Walleye newbie

New_guy

Ok so new member here but been readinf posts on and off for some time. Went out and got myself some dipsy divers #1 and #0. I barrowed to rods from a buddy got line counters with 50 lbs braid that seemed a little high but went with it. I got 25 lbs fluorocarbon for my leaders back from the dipsy. Now iv read i should run a snubber and then i read im good with the fluorocarbon?

My boat is in long point bay so not in burwell. Im told my options are the elbow and around the light house. Not 100% where the elbow is but im not a stupid boater and can navigate lol. I have a fish finder i just figured out and gps. I do not have downriggers on my so im told getting speed will be tough. Iv done a bunch of trolling for bass and pike in the channel and around the inner bay but this is all new to me and i wanna do my homework as i have a week off comming up from 3rd to 13th of August and wanna get out as much as i can that week to put some fish in the boat.

I have some spoons and some worm harnesses as a start went with colors iv been reading on here and facebook. Plus iv also read i can use stick baits if nothin else workin as long as they dont dive to hard on dipsy? Any tips and tricks you guys can help me with be greatly appreciated.

Sounds good enough. I use 20lb fluoro for lead with no snub. Length any wheres from 3-6ft. Works for me never had any break offs just make sure you have the drag set in case big fish takes your offering with authority. id be ready to test the waters. I don't have downriggers either. ,6rods(30lb braid)for dipsy and inline planner boards and a couple few lead core rigs,gets fish in the boat for me on a regular.. Your GPS should give you a speed reading. good speed for me is Any whers from 2-3 even 3.5mph,fish will decide. Stick/minnow baits and slender spoons always 1st baits to go in on my vessel. Nothing wrong with wormharness either just they run nice at slower speed but iv ran them up to 3mph successfully along side my spoons and minnow baits. I just run strait out (east) from turkey hit 50ft and put the gear in. Head deeper and back,zig zag 1/4-1mile across depthes til I hit then just keep dancing around in that general depth. The sure thing is 1must play in order to win. Best of luck to you.

Welcome @New_guy.... I use 50 lb. braid, 7-8 ft. fluorocarbon 20 lb. leader and no snubber works for me. Everyone has their own preference of set-up, speeds etc. but the info @SIX-GRAND gave you will catch you fish for sure. Just experiment to find your own comfort zone what works for you and you will fill the box on a regular basis. We have a walleye bonanza in Erie that are eager to play so good luck and lots of info here to help you do just that. :) The map link below will show where the elbow is.

http://www.longpoint.on.ca/lake-erie-interactive-map/

Sounds good enough. I use 20lb fluoro for lead with no snub. Length any wheres from 3-6ft. Works for me never had any break offs just make sure you have the drag set in case big fish takes your offering with authority. id be ready to test the waters. I don't have downriggers either. ,6rods(30lb braid)for dipsy and inline planner boards and a couple few lead core rigs,gets fish in the boat for me on a regular.. Your GPS should give you a speed reading. good speed for me is Any whers from 2-3 even 3.5mph,fish will decide. Stick/minnow baits and slender spoons always 1st baits to go in on my vessel. Nothing wrong with wormharness either just they run nice at slower speed but iv ran them up to 3mph successfully along side my spoons and minnow baits. I just run strait out (east) from turkey hit 50ft and put the gear in. Head deeper and back,zig zag 1/4-1mile across depthes til I hit then just keep dancing around in that general depth. The sure thing is 1must play in order to win. Best of luck to you.

Awesome thanks for the tips. What should the release weight be on the dipsy? My #0 are roughly 3lbs and the #1s are 8 to 10 when i use my fish scale seems high.

Awesome thanks for the tips. What should the release weight be on the dipsy? My #0 are roughly 3lbs and the #1s are 8 to 10 when i use my fish scale seems high.
Can't really answer that accurately. I just go by feel these days. I back the screw out till there no tension on the ears that pinch the arm in place then see how it feels. If it's still firm/tight I'll take some 220grit sand paper to the inside of them ears till it starts to break smoothly then tighten the screw till it touches the plastic.that way the screw actually does adjust the tension. Been my experience that there is at times some over mold/casting left in the grove where the release arm sits and with screw turn out it don't get any lighter. I don't run the outer ring on my #1 dipsy. Just My preference is all. With boat in gear,2mph at least. I put the rig in the water with lure on just enough out so it's pulling/working and can see it. if it don't break free I'll pull it out and lighten the tension screw an 1/8 turn at a time till to does break(to light)then tighten the screw just a frogs hair at a time till it holds. Once you get one set and feel the tension on the release arm.Once you think you have it in good spot Scratch a mark on side of dipsy lining up with screw slot for a reference point. Should be give or take an 8th turn from your reference after that,not all lures have the same amount of Pull behind the dipsy. I like to be light as possible,hair trigger...fine As frogs hair! LOL.

Personally, that’s a trial and error on the day kinda set. Pop them by feel to set, then run them. If they aren’t triggering on strikes or your having issues breaking them yourself, loosen them off. If they break on their own and swing out of position tighten them up. Good luck!

Back