Scummy road hunter's, best think twice??

Try taking your kid sleding at Bacus this winter.

Straight from their site: Park is open May 1 – October 15

That's the standard operating season for campgrounds province wide. You're not allowed at other campgrounds while they're closed either...

The advertised mandate for NCC is to preserve forests and wetland. How is destroying good farm and tearing down historic building, to avoid paying the property tax, fulfill that mandate? I have no problem with preserving forests. I don't complain about St. Williams crown forest, or Bacus mill, or lprca. I have issue with destroying homes, barns and good farm land. There are people starving due to a global food crisis, and the ncc is planting weeds on thousands of acres of good farm land. Let westons plant golden rod on their millions of acres south of the border, first.
You said it yourself that their mandate is to preserve forests and wetlands. What do buildings or farmland have to do with either of those?

Like i said before, I can't believe someone on a hunting and fishing forum is against an organization whose goal is to preserve lands where we can enjoy these activities. Can't say I have ever heard of a single fisherman or hunter who is all for less habitat and more development.

Until it was purchased by ncc bacus mill was closed in the off season, but the gat was left open and people would hike and and take there kids sledding. Deer creek is closed but you can fash and hunt there in the off season. Why can't ncc leave gate open? Also why do they get to hollow out the tax base in norfolk? I can't buy a property and devalue it. Beside we have laws restricting clear cutting already. I can't buy a bush lot and clear it for corn, why can they buy a farm and plant weeds on it? I would have less of a problem if they didn't fence everything. Also they should allow quads on the locally established trails.

Until it was purchased by ncc bacus mill was closed in the off season, but the gat was left open and people would hike and and take there kids sledding. Deer creek is closed but you can fash and hunt there in the off season. Why can't ncc leave gate open? Also why do they get to hollow out the tax base in norfolk? I can't buy a property and devalue it. Beside we have laws restricting clear cutting already. I can't buy a bush lot and clear it for corn, why can they buy a farm and plant weeds on it? I would have less of a problem if they didn't fence everything. Also they should allow quads on the locally established trails.

You're missing the point. Their goal is to purchase land to keep it as natural as possible or return it to it's natural state and to avoid having it developed. This is nothing new, have you not heard of Ducks Unlimited?

ATV riders ripping through the bush is not natural. I likely ride my ATV more than anyone on this forum and agree with no motorized vehicles on such lands.
An area that has been cleared for farming is not natural nor does it provide suitable habitat for wildlife.
Dilapidated buildings are definitely not natural and are a liability for the landowner as they are not maintained and could injure the public.

As for accessing property during the off season, I would think that has to do with liability?

Fence everything? I have been to quite a few NCC properties and have yet to see a single fence, only gates at access points to keep motorized vehicles out.

It's absurd to be against a nation wide organization simply because they don't allow access to one lone property during the off season. Look at the big picture...

Reclaiming and gaining habitat for wildlife and giving hunters access = good
Losing habitat and area's to hunt forever = bad

From their site about Backus and Norfolk...

Backus Woods and the Weston Family Trail
backus-woods-ncc-thumb.jpg

Backus Woods, Ontario (Photo by NCC)

In 2010, the Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC), with the support of The W. Garfield Weston Foundation, successfully conserved Backus Woods, a spectacular older-growth Carolinian forest. Some of the oldest living trees in Ontario are found in Backus Woods. The Foundation has supported NCC in protecting more than 4,300 acres (1,740 hectares) in the Southern Norfolk Sand Plain Natural Area.

“Backus Woods is a haven for at-risk species that is treasured by the people of Norfolk County,” said John Lounds, President and CEO of NCC. “We are inspired by the commitment of The W. Garfield Weston Foundation. Their generosity ensures the long-term protection and care of this unique piece of Canada’s natural heritage.”

NCC has installed interpretive signs throughout Backus Woods and on 30 sign posts quick response tags link smart phone users to enhanced content. You can take a virtual tour of some of the features of Backus Woods by clicking here.

Southern Norfolk Sand Plain Natural Area
prothonotary-warbler-bill-hubick-thumb.jpg

Prothonotary warbler (Photo by Bill Hubick)

Norfolk County is a biodiversity hotspot and part of the Carolinlian Life Zone; a unique ecosystem that extends northward from the Carolinas to its northern most point in southwestern Ontario.

In Ontario, the Carolinian Life Zone occurs south of a line running from southern Lake Huron to Toronto and includes the entire north shore of Lake Erie.

Comprising less than one percent of the country’s land mass, Carolinian Canada is home to 25 percent of Canada’s population. It contains productive agricultural lands, forests and wetlands and provides habitat for nearly 25 percent of our country’s species at risk, including:

• acadian flycatcher
  • American badger
  • American chestnut
  • eastern flowering dogwood
  • eastern foxsnake
  • prothonotary warbler
  • spotted turtle
Habitat
Within this highly fragmented region, a large percentage of natural habitat has been converted for human use. But for generations, Norfolk County farmers and other rural landowners have been good stewards of the county’s lands and waters.

The natural habitat in Norfolk County features:

• the highest percentage of forest cover in southwestern Ontario
• long and connected ravines and floodplain systems
• globally rare coastal dunes and beaches
• internationally significant wetlands
• more than 45 provincially, nationally or globally rare plants and animals (one of the highest densities of rare and endangered wildlife in Canada)

For these reasons, the Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC) has invested considerable resources in Norfolk County. It is a critical area for conserving the species and habitats unique to Canada’s Carolinian Life Zone, and for achieving conservation at a landscape level by building on a network of existing conservation lands.

Impact
NCC’s work in Norfolk has been generously supported by The W. Garfield Weston Foundation and other supporters. NCC has enlarged and connected existing natural areas at Long Point and Turkey Point, along Big Creek and in areas around Backus Woods, the St. Williams Conservation Reserve and South Walsingham Sand Ridges.

NCC also owns a patch of older-growth forest near Simcoe, which is named in honour of Norfolk’s esteemed naturalist, Mr. Monroe Landon.

These natural building blocks provide a rare opportunity to conserve some amazing examples of Carolinian species and habitats. Connecting the blocks through the restoration of open agricultural land is creating larger and more resilient blocks of natural habitat, supporting the wealthy diversity of species unique to this area.

Stewardship
Restoration
NCC is restoring open agricultural fields by reintroducing native plants characteristic of the Carolinian Life Zone. To date, 576 acres (233 hectares) have been restored. Restoration has also included rebuilding sand dune and sand barren features, creating seasonal wetlands and swamp forest, and establishing early successionalmeadows and sand plain forest.

Biological inventories
NCC has conducted full biological inventories on 60 percent of the lands it owns in Norfolk County. By documenting the plants and animals found on our properties we can make informed land management decisions. This work is ongoing, ensuring all lands will be inventoried.

Invasive species management
NCC summer interns and stewardship staff continue to remove multiflora rose, autumn olive, garlic mustard and other non-native invasive species as part of ongoing efforts to protect native plant communities.

Hunting
NCC recognizes the important role hunters play in maintaining the healthy balance of wildlife populations in settled landscapes. In the fall of 2011, NCC opened several Norfolk County properties to hunting through an application and permission letter system. Public response has been very positive.

Try taking your kid sleding at Bacus this winter.

Speaking of "no access" at Backus during the off season, why does their website say access is open year round if you're not allowed in?

Backus Woods

Backus Woods in one of the highest quality old growth hardwood forests in all of Ontario and the best remaining example in the Carolinian Life Zone.

BW%20swamp%20south.jpg

The Carolinian Life Zone comprises less than a quarter of one per cent of the country's landmass, but is home to 25% of Canada's species at risk; several occur in Backus Woods. Prothonotary warblers nest in deep wooded swamps, Jefferson's Salamanders breed in vernal pools, and woodland voles forage in runways below the litter. In addition, some of the oldest living trees in Ontario are found here, including Black Gums that may have been seedlings when Jacques Cartier sailed into the Gulf of St. Lawrence in 1534. Tulip trees, the tallest growing trees east of the Rocky Mountains, shoot 35 metres straight up and through the canopy of maple, oak, pine and hickory.

Maintained walking trails guide you through numerous habitats such as dry forested ridge, wet slough, buttonbush swamp and floodplain.

Availability:

The trails are open year-round and are ideal for hiking in spring and fall and cross country skiing in winter. There is no hunting allowed in Backus Woods.

Organization:
Nature Conservancy of Canada

Address:

PO Box 520, Port Rowan, ON N0E 1M0

Contact Name:
Wendy Cridland

Email:
wendy.cridland@natureconservancy.ca

Additional information:

Backus Woods is owned and managed by the Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC). The NCC purchased the 875-acre property in 2011 from the Long Point Region Conservation Authority. This acquisition was made possible thanks to the W. Garfield Weston Foundation.

The advertised mandate for NCC is to preserve forests and wetland. How is destroying good farm and tearing down historic building, to avoid paying the property tax, fulfill that mandate?

Farmland and buildings are not a natural part of any forest or wetland. That's self explanatory, no?

They tear down structurally sound buildings, in order to avoid paying tax it's that simple, also Bacus carolinian forest existed before ncc purchased it. As did vast tracks of St. Williams crown forest. The ncc artificially inflated the price of farm land and then systematically devalued that same land for tax purposes. And for the record most animals are quite happy in corn fields.

576 acres that should be use for growing food for a starving world now has long grass for ticks to breed on yay.

576 acres that should be use for growing food for a starving world now has long grass for ticks to breed on yay.

This is so dumb, I'm not sure why I'm bothering except that I don't like to see ch312 trying to defend this lunacy all by himself.
If there was a food crisis that a few acres of sandy Norfolk County land could fix, we'd have everything we need cleared by spring - we cleared most of it pretty quick the first time without any fancy efficient machinery. There are certianly food isues in some parts of the world, but not here - the US throws a huge portion of the food they produce in the garbage - this year, there was a local Simcoe Reformer article about a farmer throwing out his berry crop because there wasn't a good enough market for it - if there was a real food crisis that local food could help, this wouldn't be happening.
I don't blame NCC for tearing down buildings on their lands that they don't need. You're right, they don't have to pay taxes on buildings that don't exist, but they aren't forced to be landlords to make use of them either - and as you know, most social conflicts arise when urban-type people move into old farm houses without a clear expectation of what rural life is like. It is very true that they can impact the tax base by reducing the number of structures they have or by taking advantage of existing tax incentive programs; but they aren't breaking the law, they didn't invent these programs and they aren't forcing landowners to sell to them.

Absolutely awesome post ch312 and big talk any land in southern Ontario like NCC is a great bonus to the hunting community.In the north there are millions of acres of crown land were people can carry out their hunting heritage but not in this area.In a recent US survey people were asked why they quit purchasing hunting licences and the answer was lack of places to hunt as the number one cause kudo's to NCC and their structured hunting by permit only.As for weeds tall grass is a great thing for habitat for most upland species including species at risk like bobwhite quail. Again kudo's NCC lets get someone to reintroduce them it's time.As for scummy road hunters there are plenty of those about but i will state that trespass is not a hunting issue it's a trespass issue and it's high time to change the law to make these jerks responsible for their action.As for atv's on my farm the only time i use mine is to recover game and as a workhorse for fencing to keep idiots out and my smart livestock in.

A wise man once said " Do not go into a battle if wits unarmed". You are a good guy Paddle we have met, but you have lost me on this one. There is nothing natural about an unused building and tearing around on a quad in a Carolinian forest, nothing. A few acres of farmable land in southern Ontario will not begin to solve any global food crisis. I grew up in east Hamilton across the street of a farm believe it or not, now it is an extension of Brock University, what better use of a bean field in an urban setting I couldn't say.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks