Amhic lake/Beaver lake

fish4fun

The family and I heading up to amhic lake tomorrow for 5 days. I have not fished it in 15 years or so. We did ok catching decent lm bass and actually jumbo 12" plus perch. Just curious if anyone has had any recent experience on the lake. It is all part of the magnetawan river system. I have looked up the lake on the navionics web app and it appears to have deep cutting channels that run quite straight for a good distance and I think I will take a few of my Erie trolling weapons to try and troll these steep deep edges. Any info would be great ! I'll post when I get back. Good luck on Erie this week and weekend, wind looks to be settling down after this rain event!

Amhic Lake, wow that brings back memories. I caught my first Walleye there in 81'. Things may have changed since then. We bottom bounced live Leaches on a Lindy Rig and pink floating jig head. I couldn't tell how deep, no sonar on our little tinny then. Our sonar was to drop the weight and count, 1 steamboat, 2 steamboat. I think it was 3 feet per steamboat with 1/2 oz. weight.

I just got back from a week at Cecebe (lake above Ahmic). The lake had surface temps of 76-77 at 6am every morning. It was tough fishing, even for bass. Pike and bass came slow trolling crank baits (perch finish) in 20 fow. On my last day I managed to find fish in 35-40 fow. I tried to troll deep with crankbaits/worm harnesses and also tried I tried still fishing with minnows/leeches/worms with no interest from the fish I was marking. I resorted to jigging ice fishing spoons (Williams Ice Jig in Gold/Silver) and managed to get 3 walleye in 10 minutes. Then the sun got above the trees and it shut down. Good luck.

Thanks, for the info. Lol just rolled in today, tenting, and of course posing down rain! I have an absolutely amazing ability to book camping week, the wettest week of every year. We have been in the drought of the centry until I pitched a tent. Lol

Good luck fishin Amhic Lake...I drove by it many times on the way north to fish and hunt!

wind settled down early this mornin and for most of today...I was planning on goin out of stanley for a nice enjoyable evening fish tonight...well the south wind is building again to 15 knots early evening..so forget it...typical full moon conditions which can blow brisk winds before and after...the weather this fishin season sucks...what happen to light and variable? ...we use to get that days in a row..especially through the dog days in August...screwy fishin weather for sure..

As a rule when fishin is slow live bait is the best...all my northern lakes fishin is in the spring.. my all time favorite was fishin ice out lakers and specs every May in the back lakes of the Algoma region(y)

Takin a portable sonar unit is a must..I made up a clamp on transducer mount..my portable eagle takes double As batterys and they lasted pretty good...

Last edited:
Back