Fishing Report ANY TAGGED PERCH IN PT. DOVER CAUGHT?

fishstalker

Spoke with an Old PD Boy today...he said one year no tagged fish caught?
Any reports would be appreciated.
My be able to wet my line Monday and hopefully Tuesday.

Maybe those Big Pike ( shown here) heard the derby is on and have chased them out??

Bought tickets this morn and the girl told my grandaughter no tagged fish caught yet

As mentioned no tags yet, We've been fishing it for 6 days and no tags and not much of anything but a few Catfish, Sheephead, Silver Bass, and 4 Pike our group has caught.
I was hoping for good perch fishing this year... your not giving me much hope FF. :cry::)

Last edited:
No perch left in erie!!!! Didnt anyone get the memo from 2 years ago...I have been down to Dover a few times in last 2 weeks and have not seen a single perch unless it was on a bun!

In 2017 I caught 124 yellow perch and kept 91. Last year I did a little better in numbers caught, catching 140 yellows, but I only kept 91 again. Not as good as I did 3, 4 or 5 years ago, but I still did ok.

On July 19th last year, I was down on the pier in Bruce, (only day I got skunked last year) lake was calm and very clear and you could see that there were THOUSANDS of minnows on all sides of the pier.....problem was, those minnows weren't minnows, they were itty bitty yellow perch. I caught 35 emerald shiners that day, but at least 300-400 little yellows while I was trying to get some usable bait. Everyone else was having the same problem. Very few emerald shiners, but lots of little bitty yellow perch in their minnow nets which you cannot use as bait.

I haven't been out yet this year.:( (not for lack of wanting to go tho) Been busy with other things the boss lady put on my "to do list.' I was thinking I might go today, nope other things to do. Can't go on Wednesday since they're coming to install the new shed and someone has to be here. Can't go Thursday as I have an appointment. Rain and wind in the forecast as well.:mad: I've had enough rain and wind.

Might be next weekend before I can manage to get out of the "to do list" for a day or two.:unsure:

Hopefully I’ll be fishing mon tues so much to do ?
I have seen 4 small perch caught all on the west pier last week only cats for me ?
Thanks all on your reports ?

Hopefully I’ll be fishing mon tues so much to do ?
I have seen 4 small perch caught all on the west pier last week only cats for me ?
Thanks all on your reports ?
if the cats were of any size could make a tasty meal out of them--being out of cold water and all that

Fished for perch out of Colechester today. Moved around alot but no perch no bait balls. Caught 4 eyes jigging & know they are hammering the eyes west of the harbour. All in all beauty day for the first trip out.

@LadyInRed… Young lady I also being one of those old timers we usually tend to a 'know a thing or two' because we've been around long enough to have seen 'a thing or two.' Unsure about the blooming lilacs but I hope the old timer's theory pans out for all of us eagerly waiting for the perch to show up. LOL!!! ? ? :D

@LadyInRed… Young lady I also being one of those old timers we usually tend to a 'know a thing or two' because we've been around long enough to have seen 'a thing or two.' Unsure about the blooming lilacs but I hope the old timer's theory pans out for all of us eagerly waiting for the perch to show up. LOL!!! ? ? :D
no no no ya got it all wrong---lissen to gramps here---will pick up AFTER the carnival leaves town and the day AFTER the derby ends
:p

Not a full blown old timer yet but on way down that road.
Lilac blooming is related to temperature and is a very reliable way of marking were u are in the spring.
I find the forsythia blooming another good indicator of the coming weather.
From what I have seen we are late by about 3 weeks weather wise.
Stained fast moving water is okay for fishing Steelhead but not much else in my experience

Growing up in Dover over the years, I will say the perch derby is staged to early in the year. The perch do come in but it is typically 2-4 weeks after the derby is over. As with anything, timing is the key. We need some warmer and drier days and they will arrive. I prefer the boat for fishing, but the kids like going down to fish off the pier, with the ever important Willies onion chips to snack on.

Water temps are still too cold. All the old times around town are saying the perch bite won't turn on until the lilacs bloom. Interesting theory, waiting to see if it pans out.

"OLD" is a state of mind. So, I'm not "old" depending on who you ask.:unsure: BUT-- My beard and my body say I am. :inpain:--- My son says I am :rolleyes:-- and a couple of my friends say I am.:meh: But, even though I am 6 years older than my wife, she says I am not.:happy: so as I said, it depends on who you ask :ROFLMAO:

The theory that the perch start biting when the lilacs bloom, that has to be FALSE because the lilacs in my yard started blooming about 3 weeks ago, (first the trees out front, then the bush in the yard) and although last year I did catch an itty bitty yellow perch first time out on May 5th, it wasn't until May 24th last year when I saw and caught any worth keeping.

My guess is with the water being so high and the water temps not yet warmed up all that much, they might be a little late this year, especially if we keep getting all these miserable rainy, windy days.:banghead:

I made it down to Pt Bruce yesterday and saw lots of white perch being caught, but nobody had even seen a yellow this year.

For us pier fishermen, IF the pattern remains what it's been for the past couple years this early in May, the white perch and silver bass will come in first, with the occasional catfish, sucker and carp. Then the farm animals show up in numbers.

Then usually about the third week in May just after the long weekend, the yellow perch show up sporadically, some worth keeping, many not, but they do eventually start getting bigger in numbers and size come June through to the the first week of July, then all of a sudden, just as soon as they showed up, they're gone and you won't see another one from the second week of July until MAYBE September or October, but usually before they come in, and once they're gone, you need a boat to find'em, and with all the walleye success the past two years, reports I've seen have indicated that even with a boat, finding those mythical yellow perch things hasn't been easy.

Back