A quick line strength question.

Off Duty

14 lb mono will be sufficient on Lake Erie, but if I wanted to hit Huron on occasion or say even Ontario, how heavy a line? Would the 14 do for most occasions?

Thanks experts and seasoned fisher people!

Peter

Hey peter, im not an expert by any means but i do fish Lake O quite a bit. What i find is most guys are running 20-30lb braid and the same for leader lines in floro for leaders off the dipseys with sd's but in the spring like now when im fishing in tight flatlining i run 6-8lb I keep it light in tight only because most of the fish caught are smaller.
Hope this helps a bit.
Adam

Your 14 lb. mono is only sufficient for most smaller bows and salmon but on Lake Ontario the problem is you don't have a any idea what's going to hit it. If you tie into a big King it's like having thread on when they make the big run so your just needlessly setting yourself up for disappointment. If your experienced then I would call 20 lb. minimal off riggers or planers but if a novice then I would go higher for sure. Using divers like Dipsys 30 lb. braid or if using lead core 36 lb. but even then your hardly guaranteed of putting "screamers" in the boat but that's why they're so much fun. :LOL:

Thanks gents, appreciate the input. I know getting down with snap weights and some deep diving body weights with the assistance of inline boards is my goal this year, so I think I will go with the 30lb braid, should give me the diamater and strength to get the depth and not lose too many fish.

Last edited:
Back