Yak Attack, Apr 16; Great day for me, not so great for lakers

King Joe

Hole shot in the weather pattern for Lake O. Off Grimsby launch, on water by 0730hrs. Plan: do the shallow run, flat lining RRFs looking for browns like last week.

Originally, had thought to run south towards Dalhousie...but minutes into the run, it didn't feel 'fishy'...hah...so turned to do the 50point run instead. Stayed tight fishing anything from 7.5-12.0' dpw but focusing on 10'. Running wonderbread/clown (my name for this) at 150' back and blue/silver 130' back. Water temps were 45-47 though end of day with the southwind....did get to 50.

Slow start...but maybe 1/2 hour into run...big hit on blue...and minutes later, a chunky laker (10-ish#s) is in the net. I circled out deep while setting lines....then redo the area with the last hit...and no sooner do the lines get tight at 10'....BLAM...blue goes off again and another chunky laker comes to net.

For the rest of the morning...pretty regular action and it got to be a competition between wonderbread/clown and blue/silver. REAL good action near the gun range along the stone walls....then again, at the point of rock right before 50point launch. A good handful of boats were also focused there.

Off water, loaded and on my way home by 2:00. Landed 11 lakers and while it was close, wonderbread/clown did 7, blue/silver did 4. Of special note. Wind had picked up from the south so I was working a bit harder coming back to port. Wasn't too focused on lure speed but was clocking at about 2.9mph. BLUE/SILVER goes off hard and something way back, I can hear splashes from jumps and fighting on the surface. Rod is bouncing like crazy with head shakes. I fight to get rod out of holder....and no sooner do and its gone. Crap. Would have loved to have fought whatever that was. I suspect coho...don't know.

Anyway, great day...tied my best day record of 11 fish. All lakers and were all carbon copies sized...around the 8-10#s range...all in great shape with no scarring or deformities or lamprey bites. 2 did come home for fish cakes.

King Joe Outa Here!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks