Yak Attack, May 07; Lake O, Grimsby: the Long and Winding Road edition

King Joe

Hole shot in both work and weather. Headed to Grimsby to try take advantage one more time before water warms and fish move deep...that and, avoid the mayflies and fleas soon to come.

Based on reports from Grimsby Tackle (thanks for those), it was reported that fish are moving out but still in the 30-40 dpw and some chance of browns still close in the 10-15....but fishing has been slow. With that, planned to run the 30-40...and spoons and try different depths.

On water at 0730hrs. Headed straight to 25 and set lines turning to run south towards Jordan...slowly getting deeper to find the 30. Marked...NOTHING runing through 30 to 44 dpw. Kept running until I believe I saw/was relatively even to Jordan harbour...and in that time, maybe, marked the odd fish...but really silent. Decided to turn back, run the 30' contour heading back towards 50 point (now a long way away) and, well...kinda go back to my Grismby roots. Jet divers and spoons (originally it was jets and Apex hot shots).

Maybe 15 min into the run, wonderbread on the 30 jet goes off and a small (5ish #s), spunky lake comes to net. I trudge on. I am marking more fish....but still not a ton. In the distance to basically the Range just short of 50, I pick up 2 more lakers on the 30 jet...one pushing 10, the other, around 8. At the range, a tug is working and appears to be placing buoys? Regardless, thinking the tug working back and forth is disturbing the waters (and I need an excuse to be done...getting tired. Hey, I'm old)...here...I turn to run to shore...and decide to do the shallow run back south to port.

Maybe 10 min at 10dpw...blue RRF goes off...with a very vigorous 8ish # laker (I thought it was a trout or salmon) coming to net. Then....nothing for the rest of the run.

That, is a ton of miles put on today...Grimsby launch to nearly Jordan to the Range back to Grismby. Legs (peddle yak) and lower back were feeling it when I loaded back up at 1:30 pm. 4 lakers for the day. Always good to get out...and weather was great. Bugs are just starting. Surface water temp anywhere was between 53-55 degrees.

King Joe Outa Here!

Back