Advice on fish finders

Time to replace my older fish finder. I want something easy to use, I am not a techy type individual. I would like good graphics, temp, speed, ability to set waypoints and find them again. GPS would also be an asset. Oh yeah, keep the price moderate, I don't need to be spending huge dollars for a lot of options I won't use.
Any comments would be appreciated.

Think before anyone can really comment on specific models etc. you should give a price range then we might be able to point you in the right direction. You might also wait until a used unit comes up for sale as well as someone might upgrade their own unit.

In my opinion, for ease of use, check out lowrance’s products. There will be something in you price range from low to crazy high and in between. Do your research on what you need so you don’t have to buy it “twice” and then go see Joslyn and his guys at angling outfitters. This is a very loaded question with limited details about what your specifically looking for so I’ll leave the short answer here. They will set you up proper! Cheers.

I'm more of a hummingbird guy but what he said about going to angling outfitters , that would be a great place to go and talk about them
In my opinion, for ease of use, check out lowrance’s products. There will be something in you price range from low to crazy high and in between. Do your research on what you need so you don’t have to buy it “twice” and then go see Joslyn and his guys at angling outfitters. This is a very loaded question with limited details about what your specifically looking for so I’ll leave the short answer here. They will set you up proper! Cheers.

Look at used / trade ins. I've had both Lowrance and Hummingbirds both were fine once you learned their menus. Changed boats last year and went from 1 year old Lowrance to a 10 year old Lowrance not really that much difference in the main features. the 10 year old was top of the line when new. Way better than the flasher I bought in 83. See Monty not Josc at anglers.

I have the Lowrance X4 chirp for the ice and it is very user friendly. It is also at a good price but a few years old now. As what @willisride and @bryonfromTilly said about Jozzy they aren't lying. He will set you up with what you need!

Have had alot of issues with the lowrance HD7. It needs to be reset every few weeks. Been unrealible and in my opinion more complex to use. My next unit will be a ray marine or garmin for sure. They guys are angler outfitter were sick of resetting it and tried to sell me on a newer lowrance unit ..not gonna happen. I have a more basic hd4 and it works OK, no better than any other unit.

Guys at angling outfitters just sold me on a lowrance hook2 5 split shot. I believe it was 429. Has gps sonar and down imaging. No side imaging. I read a lot of reviews and talked to a bunch of people and that was my choice.

These are 2 excellent units also worth condideration that have some of the high end features but more affordable. Both also have down scan and Navionics cards.

HUMMINBIRD HELIX 5 CHIRP DI GPS G2 With Navionics Card $550 (also $50 Visa Prepaid Card Bonus)
1093507_primary (640x558).jpg

Lowrance Elite-5 Ti with Navionics card+ TotalScan $650 (also $100 Visa Prepaid Card Bonus)
lowrance_elite_5_ti_chirp_total_scan_fish_finder_1427004_1 (544x478).jpg

Humminbird is the most user friendly IMO and Garmin has the best bang for your buck. I own a Lowrance and I think they've fallen behind in the last couple years. My next unit will likely be a helix....

Josh

It is like telling a Ford guy to buy a Dodge etc, all the major suppliers have great electronics priced to suit every budget. If you are big water trolling, wide or large screens enable you to use sonar and maps at the same time and its easy on the eyes. Most important to me is where or who is going to fix it (update), or answer my questions about certain features. I prefer taking my graph to the place I bought it and having them take care of my issue.

It is like telling a Ford guy to buy a Dodge etc, all the major suppliers have great electronics priced to suit every budget. If you are big water trolling, wide or large screens enable you to use sonar and maps at the same time and its easy on the eyes. Most important to me is where or who is going to fix it (update), or answer my questions about certain features. I prefer taking my graph to the place I bought it and having them take care of my issue.
I agree with this statement go as wide as you can. I have a humminbird that I only use for gps,because the split screen, with sonar and gps is to small. Then I also have garmin that I only use for sonar. I have them mounted on the dash, but I can see the sonar from the back of the boat.
When I do upgrade it will probably be a garmin or maybe a raymarine.

Last edited:
I have a Garmin Echo map 55ev... it's 5years old and I'm very happy with it...

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks