“Asking for a friend”…

FlyingViking

Let’s say your “pal” is chomping at the bit to go slay some walleye in his boat…and this friend lives around the Milton Ontario area. To sooth his sorry state of affairs and anxiety, when would you guys say is the earliest and best place to fish for eyes in the early spring? Erieo?? Detroit? When would be reasonable to make the drive??

“He’s new to the game” of eyes.. just asking for a friend

Last edited:
Definitely the Detroit River!! It's the earliest run although the best fishing always starts on the US side but if you're after records early is the time to go

What’s “early” if he can ask?
I usually start making my first trips out there as soon as the rivers clear of ice. March or shortly after is the earliest I've stated. Although the numbers aren't quite as high at that time of year the early season is usually when the bigger fish are caught and for myself released.

When detriot fires up so does local shallow waters on erie, years ago i would hit the D and catch a few, Kid bugged me to just wash jigs in erie from shore, and the fish were there,,,, when in doubt - check it out...

The D late March or anytime April and May. Early will have fewer fish but more chance for a trophy..females so if you want to fill the freezer later is better for the males.

Let’s say your “pal” is chomping at the bit to go slay some walleye in his boat…and this friend lives around the Milton Ontario area. To sooth his sorry state of affairs and anxiety, when would you guys say is the earliest and best place to fish for eyes in the early spring? Erieo?? Detroit? When would be reasonable to make the drive??

“He’s new to the game” of eyes.. just asking for a friend
Hi FlyingViking... are you familiar with the system on the Detroit River...

I wait till April 1
insurance reasons no coverage till then
check your policy
Easter to may 24 the river is on fire if conditions are favourable
mud and wind are the biggest enemy

My buddy lives on St Clair and he always talks about ‘hand lining’ for Pickerel in the Detroit in early spring. Not exactly sure what the technique involves but I mean to get down there to learn hopefully this year.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks