2 Stroke Engine Oil recommendation

Shank

Hoping for some advice on 2 stroke outboard oil please.

I am running a 2007 200 Mercury Optimax with 200 hrs on it. Few years back I got talked into switching over to Mystik JT4 2 cycle engine oil as the price was great and quite a few others had switched over with success. Have used approx 12 gallons with no issues however Canadian supply has dried up as of late. Before I look to return to Mercury oil (which I assume is the most expensive), wondering if there are any solid alternatives that some members here are happy with.

Thanks in advance.

Don’t the direct injection motors require a particular oil? Forgive my ignorance, never owned one. Went from 2 stroke carb to 4 stroke.

i was told to run nothing but the merc opti max oil. I just baught a 10 liter jug for 215 Plus tax. it has gon way up in price.

Yes they do. I believe they all need to be TC-W3 certified but that definitely doesn't mean they are all created equal. Some will lubricate better than others, some will smoke and stink more than others.

So I just did a little reading on the topic and it seems that DFI engines need a clean oil otherwise they foul the oil injector, and good lubricity to lubricate the injection pump. The TCW3 spec is lacking on both of those requirements since it’s meant to be blended with gas neither of those issues apply. Lots of people seem to use a high quality TCW3 oil without issue but a cheap TCW3 oil can cause issues. The Optimax oil spec just ensures clean and slippery 2 stroke oil.

The choice is yours I guess. How much do you like your Opti?

So I just did a little reading on the topic and it seems that DFI engines need a clean oil otherwise they foul the oil injector, and good lubricity to lubricate the injection pump. The TCW3 spec is lacking on both of those requirements since it’s meant to be blended with gas neither of those issues apply. Lots of people seem to use a high quality TCW3 oil without issue but a cheap TCW3 oil can cause issues. The Optimax oil spec just ensures clean and slippery 2 stroke oil.

The choice is yours I guess. How much do you like your Opti?
Thanks for this detailed response. I like my Opti very much, hence me asking for recommendations on a good oil that is made by someone other than Mercury.

i was told to run nothing but the merc opti max oil. I just baught a 10 liter jug for 215 Plus tax. it has gon way up in price.
I've heard this too however I wonder if that's simply the Merc dealer being told he needs to say this to customers.

Sierra seems to market a DFI oil. I’d prefer that to any nondescript TCW3 oil.

Sierra International 18-9530-3 Synthetic Blend Direct Injection 2-Stroke Engine Oil​

Sierra seems to market a DFI oil. I’d prefer that to any nondescript TCW3 oil.

Sierra International 18-9530-3 Synthetic Blend Direct Injection 2-Stroke Engine Oil​

Thanks Wildfire. Appreciate your input on this.

Star Brite says their semi-synthetic is fine for Opti too.

I have a Merc 115 Optimax 2 stroke that takes DFI oil. My cousin is my marine mechanic. He says Optimax’ are great, but need to be cared for with regular maintenance and the best oil (Quicksilver/Mercury) has to be used. I only use this oil and do regular maintenance. I ve had zero issues.

Remember that every outboard brand recommends their own oil with their name on it but that doesn't mean it's the best oil. Amsoil HP Marine 100% full synthetic oil is formulated specially for DFI 2-stroke engines. It is considered by many to be superior to the Mercury's Optimax/DFI which is a synthetic blend (a mix of synthetic and conventional oils). It's been well proven that synthetic oil is far superior in almost any application over conventional oil. Amsoil has long been a leader in synthetic oil and amazingly far cheaper than Mercury which is grossly overpriced as they are with everything they sell. Just my 2 cents but I use full synthetic in every engine and Amsoil Synthetic Marine Gear Lube in my lower unit as well. Good link on comparison of the 2 DFI oils. 🙂

Liquid moly 2 stoke is my take. Not cheaper than Oem your call
The Liquid Moly Marine 2T DFI Motor Oil is also a semi synthetic blend like Mercury, not full synthetic. Semi should cost less, not more. I'm not saying they are not good oils but for myself I would opt for the full synthetic over either of them especially when it's less money for higher quality.

Remember that every outboard brand recommends their own oil with their name on it but that doesn't mean it's the best oil. Amsoil HP Marine 100% full synthetic oil is formulated specially for DFI 2-stroke engines. It is considered by many to be superior to the Mercury's Optimax/DFI which is a synthetic blend (a mix of synthetic and conventional oils). It's been well proven that synthetic oil is far superior in almost any application over conventional oil. Amsoil has long been a leader in synthetic oil and amazingly far cheaper than Mercury which is grossly overpriced as they are with everything they sell. Just my 2 cents but I use full synthetic in every engine and Amsoil Synthetic Marine Gear Lube in my lower unit as well. Good link on comparison of the 2 DFI oils. 🙂

Hey Waverunner. DM sent. Thanks for this article.

The Liquid Moly Marine 2T DFI Motor Oil is also a semi synthetic blend like Mercury, not full synthetic. Semi should cost less, not more. I'm not saying they are not good oils but for myself I would opt for the full synthetic over either of them especially when it's less money for higher quality.
Had some pretty good luck in the automotive repair business with liquid moly products, all my German car customers get LM. To be fair I’ve only run the 2 stroke oil in a 15hp Johnson, I did notice less smoke than other brand. Amsoil is an excellent product as well.

Full synthetic.

Back