YOU'RE GONNA NEED A BIGGER NET!

TonyMo

So, you remember that scene from Jaws....

Well, replace the word "boat" with the word "net" and that would be me. I bet the expression on my face was the same as Chief Body.

I was out fishing in my kayak on Eagle Lake, hoping for a few smallmouth bass, when I had a hit. The rod bent a little and I thought, oh thats a good smallie. Then the rod bent over double...o_O

The fish came to the surface and I had my net ready.....and I saw it...HOLY CRAP THAT'S A BIG PIKE!!!!!...Im gonna need a bigger net. Oh and I'm using 8lb mono, no wire leader. Luckily I had recently got a pair of those plastic lip grabber plier things and was able to land it. This is the biggest fish I have ever caught.

Anyway, I'm out by myself, no one around. I am trying to take a photo of it in my lap, while holding on to it with the lip grabber in my right hand, holding my phone above my head trying to take a photo with pike slime on my hands and not drop the phone overboard.:eek:
I snap a few shots...cant really see the quality on my screen because of the sun.
I get "son of jaws" back in the water and revive him enough for him to swim away.
Wow...how long was he??? Then I realize, in my excitement I forgot that there is a measuring scale on my paddle. :oops::poop:

So, here is the best photo I took. Anyone care to give me an estimate on the length of this pike? For reference, my kayak is 34inches wide. His tail is bending slightly down toward the water.

Attachments

• 20220704_134209.jpg
    20220704_134209.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 211
  • 20220704_134635.jpg
    20220704_134635.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 206
Those are the catches you always remember. Nice "log" there. To land it in a kayak and release it for some one else to enjoy.
A true sportsman. Well Done! @TonyMo

So, you remember that scene from Jaws....

Well, replace the word "boat" with the word "net" and that would be me. I bet the expression on my face was the same as Chief Body.

I was out fishing in my kayak on Eagle Lake, hoping for a few smallmouth bass, when I had a hit. The rod bent a little and I thought, oh thats a good smallie. Then the rod bent over double...o_O

The fish came to the surface and I had my net ready.....and I saw it...HOLY CRAP THAT'S A BIG PIKE!!!!!...Im gonna need a bigger net. Oh and I'm using 8lb mono, no wire leader. Luckily I had recently got a pair of those plastic lip grabber plier things and was able to land it. This is the biggest fish I have ever caught.

Anyway, I'm out by myself, no one around. I am trying to take a photo of it in my lap, while holding on to it with the lip grabber in my right hand, holding my phone above my head trying to take a photo with pike slime on my hands and not drop the phone overboard.:eek:
I snap a few shots...cant really see the quality on my screen because of the sun.
I get "son of jaws" back in the water and revive him enough for him to swim away.
Wow...how long was he??? Then I realize, in my excitement I forgot that there is a measuring scale on my paddle. :oops::poop:

So, here is the best photo I took. Anyone care to give me an estimate on the length of this pike? For reference, my kayak is 34inches wide. His tail is bending slightly down toward the water.
I would like a fish like that for the LPBAA pike derby!

Nice catch man! really like the picture of it in the water eye balling you,vary cool.
Tie into a pair of them baby's and you could have a team to pull you around all day.
Again nice catch.

If your kayak is 34", I would have to say high 40's? Sweet catch especially awesome from the yak! Gonna be hard to top that one.

Hey thanks for the comments guys!

Centerspin; Yes Eagle Lake near South River. I have a log cabin there. Also, Mikisew Prov Park is on the lake for anyone looking for a camping destination. The park is a real hidden gem. The lake is great for paddling. Its also great for the power boat but you gotta beware...lots of rocks!

I'm considering that maybe I should get a fiberglass mount made of this guy to display in my cabin.:unsure:
My personal biggest fish, on my "home" lake etc. It would make a great work of art with a story.

Last edited:

Centerspin; Yes Eagle Lake near South River. I have a log cabin there. Also, Mikisew Prov Park is on the lake for anyone looking for a camping destination. The park is a real hidden gem. The lake is great for paddling. Its also great for the power boat but you gotta beware...lots of rocks!

I'm considering that maybe I should get a fiberglass mount made of this guy to display in my cabin.:unsure:
My personal biggest fish, on my "home" lake etc. It would make a great work of art with a story.
My friend had a land with a trailer 1/2 mile from the Narrows. Great lake, great beach. Theres another small pike lake nearby, you probably know of it;)

You would have to guess the girth and length and that would always leave you wondering for sure the one comment 42-43 and 20lb + is a good guess I would have said 45 in nice fish don't get many over 40" anymore love them surprises on the end of the line

Love the picture in the water beside the kayak. 👍

Very nice catch on 8lb mono lol

I had a similar experience in my old 14 foot thornes on st Clair with a musky.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks