Fishing Report Aug 13. nanticoke

SIX-GRAND

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
we Made to the trolling grounds( about 2mile S. Of shoal) at 610pm trolling by 6:20.
2x 4-5color lead strait back with #7 flicker shad jointed. 2 dipsy set to 1.5 out 65ft & 2dipsy set at 0.5 out 50&60ft all pulling #7 flicker shad shallow.
Started trolling E at 59fow. no hook up until 65fow. Cought 3 till we hit 68fow then nothing. Went to 73fow and turned around to get back to 67fow, fish on again. Started trolling N-S..3 rods curl over. Turned around and 3 on again then the other 3 rods go within seconds of each other, 6 fish on all of a sudden. Pinned one hell of a school of feeding fish. Made circle and figure 8s around where we figured the school was holding up and it was none stop. If it wasn't double it was 3-4 rods going at once.
Slick smelt color was tops for the 1st bit of fishing but when it became heavy overcast the chartreuse colors really took over. Fished till 9pm when the rain started threatening. According to the score keeper 55 walley made it to the boat. 10-15 lost every where behind the boat. Another 10-15 hits that didn't hook up. Nothing but walleye caught. The biggest fish caught&kept may have been 4lbs at best. Majority of the fish were well under 20inchs.
2.9-3.2mph was best. 2-2.7mph still set them off but not near to the level of the faster speed. Was a crazy bite going on out there. Literally one after another. Absaluatly crazy!
Seen only 2 other boats fishing. The conditions on the Erie waters were Marvalous this evening.

Attachments

• 20190814_012929.jpg
    20190814_012929.jpg
    607.5 KB · Views: 181
we Made to the trolling grounds( about 2mile S. Of shoal) at 610pm trolling by 6:20.
2x 4-5color lead strait back with #7 flicker shad jointed. 2 dipsy set to 1.5 out 65ft & 2dipsy set at 0.5 out 50&60ft all pulling #7 flicker shad shallow.
Started trolling E at 59fow. no hook up until 65fow. Cought 3 till we hit 68fow then nothing. Went to 73fow and turned around to get back to 67fow, fish on again. Started trolling N-S..3 rods curl over. Turned around and 3 on again then the other 3 rods go within seconds of each other, 6 fish on all of a sudden. Pinned one hell of a school of feeding fish. Made circle and figure 8s around where we figured the school was holding up and it was none stop. If it wasn't double it was 3-4 rods going at once.
Slick smelt color was tops for the 1st bit of fishing but when it became heavy overcast the chartreuse colors really took over. Fished till 9pm when the rain started threatening. According to the score keeper 55 walley made it to the boat. 10-15 lost every where behind the boat. Another 10-15 hits that didn't hook up. Nothing but walleye caught. The biggest fish caught&kept may have been 4lbs at best. Majority of the fish were well under 20inchs.
2.9-3.2mph was best. 2-2.7mph still set them off but not near to the level of the faster speed. Was a crazy bite going on out there. Literally one after another. Absaluatly crazy!
Seen only 2 other boats fishing. The conditions on the Erie waters were Marvalous this evening.
WOW!! :oops: Now that’s fishing @SIX-GRAND!! I have never fished that area before,mainly because it is too far of a drive for me,plus that port glasgow,bruce & burwell have been “Hot Fishing” as well closer to me,but I always love reading the fishing report’s from the outer bay area from yourself & other angler’s that fish there & tight lines to all!! ?????

Awesome report! Nice work! I'm taking the wife out there today for an afternoon fish... I'm going to use your tips. I have yet to get my limit this year.... Seems the bite shuts off when ol' Frank hits the waters lol

@FrankReynolds use @SIX-GRAND tips and tricks....believe me they work. He gave me a few pointers last week and for the first time this year we had two man limit in under 30 minutes....mind you it took us about 2 hours to find the fish, but once we did it was non stop crazy action with a few double headers.

Sunday that’s what I also found 2.8 mph +

Attachments

• 1FEB4848-5EAA-4C0F-9371-DB72DCA5A069.jpeg
    1FEB4848-5EAA-4C0F-9371-DB72DCA5A069.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 90
Aug. 14.
Old downrigger fishermen friend of mine wanted to fish this evening at the same grounds i had been. I had my catch taking a hot oil bath for supper so Showed him the spot on a map where I was fishing.."right there,good luck!"
He must had found the school..
4 down riggers with 8lb ball. 2x 25ft down 2x 30ft down with 10-15ft leads. Cruising at 2.8mph.
1 lost. Boated 35 walleye. Boated&Iced 1rainbow around 6lbs. Figures they started at 645 went till 9pm. Nothing bigger then 3lbs.
"Once we hit them we were pulling fish on the riggers a good hour strait! One after another after another!"

Congrats Six-Grand on an outstanding catch of pics...thats the 2nd best report I have heard so far this month for August.

A buddy of mine and his partner were out August 3...they fished all day on that offshore wind.. hooked & caught 200+ pics..the program..Lymans off dispsys & riggers were there none stop baits..and the bows they caught were big..

School of fish like that, I would have stopped and jigged, so much more fun on a light rod.
Friday looks like a good day to drift or jig.
yeah man That's exactly the plane for the Next outing. Had to dig out & dust off the ice fishing box. jigging raps,ripping raps,champ spoons & bullys are all ready for washing. Friday is looking like the day for sure.

You are damaging the fishery for upcoming years. No one needs more than 6 fish. Honey Bea
Is that right... well Yes I am damaging the fishery for upcomming years ..There is going to be more then a few fish that will be wise to hit a certain few lure so fast any more. This 1 man and his 1or 2 partners will single handedly snuff out this great fishery for all the generations to come 2rods at a time one fish at a time. I probably could too!.. If I could figure out how to catch millions of walleye as the nets do using just my rods and reels.
I'm not the only fishermen out there who knows how to catch fish in great numbers for shits & giggles. It was almost a year to the day a member posted a 50fish evening on LPB. I didn't give a rats ass how many he kept,never even crossed my mind. it was the fact he landed 50 in few hrs that got me. The next day I had to try and see if was possible. it is possible and was fun.
Now Mick informs me he knows a few fellows that had a 200 fish day on Erie this year! I have to try that now! I don't care if they kept any or all. A 200 fish day!! I don't doubt it at all but I will have too try it for my self becouse I can!

I ALWAYS LEAVE SEED..ALWAYS!
We had 50+smallies days back in July on more the 1 occasion this year. Didn't keep 1. Not one! I'm not shy to fry bass by any means I just didn't feel like keeping any..hell I didn't even want to fish bass my company did.
what's the difference if I catch bass,panfish,pike or walleye in stupid numbers and release them all? No C&R on walleye? Who the hell said I kept them all or even any? And now if I did keep them all don't worry about it! I will be the 1 paying for it if i had to stand and awnser before the man or the lord, Not you!
I have nieces and nephews that love fishing. I'm always looking ahead for them so they can have the same fun there uncle has when they get to do it on there own & there way.
And Just so you know you little squint We made Short work of our share of that 55 at a family gathering,18 Plus the cheeks. Now that was enough to go around but another 10 wouldn't hurt or have went to wast. Luckily we had 50 jumbo perch from burwell to add to the pile.
Don't start cry baby shit if it's not for you. Don't Buzz kill just Buzz off Honey Bea.
TO EACH HIS OWN AND TO EACH HIS OWN WAY.

Go get a few while you can. There are 1000s likely millions of them out there rite now. There has to be! look at all the miles&miles of nets from Maitland to burewell and beyond.. Not to mention the U.S. side.
I'll bet They are having a couple 50fish days this year too..with a couple throw backs for seed.

if I figure out how to reel in even just hundreds of walleye a day and keep them all with my 4 dipsy & 4leadcore rods i am affriad its going to be all she wrote for the future lake Erie walleye fisherie for you armchair fishermen and maybe even fellow anglers on Erie!
My apologies in advance when that day comes.

@Bruce Bowyer Estimates put the population as high as 130000000 walleye in the lake. And this springs hatch could quite easily add another 50000000 to the total.....if you think the current sportfishery is gonna put a noticeable dent in that your out to lunch :D

And it sounds like he wasn't fishing any deeper than 30' so no issues releasing fish at all. If someone was fun fishing after a limit and targeting deep fish that wouldn't release that might be a different story...

Josh

Last edited:
@SIX-GRAND you wrote a well thought out response.

When I see a chirp like that, my mind automatically says, "humph, another jello sherrif", similar to those who count fish in pictures etc etc etc. :)

Maybe I am all alone on this thought, but if the walleye population does not get controlled through fisheries, what will happen to it? Disease or starvation? I have seen deer populations explode, only to be destroyed by disease or starvation. I really hope nothing like this happens to the walleye fishery in Lake Erie.
I have noticed a lot of empty bellies on the walleyes that made it to my table, and that is concerning to me. Not if somebody goes out for a day of catch and release fishing.

Lake Erie is a relatively fertile lake. The Walleye in Erie grow faster than most lakes due to abundant food sources. If the forage base becomes depleted growth will simply slow down....they definitely won't starve or become diseased. I keep hearing lots of talk about empty bellies but the fish sure look healthy ;)

That said, I would definitely encourage everyone to go out and do their best to prevent overpopulation taking home limits of the tasty buggers whenever possible :)

Josh

They feed on whatever is available, not just minnows. Walleye are pretty adaptable creatures.

Josh

I had a 7 lb. Cough up a mudpuppie on the floor of the boat a few years back. Grossed my girls right out.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks