Additional deer tags

Derkd9

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
FYI

Additional deer tags on sale today

I never get an additional, we have 4 guys that hunt together and 3 deer is always more than we need. The odd time that we get 4 makes the neighbors happy. This year marks 30 years for us.

I never get an additional, we have 4 guys that hunt together and 3 deer is always more than we need. The odd time that we get 4 makes the neighbors happy. This year marks 30 years for us.
whatever works right.. I like to get an additional tag.. one for bow hunting and one for the controlled hunt (y)

just wanted to put a reminder out there to people.. as a couple of years ago someone posted a reminder the day late and by the time I checked my unit was sold out. I was so focused on fishing I forgot all about hunting

Reactions: GPS
Ya good plan, one for each. When buddy hunting we use the others tags first so I keep mine for Xbow.

Got mine yesterday. With my son as an apprentice hunter having a second tag sure helps. Also helps fill the freezer! Maybe we eat too much red meat but 2 deer doesn't last us the full year.

Got mine yesterday. With my son as an apprentice hunter having a second tag sure helps. Also helps fill the freezer! Maybe we eat too much red meat but 2 deer doesn't last us the full year.
Yah between slancy and I we usually get 4 deer worth
We split all our meat with everybody who hunts the property so we get a nice selection of meat different ages and sizes..
but we also load her family up with meat as well and I like to treat the neighbours.
My neighbours are lucky get fed walleye and venison on the regular

After last years dismal hunt (0 tags filled) I will be happy if we fill 2 out of 6 tags. I'm usually confident we will fill half our tags but lowered my expectations this year. Too many years of tagging out by Wednesday makes that Humble pie stick in your craw.

Maybe they should make extra tags available much like Turkey tags, that way large gangs don't buy them all up and those that tag out can buy an extra one ? So an Archery Season Tag is good for that only and if you are in a Controlled Hunt you buy a Tag for that hunt and if you fill it you have the option of buying an extra Tag to finish that hunt, if available ? LoL ! What am I thinking ? The MNR will gladly take your money upfront, what you do with the Tag later is your problem.

After last years dismal hunt (0 tags filled) I will be happy if we fill 2 out of 6 tags. I'm usually confident we will fill half our tags but lowered my expectations this year. Too many years of tagging out by Wednesday makes that Humble pie stick in your craw.

Maybe they should make extra tags available much like Turkey tags, that way large gangs don't buy them all up and those that tag out can buy an extra one ? So an Archery Season Tag is good for that only and if you are in a Controlled Hunt you buy a Tag for that hunt and if you fill it you have the option of buying an extra Tag to finish that hunt, if available ? LoL ! What am I thinking ? The MNR will gladly take your money upfront, what you do with the Tag later is your problem.
Not sure how that works
I bow hunt threw October so I require the additional tag to hunt unless I want to risk having to use my controlled hunt tag.

I take a week off of work to enjoy the party hunting with our black powder rifles.

Yep..one for bowhunting, one for controlled hunt...unless I loose control and fill both archery...then I go to the blackpowder hunt as the cook, deer retrieval guy as I have the only ATV anymore, run the generator, make coffee...and occassionally get to hunt anyways.

Yep..one for bowhunting, one for controlled hunt...unless I loose control and fill both archery...then I go to the blackpowder hunt as the cook, deer retrieval guy as I have the only ATV anymore, run the generator, make coffee...and occassionally get to hunt anyways.
I like your style

The additional tags in our Wmu are for archery only and the additional controlled hunt tags are sold separately

The point of my proposal was a more even/fair distribution of Additional Tags while ensuring all types of hunting (Archery/Controlled/Rifle) for deer are fulfilled. So, you buy an Archery permit it allows you to tag one buck for the whole Archery season plus of course your option for the Antlerless Draw. Then you can (must) buy another tag which is good for the Controlled Hunt (if you are drawn) and/or two week Rifle Hunt and if there are Additional Tags for your area and you have filled your Tag you have the option to buy another. That way people can't get greedy and buy up all the Tags and then not fill them which only happened to me once where I hunt but when we filled 8 Tags by 0900hrs on Tuesday morning and went to buy another Tag only to find out they were sold out, just didn't seem fair to me. No problem as we went duck hunting instead.

The point of my proposal was a more even/fair distribution of Additional Tags while ensuring all types of hunting (Archery/Controlled/Rifle) for deer are fulfilled. So, you buy an Archery permit it allows you to tag one buck for the whole Archery season plus of course your option for the Antlerless Draw. Then you can (must) buy another tag which is good for the Controlled Hunt (if you are drawn) and/or two week Rifle Hunt and if there are Additional Tags for your area and you have filled your Tag you have the option to buy another. That way people can't get greedy and buy up all the Tags and then not fill them which only happened to me once where I hunt but when we filled 8 Tags by 0900hrs on Tuesday morning and went to buy another Tag only to find out they were sold out, just didn't seem fair to me. No problem as we went duck hunting instead.
fair fair... currently I believe you are allowed to buy up to 6 tags.. but would have to be for other units.. so unless you have a spot to hunt it is pointless to purchase that many tags

We always know how many deer we aim for in the Dec black powder hunt as by then, those of us that bowhunt have usually filled a tag, if we were successful moose hunting the freezer has moose meat, etc. Last year we capped the hunt at 3 deer...I already had an archery deer and 100 lbs of moose meat...there was no reason to take more. Other years we've filled all 4 or 5 tags, or only take 2. I give some away but I dont hunt to fill other peoples freezers.

We always know how many deer we aim for in the Dec black powder hunt as by then, those of us that bowhunt have usually filled a tag, if we were successful moose hunting the freezer has moose meat, etc. Last year we capped the hunt at 3 deer...I already had an archery deer and 100 lbs of moose meat...there was no reason to take more. Other years we've filled all 4 or 5 tags, or only take 2. I give some away but I dont hunt to fill other peoples freezers.
Yah I hunt to fill my own freezer.
But with two hunters in the household and the in-laws loving venison it’s a pleasure to also add meat to their freezer..
they live in the same unit we hunt they just do not hunt themselves.

Yah I hunt to fill my own freezer.
But with two hunters in the household and the in-laws loving venison it’s a pleasure to also add meat to their freezer..
they live in the same unit we hunt they just do not hunt themselves.
Same. have family that loves venison so I like to get a bit to them. The landowners like a bit also. We usually get a bunch of pepperettes made which everyone loves!!

Same. have family that loves venison so I like to get a bit to them. The landowners like a bit also. We usually get a bunch of pepperettes made which everyone loves!!
Hahaha they love them too much hard to keep enough for myself..
got enough ground to feed an army
Everyone wants the steaks roasts and pepperettes hahahaha

Share the wealth ? I have two seniors and a property owner whose land I shoot on but he doesn't hunt, to gift some venison too. Always good karma to be able to do that.

The window opened today to buy your second additional tags

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks