish in the cooler
If your breaking the law then suck it up and pay the price !!!

Last edited:
Just a heads up to anyone out on the bay off St.Williams. There are four cops at the main intersection. Take lake shore if you need to avoid them. No need to wreck a good day on the bay, by being harassed by the opp.

I may not agree with everything paddle marker has posted on this thread; but I will say thank you for the heads up. Not that I have done anything to hide or worry about while being stopped; I just hate being stopped!
Same goes for the other drivers out there that will flash their headlights, warning of a radar trap.
I always flash back or wave a thank you; because yea I was likely 10 or so over the speed limit.
The purpose of the cop's is still served, by me slowing down; but they're not getting any of my money doing so.

Dan.

Last edited:
Didn't want to get drawn into this kind of a discussion as it is the type the fishing forums discuss in slow fishing times.
But I have read so many unreasonable comments that couldn't resist...

There are few things that irk me more than statements like these:

"If you haven't done anything bad, why do you mind been questioned" - It is called freedom, democracy and human rights guys. Same reason why the "carding program" in Toronto was eliminated recently. You can't randomly stop people on the street and ask them for their private info and expect them to cooperate. And if they rightfully refuse to do so it doesn't by any means prove that they have done anything wrong. They simply value and cherish their rights.
"If such and such can only save one life it is worth it" - blah, blah....what a lame/stupid excuse to interfere with your rights and freedom by restricting them further.

People who say "I got stopped, it only took me a minute and I didn't mind" have no idea how wide open they leave the door to limiting their own human rights.
One does not need to subject himself to unreasonable searches/stopping/questioning, etc to prove he hasn't done anything wrong. In fact it is the other way around - others need to prove he has done something wrong using legal methods.

This reminds me....few days ago I heard on the radio, how the whole suburb of Windsor (I think) was asked to submit DNA evidence in order to assist with search for some suspect. Many in the past have faught for all of us to have the freedom and human rights we enjoy. Please value them and protect them. Don't give them away lightly because when you need them for yourself it might be too late as they maybe gone.

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

Last edited:
this is the fisherman chatting here WTF // YESTERDAY SOME OUT OF TOWNERS HAD TO BE RESCUED OFF THE ICE BY PORT ROWAN FIRE VOL.. AND OFF ST WILLIAMS ANOTHER RESCUE //NOW WHOS STUPID HERE 3 DAYS WARNING THAT THIS storm was on its way oh my DONT PULL ME OVER AND CHECK ME ITS AGAINST THE RULES HAHAHHAHAH these are family men who volunteer and risk their lives for dumb as///s/// peepople aND YOU GUYS SAY ITS NOT RIGHT THAT THE OPP CECK YOU GIVE ME A BREAK///these guys rescued jerks shoul;d be charged and pay for my tax dollars working to save lives wtf

People who say "I got stopped, it only took me a minute and I didn't mind" have no idea how wide open they leave the door to limiting their own human rights.
Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

Well I wish the drunk that hit me and had no insurance and now can't be found was stopped 5 minutes earlier in a spot check !!!
What are you guys saying do whatever till you get caught then they have a right to charge you ???? Wow !!
So same idea if 4 CO,s were standing at that stop ......... guys take the back road if you are over your limit ???

What are you guys saying do whatever till you get caught then they have a right to charge you ????

In fact this is exactly how the democracy in Canada (and in any first world country) works. You are deemed NOT guilty until proven otherwise. Period.
You cannot be assumed guilty and subjected to unreasonable searches, questioning etc. You are not obligated to prove your innocence, others must to prove your guilt. Good thing it is that way. The alternative is the totalitarian/police state many countries in the world have had or still have. Good thing we are not one of them. Lets keep it that way.
It is surprising how such a basic human rights issue is so widely misunderstood.
No law can guarantee you 100% safety. You cannot legislate stupidity. We are all responsible for our own actions. Going to the extreme and surrendering all your human rights in pursuit of illusive "100% safety guarantee" is such a slippery slope that no one should even consider it. One day you maybe the one in dire need of your human rights. Same rights you are so lightly giving away.

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

this is the fisherman chatting here WTF // YESTERDAY SOME OUT OF TOWNERS HAD TO BE RESCUED OFF THE ICE BY PORT ROWAN FIRE VOL.. AND OFF ST WILLIAMS ANOTHER RESCUE //NOW WHOS STUPID HERE 3 DAYS WARNING THAT THIS storm was on its way oh my DONT PULL ME OVER AND CHECK ME ITS AGAINST THE RULES HAHAHHAHAH these are family men who volunteer and risk their lives for dumb as///s/// peepople aND YOU GUYS SAY ITS NOT RIGHT THAT THE OPP CECK YOU GIVE ME A BREAK///these guys rescued jerks shoul;d be charged and pay for my tax dollars working to save lives wtf

P.M.
Enough, lets get back to fishing, there's lots of other political forum's for red neck ranting? And I.F, your well worded, I'm not. But our hero's didn't go over there to protect your right to scarf down a 40, and maybe then take out anyone close to me. You see, I have the right to protect them to?? That is, if you don't get caught in that so right's detaining check, would you be better with them if they were done by families that have lost?
They also gave me the human right to stop that from happening, and, as a collective, the MAJORITY, agree's with policing, sorry to break this to you, YOU CAN"T DRIVE DRUNK!
Myself and my buddies are no angles, quite the opposite, but yes, older. The time's, they are a changing, here's a hint, make plans for a safe ride, if that doesn't infringe on your human right's to much?
Experiences, spent the last three decades first responding accident scene's. P.M., as a res-ponder we all carry the carnage, broken bodies and part's, no matter what the weight, fire, opp, abulance, road worker's and utility. So you saw a fire will exhume scene , there not all that way?
Your beef's about wages, fully agree

A lot of you make very valid points. The OPP need some sort of presence in and around the bay. However paddle maker is correct. There becomes a time when that line gets crossed and it becomes about revenue and being lazy. If anyone thinks that revenue does not play a part in it than they are living in a fantasy world. This is a community ravaged by petty crime,stealing,drug abuse, and known meth and Crack addicts and houses, more attention is paid to a few retired guys going ice fishing on a Wednesday afternoon. Simply mind boggling. Why is this??? Because it easy. Because these fisherman may have a few bucks. Because they can't afford to prosecute or even pursue the drug addicts down town Simcoe. Root cause .....easy...they have a monopoly when it comes to policing ...and they have priced themselves out of fair market....this type of stuff never happened to this extent when we used regional policing. Things have changed and gotten much worse the last few years. It's true that what little freedoms we have left should be protected to say the least. It's too bad we get drawn into a conversation like this about something that should not affect everyday people
Especially fisherman.

Happy fishing and let's protect OUR rights.

P.M.
Enough, lets get back to fishing, there's lots of other political forum's for red neck ranting? And I.F, your well worded, I'm not. But our hero's didn't go over there to protect your right to scarf down a 40, and maybe then take out anyone close to me. You see, I have the right to protect them to?? That is, if you don't get caught in that so right's detaining check, would you be better with them if they were done by families that have lost?
They also gave me the human right to stop that from happening, and, as a collective, the MAJORITY, agree's with policing, sorry to break this to you, YOU CAN"T DRIVE DRUNK!
Myself and my buddies are no angles, quite the opposite, but yes, older. The time's, they are a changing, here's a hint, make plans for a safe ride, if that doesn't infringe on your human right's to much?
Experiences, spent the last three decades first responding accident scene's. P.M., as a res-ponder we all carry the carnage, broken bodies and part's, no matter what the weight, fire, opp, abulance, road worker's and utility. So you saw a fire will exhume scene , there not all that way?
Your beef's about wages, fully agree
Can't miss I don't drink. So I don't drive. drunk. I seriously was giving fellow fishermen on quads a heads up so they didn't try to ride their quads past the arbitrary line. The cops are are to power hungry to be reasonable in that situation.

We all need to go do some fishing guys:)
But since you got me sucked into this one here are few interesting facts down this alley...

Did you know that all over Europe it is very common for motorist to signal each other flashing their headlights warning others there is speed trap coming up? Everyone does it and people thank each other for doing it. Now days in Canada people use social networking (Twitter, etc.) for the same purpose. In fact just last week I was listening to a radio show where a lawyer was explaining to listeners there is nothing illegal in doing so. A bit later in the show a cop was invited to share his thoughts on the subject. He agreed there is nothing illegal or wrong with it. In fact he defended the practice as a way of reducing speeding in areas with speed traps. There you have it....what PM did was in a sense flashing his headlights or posting the location on Twitter. Perfectly fine and legal.
That said, my point was not the specific PM case, but the more general principal of human rights and democratic practices that are there for reason. I.e. to protect all of us. Therefore defending our rights should be of top priority for all of us. Simply put the opposite is not a valuable alternative.
Now lets hope this big damp of snow we got last night didn't extend into Lake Simcoe, as it will make travel difficult while chasing those tasty white fish:unsure:

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

I was there cops sit in there cars volunteer firefighters got the job done.
paddle maker you state your a "volunteer firefighter".
Is this really true?
Now you've hit my pet peeve.
Any "volunteer firefighter" I've meet from Southern Ontario is in no way a volunteer but a on-call part-time employee.
Unless you receive no financial compensation your not a volunteer. Any "volunteer firefighter" I've talked to admits to receiving pay. Different services use different ways to divide the pay but they get paid.
When the term "volunteer firefighter" is used many of the general public believe they are true volunteers and have no idea they get paid for their services. And many "volunteer firefighters" play on this and never volunteer the fact they get paid.
Yes the service they provide is vital but in most cases it far from a volunteer service.
This comes from someone who has spent a great many hours actually volunteering in the community.

ride programs are not random, they have set times and locations where they are too be carried out....and they used to require a judge to sign off on them. (maybe not anymore ..unsure) There must be at least 2 officers present and when in busier areas they usually have 4 or 5 so not too slow down traffic to much.

I would say that 60% of the time out ice fishing on erie or lake simcoe I have been stopped by either an OPP or CO........they have been very reasonable, and have let me off with warnings several times, when they could have charged me.....so i don't believe the police give a shit about generating revenue........there doing there job....they have ability to use discrection........some people learn with a warning ...others need a ticket or loose there licence.

I believe paddlemaker was stating where there was a spotcheck giving people a heads up doesnt mean he supports drunk drivers etc.Yes Woodsman volunteer firefighters do get paid and they should they are readily trained and updated and essential to a small towns well being.You would never get a regular firefighter out of bed for what they pay these guys plus they dont get retention pay lol.

Puddle jumper...it has lots to do with generating revenue. You are right that a lot are reasonable and doing there job. What you forgot is that some abuse it and no one polices that. I think most reasonable people would take it better if there wasn't so much petty crime etc out in the open for eyes to see and nothing done with it. There are many theories to why this is...you choose to believe the one you like. Just has to be something better to do with 4 OPP cars in saint Williams checking ice fisherman!!!!! If crime is that low and nothing to do????? What would happen at your job???? Sent home or lay off that's what!! Back to the subject at hand...paddle maker was simply giving a warning. If the OPP have the right to stop you for no apparent reason with no knowledge or suspicion of breaking any law then common people have the right to warn others as they see fit. It's a two way street !!! Protect our rights before you lose them all! Now back to fishing please!

[QUOTE="icefisherman, post: 63321, member: 2317] flashing their headlights warning others there is speed trap coming up... he defended the practice as a way of reducing speeding in areas with speed traps. There you have it....what PM did was in a sense flashing his headlights or posting the location on Twitter. Perfectly fine and legal.[/QUOTE]

That's a false equivelancy if I ever read one. I flash my lights to warn speeders of speed traps. I even flash my lights to warn of azzhole drivers or to trick azzhole drivers into slowing down. The goal of a speed trap is/should be to get people to slow down. By flashing your lights, you can get people to slow down. By flashing your lights, you can't get people to be less drunk.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks