30-06 vs .270

FrankTheTank

Not looking to buy anything right now but i was watching Canada in the rough and it made me look at Lanz shooting supplys and i see they have 2 30-06. I dont own a hunting riffle but am looking to get one near the fall so i was wonderi g what you guys think is a better all round hunting riffle deer for now possably bear and moose later. Would you go with a .270 or the 30-06?
Thanks

I have both and reload for both. The 3006 is a more versatile rifle...you can shoot anything in Canada including moose and big bears where the .270 in the right hands will do the job but dosnt have the range of bullets..esp in the heavier weights that the 3006 has. 3006 ammo can be bought at just about any store anywhere--good if youre up north and run out or loose your ammo. 270 not quite as common.

This is a topic that takes a lot of research what you want and if down the road you want 2 rifles, If I was buying a gun to take moose hunting I would be buying a .300 caliber like a .300mag or .300wsm or a 7mm but that is just me. Big animal I like a little bigger bullet or speed out of my bullet.
.270 and 30-06 are so close it dont matter in my opnion. If you have friends that reload you can reload 160 grain nosler partition in a .270 and those are straight up moose killers. Easier to find factory 30-06 moose loads.
I've seen a lot bears, moose and deer shot with both calibers and they all died, never had one go more then 100 yards I re call, end of the day its all about your bullet and where you put it. Buy good bullets and your good to go

This is a topic that takes a lot of research what you want and if down the road you want 2 rifles, If I was buying a gun to take moose hunting I would be buying a .300 caliber like a .300mag or .300wsm or a 7mm but that is just me. Big animal I like a little bigger bullet or speed out of my bullet.
.270 and 30-06 are so close it dont matter in my opnion. If you have friends that reload you can reload 160 grain nosler partition in a .270 and those are straight up moose killers. Easier to find factory 30-06 moose loads.
I've seen a lot bears, moose and deer shot with both calibers and they all died, never had one go more then 100 yards I re call, end of the day its all about your bullet and where you put it. Buy good bullets and your good to go
Wirh the .300 od the 7mm are those bigger than the 30-06 and .270 because i know when we got our lisence the silverdale gun club told us the highest caliber we can shoot in our area is .270? And i dont get out hunting much or have a range pass (im in the country with a nice berm in the back) i shoot on my property so i wouldnt be able to shoot or scope in anything bigger then the .270 i mean its not like you sit down and go thru a case of bullets shooting them big guns anyway but being able to discharge in my back yard is a bonus.

I have been doing a bit of reserach and i am finding the 30-06 may be a better choice for an all round big game gun.

I found that canada in the rough has their episodes in the youtube free so watching that them beasly boys shoot pert near everything with a 30-06 so stupid question i keep seeing 150g but everytime they shoot on the show they are saying 180g is there a diffrence in the riffle to go up 30gs or they both fit the same gun? Lime my 357 shoot 38special aswell as the 357mag?

Thanks

I reload for all my centerfires, so bullet selection i agree is the top consideration. I love the .270, and if all I was hunting was deer sized animals it would likely be my go to. The slightly smaller diameter gives it a marked advantage ballistically at longer ranges with the right loads. Very accurate round.
The '06 is great because of the wide range of bullets available and the size range...everything from 110gr to 250gr. I loaded some 200gr Nosler Partitions for a friend for moose..absolutely killer!! The '06 isnt real fussy about powders either, so a reloaders dream.

I personally load and shoot a .300 Win Mag 95% of the time, again because of the choice of 30 cal bullets, and the extra case capacity.

I reload for all my centerfires, so bullet selection i agree is the top consideration. I love the .270, and if all I was hunting was deer sized animals it would likely be my go to. The slightly smaller diameter gives it a marked advantage ballistically at longer ranges with the right loads. Very accurate round.
The '06 is great because of the wide range of bullets available and the size range...everything from 110gr to 250gr. I loaded some 200gr Nosler Partitions for a friend for moose..absolutely killer!! The '06 isnt real fussy about powders either, so a reloaders dream.

I personally load and shoot a .300 Win Mag 95% of the time, again because of the choice of 30 cal bullets, and the extra case capacity.
So for the 06 you would shoot a 150ish grain for deer around the 100 200 yard range then and use a bigger 180 200 for larger game? I like the veristily of the 06 to go from deer to moose with one gun. Are the .300 or the 7mm larger then the .270 because .270 is the largest caliber allowed to be dishcharged in my area so i would have to go to a range to beable to shoot or scope it

Yes the .300 mag and short mag and the 7mm rem are bigger then a .270.
Is the law just no hunting with those calibers bigger then .270?
where I live you cant hunt with anything bigger then a .270 but can shoot them for target practice or sighting in.
My go to rifle for hunting deer is a 7mm rem mag, I've shot deer, bear, moose and antelope all with a 160 grain accubonds, worked flaw less on all, Still use it for everything but moose.
I would have to look at the specs but 160 grain out of a 30-06 maybe a tad slower but would get the job done for all critters you wanna shoot, and I wouldnt be scared to shoot a deer with 180 grains, maybe not a fawn but that's me, stick with good bullets, I'm bias to nosler cause had some Hornady's not do what I thought they should, nosler partitions and accubonds and watch the freezer get full
But you could by a .300 mag or short mag and have the same range off bullets as the 30-06, the short mag has less recoil from my experience and that is the reason I bought one over the .300 mag.

Yes the .300 mag and short mag and the 7mm rem are bigger then a .270.
Is the law just no hunting with those calibers bigger then .270?
where I live you cant hunt with anything bigger then a .270 but can shoot them for target practice or sighting in.
My go to rifle for hunting deer is a 7mm rem mag, I've shot deer, bear, moose and antelope all with a 160 grain accubonds, worked flaw less on all, Still use it for everything but moose.
I would have to look at the specs but 160 grain out of a 30-06 maybe a tad slower but would get the job done for all critters you wanna shoot, and I wouldnt be scared to shoot a deer with 180 grains, maybe not a fawn but that's me, stick with good bullets, I'm bias to nosler cause had some Hornady's not do what I thought they should, nosler partitions and accubonds and watch the freezer get full
But you could by a .300 mag or short mag and have the same range off bullets as the 30-06, the short mag has less recoil from my experience and that is the reason I bought one over the .300 mag.
Shoot ing and sighting in my area you go as big as a .270 only. can only use a shotgun or bow for deer but i will hopefully be working up north almost all summer 3 diffret builds one by suburry one in peterbrough and one in haliberton so hopefully i can make some friends up there to use a riffle

Wirh the .300 od the 7mm are those bigger than the 30-06 and .270 because i know when we got our lisence the silverdale gun club told us the highest caliber we can shoot in our area is .270? And i dont get out hunting much or have a range pass (im in the country with a nice berm in the back) i shoot on my property so i wouldnt be able to shoot or scope in anything bigger then the .270 i mean its not like you sit down and go thru a case of bullets shooting them big guns anyway but being able to discharge in my back yard is a bonus.

I have been doing a bit of reserach and i am finding the 30-06 may be a better choice for an all round big game gun.

I found that canada in the rough has their episodes in the youtube free so watching that them beasly boys shoot pert near everything with a 30-06 so stupid question i keep seeing 150g but everytime they shoot on the show they are saying 180g is there a diffrence in the riffle to go up 30gs or they both fit the same gun? Lime my 357 shoot 38special aswell as the 357mag?

Thanks
In regards to "Wirh the .300 od the 7mm are those bigger than the 30-06 and .270 because i know when we got our lisence the silverdale gun club told us the highest caliber we can shoot in our area is .270? And i dont get out hunting much or have a range pass (im in the country with a nice berm in the back) i shoot on my property so i wouldnt be able to shoot or scope in anything bigger then the .270 i mean its not like you sit down and go thru a case of bullets shooting them big guns anyway but being able to discharge in my back yard is a bonus."

The restriction on .270 is for hunting only. You can shoot any calibre at a range, unless Silverdale has a restriction for their range.

So for the 06 you would shoot a 150ish grain for deer around the 100 200 yard range then and use a bigger 180 200 for larger game? I like the veristily of the 06 to go from deer to moose with one gun. Are the .300 or the 7mm larger then the .270 because .270 is the largest caliber allowed to be dishcharged in my area so i would have to go to a range to beable to shoot or scope it
Yep..I load 150 or 165gr Nosler Ballistic tips for deer hunting, and 200gr Partitions for moose. With a 300 WM, you get basically 100 yards energy/velocity on a 3006..what an '06 has at 100 yards you get at 200 yards. You really get the benefit from a 300WM by reloading as the case is a bit more efficient than the '06 case. Drawback if you dont reload..300WM ammo has gotten EXPENSIVE....and if recoil bothers you, they do kick a bit!

Guns and gun calibers are like tools... you should use the right tool for a right job. I purchased a used 30.06 Remington 760 many years ago because I too wanted a "do it all" caliber for my trips North to Burks Falls but sold it due to lack of use as I'm retired on a farm where my .22/.250 gets to see more sunshine !

Reactions: GPS
If you read closely, you will likely find the .270 restriction is strictly a limit for hunting purposes in southern Ontario. My range is in a .270 restricted zone. We shoot all calibers lawfully when at the range as the restriction is for hunting only, not target shooting. Unless your municipality has passed a local bylaw that restricts discharge to .270 as well. If I had to pick, I’d go with the 30-06. I’ve hunted and reloaded for everything from .338 on down. The 30-06 is a do all. That said, the .270 is no slouch, and other than more bullet variety in 30-06, they are the same case. I could never be a one gun shooter for game. I’d always have a .223, .222 or .243 for coyotes and general plinking, and big game rifles are for big game. I never try to cross purpose the two, so the .270 has had little appeal to me. Attached is the small game hunting limitation from the the regs. FYI this .270 restriction does not apply to big game. If there is a bear or deer season in a unit for example 82a, you can use a 30-06z

Attachments

• 402E3EDA-5F0D-4344-A2E4-6555B35C75EE.png
    402E3EDA-5F0D-4344-A2E4-6555B35C75EE.png
    550.2 KB · Views: 6
Both
I have a .270 bolt action
But I’d like to get a semi auto 30-06 to add to the vault

In regards to "Wirh the .300 od the 7mm are those bigger than the 30-06 and .270 because i know when we got our lisence the silverdale gun club told us the highest caliber we can shoot in our area is .270? And i dont get out hunting much or have a range pass (im in the country with a nice berm in the back) i shoot on my property so i wouldnt be able to shoot or scope in anything bigger then the .270 i mean its not like you sit down and go thru a case of bullets shooting them big guns anyway but being able to discharge in my back yard is a bonus."

The restriction on .270 is for hunting only. You can shoot any calibre at a range, unless Silverdale has a restriction for their range.

If you read closely, you will likely find the .270 restriction is strictly a limit for hunting purposes in southern Ontario. My range is in a .270 restricted zone. We shoot all calibers lawfully when at the range as the restriction is for hunting only, not target shooting. Unless your municipality has passed a local bylaw that restricts discharge to .270 as well. If I had to pick, I’d go with the 30-06. I’ve hunted and reloaded for everything from .338 on down. The 30-06 is a do all. That said, the .270 is no slouch, and other than more bullet variety in 30-06, they are the same case. I could never be a one gun shooter for game. I’d always have a .223, .222 or .243 for coyotes and general plinking, and big game rifles are for big game. I never try to cross purpose the two, so the .270 has had little appeal to me. Attached is the small game hunting limitation from the the regs. FYI this .270 restriction does not apply to big game. If there is a bear or deer season in a unit for example 82a, you can use a 30-06z
Yes we can shoot the .270 at silverdale or other ranges around me but i dont pay for a membership i just shoot in the back yard 22s 9mm shotgun
In my area i am not alowed to shoot anything bigger then the .270 on my property has to be done at a range thats why i was asking about the 300 and the 7mm. I do not want to have to go to range to shoot once or twice a year to scope in or just to shoot them. If i stay with the 30-06 i will be ok shooting in my yard or my biddys farm property. Also i belive in my area we are restricted to bows and shotguns only for deer (shotgun if you get the controlled permit) and even then they talk about ammo for the shot gun and talk about the bb size witch leads me to belive i am not allowed to use a slug? As there is no mention on "slugs" in the regs i belive its due to how populated our area is.

I mean i shoot in my back yard but after the house burnt down they re graded the land and we ended up with a huge dirt pile in the back 20'wide and 10' high so thats our backing for everything but skeets.

Thanks guys i think when the fall wi tef comes afound and i look at buying a new gun i will stick with the 30-06

Both 3006 amd 300 win mag shoot the same diameter bullet. .308 so if you can’t legally target shoot with anything bigger than a 270 you couldn’t use a 3006… if I were thou I’d double check this, because I’m 99% sure it’s hunting only restriction.
7mm is a .284 bullet
And if your shooting 9mm I hope that isn’t a handgun,, because that will get you into serious teouble if not on a range. And with what you say nothing bigger than .270,, if it’s a rifle shooting 9mm that isn’t legal either.

I reload 165grain bullets for my 3006 and use it for deer moose and bear and have never had an issue with it. Never Ever,, it puts bullets where they need to go, and things die.
I just recently purchased a 7mm that I’m currently looking for a piece of glass for It, then i will be deceloping a load to make it my long range moose rifle,, and more than likely that will have between a 139gr to 160 max grain bullet monumetal coming out of it.

Last edited:
Lots of good info here. I have been part of this same conversation a bunch of times and it comes down to 3 main considerations.
Largest animal you plan on hunting.
Shooting it around home
Bullet availability.
If you are going to use it for an all-around rifle, the .270 is an awesome caliber. you can use it in southern Ontario for anything from groundhogs, jack rabbits, coyote, deer and bear. In my personal opinion it is a bit light for moose but that being said have been in hunt camps with them and I can recall one bull moose in particular that never questioned it. (70 yard shot broadside).
If you use a .30-06 and are in ANY hunt camp, someone will have spare ammo for it. You walk into Dave's gas, live bait and used tire store an hour north of Geraldton. Chances are good he will have a box of .30-06 ammo.
Pretty much said what everyone else has been saying but, hope this helps.

@FrankTheTank ; Yes you can use slugs or sabots in a shotgun for deer hunting during a Controlled Deer Hunt or at least you can in WMU 90B.
I gave up on using buckshot early in my deer hunting ventures as it produced too many wounded animals that we wasted too much time trying to find but to no avail. I think it made better hunters out of us as it is a "one shot, one kill" or "one shot, one miss" scenario and when you hit them ... they know it ! They usually drop on the spot or don't go very far before keeling over as opposed to skinning one out to find last years buckshot embedded just under the skin or in the muscle. Also there is no rule saying you can't use a shotgun ( must be 20 gauge or larger) with slugs/sabots (or SG or #1 buck or larger ) to hunt deer/bear/moose up North during the regular Season (page 31 Hunting Reg's 2024) but lets face it the plan is to kill it not piss it off so having the right tool will get the job done and the 30.06 is a great choice of caliber for a "do it all" size gun but I have a biased opinion because that's what I had. LoL !

Disclaimer; I am not a Conservation Officer. If you can't verify any of my opinions using the up to date Hunting Regulation Summary please call a local OMNR office and get clarification.

Both 3006 amd 300 win mag shoot the same diameter bullet. .308 so if you can’t legally target shoot with anything bigger than a 270 you couldn’t use a 3006… if I were thou I’d double check this, because I’m 99% sure it’s hunting only restriction.
7mm is a .284 bullet
And if your shooting 9mm I hope that isn’t a handgun,, because that will get you into serious teouble if not on a range. And with what you say nothing bigger than .270,, if it’s a rifle shooting 9mm that isn’t legal either.

I reload 165grain bullets for my 3006 and use it for deer moose and bear and have never had an issue with it. Never Ever,, it puts bullets where they need to go, and things die.
I just recently purchased a 7mm that I’m currently looking for a piece of glass for It, then i will be deceloping a load to make it my long range moose rifle,, and more than likely that will have between a 139gr to 160 max grain bullet monumetal coming out of it.
No its a 9mm carbine riffle and i havent even shot it in over 7 years but my buddy just gifted it to me last chrismass for doing his chainlink fence and lifting his floor.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks