Advice/opinion 15ft vs 16ft boat purchase

Quacker_Smacker

The wife and I are looking to purchase a boat it's just the two of us for fishing. I grew up fishing out of a Legend V165 with a side console so that would be my ideal boat. The question is I see a lot of 15 ft boat of the same caliber for sale and not many 16. To purchase a 15 will I miss that last foot or do you guys think we'll be good. Looking to perch and sm bass fish LP bay. Thanks in advance.

You will always miss that extra foot but it comes down to what your comfortable with.
I fished for many years out of a 14 1/2 Lund in my younger years on LP Bay and caught just as many fish as did out of bigger boats I had after that.

All depends on the beam & depth, One thing with a smaller boat you can fish more water than a bigger boat. easier to get in and out, storing,
trolling you can sit- relax with rod in hand, back troll, if no floor and things you don't care about getting wet pull the plug and let-er-drain.
Pull with a smaller vehicle, you CAN fish big water but CHOOSE your days.
I started out with small and went bigger, now down sized to a 16' side console love my 16', except my buds get wet:eek::LOL:.

We have a 14 footer now but we want to upgrade because it's a small shallow tinner that the weather has to be just right for me to feel comfortable going out in. I grew up in LP so I know the bay extremely well and respect the weather changes as I know it can change in a instant on the bay. I just want to be able to handle a bit more chop for those days when it may or may not change for the ride in.

You might have to pick and chose your days wisely. Erie can get nasty quick. Upgraded from a 16 to a 19ft legend a while back.

I have a 17 1/2 94" beam ! Handles erie when winds are less then 10kts but id good bigger if I could afford to lol

I run an older 16 1/2’ Starcraft side console with a 75 hp. Only problem I have is this boat is not wide. I have been on wider boats and they much more stable. Extra length wouldn’t hurt ;)

@Quacker_Smacker... One of these may fit may fit the bill for 15-16 ft. boats as all are deep and wide for their size.

Legend 15 Angler - length 15' 1" - 76" beam

angler_overhead_open.png

StarCraft 168 Pro Troller - Length 16' 0" - 81' beam
a80f874e-5bb5-4053-9010-d752ef7c308e.jpg

Lund 1625 Fury XL SS - Length 16' 3" - 80" beam

boats-fury-xl-1625-ss-overhead-closed-white-400x148.jpg

Smoker Craft 161 Pro Angler SC - Length 16"0" - 81" beam

smk_my16_proangler161_0.png

Aluma Craft Classic 165 CS - Length 16' 4" - 82" beam
Classic-165-CS-closed-copy.png

@Wave Runner the legend is exactly what there are lots of for sale. And what this whole convo has been started about. I was wondering if steeping down that foot will be a big deal. I like that width and depth just the length is really the question. If i will notice the missing foot.

Thanks all up till now for the advice.

Also a side console is a must as the wife want to drive the boat as well.

A thread like this would have made my boat decision last year much easier.

I struggled deciding how big, how many $$$ until someone in my neighbourhood told me about a boat I needed to see.

Wasn't much of a decision after that.

This place (forum), a great resource.

Deep hull and wide, I had a 14ft. Deep V and I stayed out longer in rough water than my bother in law in a 16 ft shallow. You can feel the difference in the waves.

@Wave Runner the legend is exactly what there are lots of for sale. And what this whole convo has been started about. I was wondering if steeping down that foot will be a big deal. I like that width and depth just the length is really the question. If i will notice the missing foot.

It will depend on where you actually want the most room in your boat. If you want more cock pit room than you need a floor plan that gives less front deck space which allows more cockpit space and vice verses. West coast style boats such as Kingfisher and Hewescraft have "helm forward" design which allows far more cockpit space than conventional designed boats do. They literally have as much cockpit room as some other boats that are 2 ft. longer. I don't know if your familiar with helm forward but this video will show you far better than I can explain it how much fishable room this 16' 6" Kingfisher 1625 Falcon XL has.

Last edited:
I have a Lowe FM 1710 side console with 90hp e-tec and love it. It's a deep V with a 95" beam. It handles rough water like a champ. Personally I'd go a little longer then a 15'-16' boat. The extra length and wide beam will make you happier. You'll be able to use the boat in a lot situations. I use my boat mostly on the Bay but do haul it North and the odd lake trip. It towes and launches easily.

I have the Lund Rebel 1650 full windshield. It keeps the wife dry & out of the cold wind. Plus with the cover, it makes those cold rainy days bareable. I have had the unfortunate experience of heading back to port in +6ft waves which it handled no problem.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks