Afternoon lake conditions at Haldimand east of Nanticoke

Bassassin

Last year I posted morning conditions for what I can see from the window. Got my inspiration from Horty that does it for Pt. Stanley. The lake is dead calm in the morning 9 of 10 times. So I will post what I see in the afternoon. I know many come out after work from Hamilton, Brantford and Niagara area and maybe I can help them save some precious fuel and save them the trip. Used to happen to us all the time. Get to Nanticoke to find the Perfect Storm and no wind in Hamilton. That is if I'm here to post it. If I'm here in the AM and see terrible conditions I'll also post in the AM.

Thanks
Johnny D/Selkirk

There is a slight breeze out of the west/south west. Gentle 1 foot or less rollers out to about a mile. I can see some whitecaps starting a mile out. I would think the wind is picking up way out as I can see whitecaps with only a slight breeze here. I think it's going to blow up a bit, we'll see.

Good to go now.

12:40

Germany 3- Portugal 0 at the half.

Last edited:
Good on you WTP for putting in the extra effort!! Im only in Jarvis but I know I would appreciate any extra info before I headed out. If you don't mind me asking you, have you heard of a place called Woodlawn??? I am not sure where it is but heard rumours that there is good perch fishing sometimes??

So who should I believe? Environment Canada calling for severe thunderstorms and high winds or WTP??? Think I'll play it safe and stay home...

Good kayaking conditions?:cool:

Yes, you have to see my new one, built in wet bar.

Good on you WTP for putting in the extra effort!! Im only in Jarvis but I know I would appreciate any extra info before I headed out. If you don't mind me asking you, have you heard of a place called Woodlawn??? I am not sure where it is but heard rumours that there is good perch fishing sometimes??

No problem @tow-mo, Woodlawn is the area at the mouth of the creek that is just west of Selkirk Provincial Park. Haven't heard of any action yet. Good all summer usually. Head east from Hoovers around to the east side of Peacock to the creek mouth. Some weekends it looks like a parking lot. I always go mid week. The water there is about 7 to 12 feet. Many rocks, beware. I don't boot it anywhere long that stretch of the lakeshore, actually anywhere it shows blue on my GPS. Rocks just below the surface, everywhere, especially now we really don't have any rocks showing, and I know they are there.

While I'm at it, perfect walleye chop, nice night for a boat ride. No real change all day, never did blow up.

Was in Hagersville this afternoon, 28C, lakeshore 20C. Natural A/C, I love it.

So who should I believe? Environment Canada calling for severe thunderstorms and high winds or WTP??? Think I'll play it safe and stay home...

@G.Mech, no forecasts or predictions here from me, just what I see out the window like Horty does. Go out or don't, it's always up to you. First day trying to do something nice and I get someone mouthing off. You are very welcome. I have to rethink this.

lol-never happened,like myself,he can see the lake out his bk door,not a sat.???

@G.Mech, no forecasts or predictions here from me, just what I see out the window like Horty does. Go out or don't, it's always up to you. First day trying to do something nice and I get someone mouthing off. You are very welcome. I have to rethink this.
I do it for the few,that I fish with an ,don,t live this close to the lake,believe it or not your choice!!!!,I also can stop at anytime:confused::p:p

Yea Horty, I love when a weather man is giving the report outside the studio and he has his umbrella up and actually says out load, a 70% chance of rain and he's being rained on. That would be 100%, no?

Weatherman is the only job where you can be wrong 70% of the time and not get fired.

Just seems a little hypocritical to come on here preaching safety all the time & then report a 'perfect walleye chop' and 'good night for a boat ride' when there is a severe thunderstorm watch in effect that's all.....do what you like.

Last edited:
with the price of gas now, it is sure nice of whats the point and horty to give reports of the lakes, it is good when people step up and try and help other people, I have over the years come to learn no matter what you try to do , someone will always complain about something, I actually think you guys should have a special spot for just weather and lake reports, so it is easier to get to, just don,t let the naysayers get to you.

I do it for the few,that I fish with an ,don,t live this close to the lake,believe it or not your choice!!!!,I also can stop at anytime:confused::p:p

No issues whatsoever with you guys posting your weather observations, I look at them myself as do lots of other guys; keep them up. Also, I have no problem with anyone's safety advice. I was simply suggesting that may not be a good idea to say that 'it's a perfect night for a boat ride' when every reputable weather service in the area is posting severe weather advisories and there's active weather systems all around us... just doesn't seem to be consistent.

Anyway, we all understand that it is up to us to decide to go or not but this was a little misleading as far as I'm concerned.

Enough said on the matter, feel free to trash away at will.

Last edited:
The lake is dead calm with a slight haze on the horizon. Wind is a soft breeze from the south. Still waiting for that thunderstorm. Looks like it might pass by us as it is north of here according to Doppler Radar. It sure looks like a duzzie. 13:33.

Belgium 1 Algeria 1/ 75 minute mark second half.

Heading out this afternoon, this is what I see now. About 5K out of the SW. Small 6" peaks on water, no whitecaps. Feels like rain any second. Not a day to go out there in my opinion. Unstable conditions.

Walleye are starting to hit off Pt. Colbourne and Crystal Beach. The big 444 $10000.00 Walleye tourney is on. Will be a zoo out there. Launching up to 200 boats from 07:00 to ??? Will be interesting how they make out with this weather. We haven't had a drop of rain here through the entire week???? All around us lightning but nada here.

FYI only 90 boats in the tourney this year and 68 boats fishing big fish Friday. still going to be a zoo, we are planning on staying away from the pack if possible! Thanks for the wave update.

FYI only 90 boats in the tourney this year and 68 boats fishing big fish Friday. still going to be a zoo, we are planning on staying away from the pack if possible! Thanks for the wave update.

Your welcome. Thanks for the 444 update @Jwalsh. Still going to be busy out there. We would have entered but only the 2 of us in my 19' Love boat. Also zero refunds unless deemed unsafe for all. Hope they all are able to fish and may good weather be on the menu, as well as wallys. Will be very interested to see what takes the trophy. I bet it's under 10 pounds.

As I type a very calm lake, zero wind. A Bass just jumped 3 feet from shore, come on opening, this watching the big Bass feed is killing me.

Back