Yesterday on the Bay

how far off shore is 7ft? I have never fished in the bay and just have my 14ft tinny, the big boat is put away. I don't want to be to far out. If the wind drops down I would not mind heading out for some perch, it has been at least 20yrs.

Thanks, that is not to far out. I may give it a try next week between the wind, rain or snow events. How many scoops of minnows did you go through to get your 67 fish plus throwbacks?

Thanks, that is not to far out. I may give it a try next week between the wind, rain or snow events. How many scoops of minnows did you go through to get your 67 fish plus throwbacks?
When I came out of hibernation for a day a couple weeks ago, we picked up 2 scoops from Collins, cut them in half or thirds and had some left when we called it a day. As I said in my report that day, I don't know exactly how many we caught and kept in total, (I came home with 25 and it appeared we each had about the same) but we threw back almost, if not, as many as we kept.

Thanks guys. I will be solo so a single scoop should be good and I can switch to artificials or try pike if I run out. I have all kinds of small ice fishing baits that I could cycle through if need be.

Only fished the bay for perch a few times , but I find plastic do just as good as live bait , figured that out one day when we were going trough minnows very fast and got tired of keep re baiting,
Same on Simcoe, shallow water perch I can catch on various plastics , my favorite is Kietech goby color swimbait
Now on the other hand deep water perch 50 plus feet I can't get them to go on plastic only live bait
Usually 3 scoops per person needed

Done working:
As a fellow also frequently fish solo and keep a keen eye on Mother Erie's moods. Off Collins, I usually pick up 2 scoops, either right at the Marina or at Erie Bait and Tackle and I have yet to run out of minnows by day's end. Both those sources for minnows seem to be the most generous and most reliable. Good luck out there if you get out. This time of year, when north winds tend to dominate, you will be pretty safe in anything short of a full gale.

Back