Ontario Raises required Ethanol Content in Gasoline

You are breathing in 78% nitrogen enriched oxygen with every breath. Shell advertises how their fuel cleans carbon deposits off intake valves. Doesn't work when all new internal combustion engines built are direct injection. That fancy gas can't wash what it doesn't touch.

A full tank of "old" gas with stabilizer is better than an empty tank with condensation in it from my experience. Older engines are more forgiving on stale untreated gas. Ethanol is mostly harmful on the petroleum based products of an engine (hoses, gaskets & seals) btw.

Shell claims its nitrogen-enriched gasoline “seeks and destroys” an engine's carbon deposits but others say it's just another marketing ploy.
Who knows @mick with all today's gimmicky advertising campaigns? LOL!
Nitrogen the gas that equates to approx 78% of the atomospere

I have the privilege of using an ethanol tester at my dealership. All the samples I have tested, came back 0% . The disclaimer on the pump says up to ten percent.

Unless you purchase from the green hose that actually states it's blended, I think you are safe from the "poison" corn fuel (y)

Personally, I think the majority of issues caused by "ethanol" can actually be traced back to poor maintenance of the machine. So many people will try to have you believe that ethanol destroys engines and internal parts and any ethanol gas that's more than a couple weeks old is garbage, which is nonsense.

As for storing equipment, an empty tank can and will form condensation inside the tank during relatively quick temperature changes as the moisture in the air that's trapped within the tank condenses on the inside of the tank. Filling your tank removes all of this air along with the moisture within that air and using stabilizer prevents the separation of fuel.

Here's what the EPA has to say and I have put in bold the important parts:

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2015-09/documents/waterphs.pdf

Conclusion Water phase separation in any gasoline is most likely to occur when liquid water comes in contact with the fuel.
(Water in the form of moisture in the air will generally not cause phase separation.) Water which is in solution with gasoline is not a problem in any engine, but as a separate phase it can prevent an engine from running or even cause damage. Since oxygenated gasolines, however, can hold more water than conventional gasoline, phase separation is less likely to occur with oxygenates present. For any gasoline, simple precautions to prevent phase separation from occuring should be taken. First of all, gasoline should not be stored for long periods of time, especially during seasonal changes which usually have large temperature changes associated with them. (For both oxygenated and conventional gasolines, gumming can also occur which is detrimental to any engine.) If it is unavoidable to store gasoline for a long period of time, one should be sure that the tank is full to prevent condensation of water from the air, and the addition of a fuel stabilizer should be considered. Lastly, care should be taken not to allow water into the fuel system while filling fuel tanks or operating the engine -- in the form of rain or a spash, for example.

yep and the same nitrogen story for tires yet people fall for it over and over again.What a crock of @#$%^&

I suppose the earth is flat and the moon landing was a hoax? C'mon man, NASCAR and other racing organizations have been using nitrogen since at least the early 90's because it's far superior to compressed air. s

Nitrogen molecules are larger than oxygen molecules which means nitrogen escapes through the rubber tire much slower than oxygen which means your tires will maintain proper PSI for longer periods. Also, pumping air into a tire introduces more moisture which increases the fluctuation in PSI between a cold and hot tire. Nitrogen filled tires require much less maintenance and maintain a constant pressure much, much better than air filled tires.

I have tested that nitrogen tire leakage theory as well. I filled two of my winter tires with shop air & two with nitrogen. Stored them for the summer season. They all seeped out exactly the same amount after 6 months of storage.

I've heard nanticoke is ethanol free so i buy my gas from stations that get there gas there

This is in fact true according to people in the business. All grades including 87 regular that are trucked out of Nanticoke are ethanol free. Gasoline with ethanol cannot be sent out by the pipelines from Nanticoke so all the fuel distributed directly from the refinery is conventional gas with 0% ethanol. It goes to lots of stations locally, not just Esso branded ones. If there is ethanol added it would be done at the distribution terminals downstream. I test the fuel regularly just to be sure but I also confirmed it again with a local fuel distributor last week. That said, with the new 10% average being mandated, this situation could change...

I suppose the earth is flat and the moon landing was a hoax? C'mon man, NASCAR and other racing organizations have been using nitrogen since at least the early 90's because it's far superior to compressed air. s

Nitrogen molecules are larger than oxygen molecules which means nitrogen escapes through the rubber tire much slower than oxygen which means your tires will maintain proper PSI for longer periods. Also, pumping air into a tire introduces more moisture which increases the fluctuation in PSI between a cold and hot tire. Nitrogen filled tires require much less maintenance and maintain a constant pressure much, much better than air filled tires.

Maybe as a racing application, however if you familiar with boyles law I'm sure you will change your tune. Love dman

My concern with any ethanol content in fuel is how it deteriorates fuel lines and carburetor seals in older boats. Especially mine.

Last edited:
You are breathing in 78% nitrogen enriched oxygen with every breath. Shell advertises how their fuel cleans carbon deposits off intake valves. Doesn't work when all new internal combustion engines built are direct injection. That fancy gas can't wash what it doesn't touch.

A full tank of "old" gas with stabilizer is better than an empty tank with condensation in it from my experience. Older engines are more forgiving on stale untreated gas. Ethanol is mostly harmful on the petroleum based products of an engine (hoses, gaskets & seals) btw.
@Extra Virgin,that’s the way I have been storing my boat and other boats that I have owned over the year’s,by leaving a full tank of fresh gas with fuel stabilizer in it.Usually my gasoline is not stored in the boat for a long period of time,such as up to 6 months,but around 4 months. All the Best,& Happy Boating,in 2018! (y)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks