444 Walleye Tourny

frenchy

Well just signed up for my second go at the 444 Walleye tourny in Port Colborne.
Learned a few lessons last time so I hope to put them to the test.
First lesson was speed. 2.5-2.75 in Burwell is common but too fast in the tourny. Was told 1.5 -2.0 max.
Second lesson was no spoons. Again Burwell is mostly spoons but worm harnesses are the way to go.

Still came out with $1000 with big fish for Sat. at 10.59lbs. Hope to catch 8 of those.

Anyone entering? Any suggestions, tips?

Good luck to all who is going

Last edited:
We will be there to in the Triple J, also fish out of bur well and also showed up with a box of spoons two years ago. We actually caught a couple before buying a bunch of harnesses. We found it very difficult to troll on a 150 optimax so we have to throw out a 5 gal bucket. No tips to share, it sounds like you learned the same stuff as us but what a great tournament i defiantly recommend it to anyone who can make it.

I enjoyed it also. Well run. Volunteers were helpful.
I tried to troll with my 3.0 merc.
We had to cut day two short because of some members a little under the weather (self inflicted lol).
Hope to do better this year.

They cancelled it last year but its back on this year. June 21,22 is 444. Deadline is this Friday to register

@HTHM are you going to enter this with that new boat.

If someone catches a Walleye I predict they will win. Far too early for them this year, no reports of anyone even looking for them around here. Amongst 40 some odd boats out of Nanticoke last weekend 1 fish was reported caught.

Funny how these fish act, the same migratory fish that will only touch harnesses and plugs in the east end of the lake won't even sniff a worm west of here. Maybe they are local fish, but they are after all the same species in the same lake. Years ago I put a worm harness on fishing out of Dunkirk NY, my cousin looked at me like I was, well, a Canadian. With his Buffalo Bills hat on, his Buffalo Bills shirt, shorts, socks and probably underwear, he yelled, LOOK WHAT THIS CONTRAPTION THIS CRAZY CANUCK HAS!!!!!!!Never caught a fish on it.........

Well I might add that nanticke is still a little too far West for Walleye yet. However having a late spring and colder water temps could make the season later. I believe they will be out there near Port Colborne but may have to travel east from the marina to get em.

Tried Niagara Fishing Forum to get more info but can't even read any comments. Some kind of security.

i also fished 2 years ago . Did well .Im from quint but gained most of my lake erie experience from Burwell . Im also thinking of fishing this year but am concerned with late spring . I might even have a seat if anyone is interested .
.....anyway Im thinking of pre fishing this sunday is anyone else going with radio ? Maybe we could collaborate .

Myself and @Buckster will be fishing the 444, if the weather cooperates we will be trying that area this weekend and hopefully get on some good fish!

I just signed my team up, 1st timers for the 444. Team #60 Hawg Haulers, Lund 1900 Tyee black stop by and say hi. We are experienced Burwell guys but have never fished that end of the lake for eyes. Yes i've heard slow and harnesses, jet divers and dipsies are the way to go. We'll be pre fishing the fri a bit but did not enter the big fish tourny. Looking forward to it, should be a great time

Will be there with a team of four. Fishing big fish Friday as well. Out of burwell normally thought this would be fun. Look us up boat name is 'Nother 1

Looking forward to seeing you guys. Team 59, Size Does Matter, in 18'6 Princecraft.
Is anybody doing some pre fishing? May go for a run Friday afternoon before the Tourny. May drop a line just to try but want to mark them if anything.

I to will be fishing the 444 team swamp donkey. This will be my first time in the 444 we will be pre fising thurs. And testing our luck with the big fish friday.
Good luck and see you their everyone.

I to will be fishing the 444 team swamp donkey. This will be my first time in the 444 we will be pre fising thurs. And testing our luck with the big fish friday.
Good luck and see you their everyone.

Good luck on Friday. Its a good time. I know I enjoyed my first time out.

i also fished 2 years ago . Did well .Im from quint but gained most of my lake erie experience from Burwell . Im also thinking of fishing this year but am concerned with late spring . I might even have a seat if anyone is interested .
.....anyway Im thinking of pre fishing this sunday is anyone else going with radio ? Maybe we could collaborate .

Might be heading that way to try out the new downriggers and perch. If I'm out there I'll try you on the VHF. What is your VHF handle on 6-8? I'm Old Ironmaker.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks