Tryin Again

TMAN

I own a 12' aluminum and 9.9hp merc. I normally store it in October after returning from my archery moose hunt. Anyway I would like to know if it is sufficient to use at the bay? waterfowling. I understanding wind strength and direction play a big role in this also, so what would be a recommended wind direction and max wind speed I should be aware of....?
Just may hold off storing it a couple extra months next year.

Endeavour to Persevere

TMAN, it is certainly better than no boat at all. There are realitvley few blinds you can walk to, roughly 10. They are under very high demand especially on Saturdays. It alawys amazes me that more of these people don't at least throw a canoe on their car as that would double their options. With a 12' boat you could access most of the blinds in the middle of the marsh and go up Big Creek. It would give you access to roughly 3/4 of the available shooting spots.

I would avoid the outside blinds on anything but very calm days, and on calm days you don't want them. The small boat would also limit the number of decoys but if you are content hunting the inside for puddle ducks it should serve you just fine.

Get some latex camo paint over the summer and Duck it Up.

If you are hunting in the marsh no worries.But if you are planning on hunting a shooting point and are going to travel outside the marsh be careful any wind direction and speed over 25 km could be dangerous .But if your cautious all is good.I do know if you get in trouble in the Bay ,all the people I have met at the unit would all be there to help you out in a second.I personally have rescued dozens of boats and people over the years and have been towed in a couple times my self.

While we're talking boats, I'm starting to save my pennies for one. Figure I'm going to take my time and buy a new one.

Anyhow, I've been looking at the modified V jon boats. Like a 16' with a 30hpor something. My buddy had that same config and hunts the lower and upper grand river. But I'm wondering how a boat like that would be for the outter blinds at the unit.

Hello TMAN,

I am heading out now but I can respond to your post in more detail at a later date.

Singlemalt has pretty well succinctly summed it up for you. However I have been to every blind/shooting point within the unit either by foot or by kayak. I can fit 12 decoys and all my other gear within the kayak and get to most blinds within 30 minutes ... 50 minutes maximum.

I think that you will be fine for most of the time but the weather will be the deciding factor.

Jerome

Singlemalt does a good job of summing things up.

I will add that you will want to be careful in a few spots that you don't suck mud into your motor's water intake. Take a little time to tour the unit in the off season and learn where you can motor and where you should not go or use a paddle/pushpole. Nothing worse than getting out there and finding your water pump is toast.

While the unit seems really big when you don't know it, you can easily get where you want to be in a short time if you know which ramp to use and how to get from A to B.

Paul

quote:
Originally posted by Jello

While we're talking boats, I'm starting to save my pennies for one. Figure I'm going to take my time and buy a new one.

Anyhow, I've been looking at the modified V jon boats. Like a 16' with a 30hpor something. My buddy had that same config and hunts the lower and upper grand river. But I'm wondering how a boat like that would be for the outter blinds at the unit.

Tman, if you launch your boat at Howey Ave you can access the inside blinds in the marsh in any wind. The same is true for Big Creek if you launch at the Creek.

Jello, I have a 16' mod V jon with a 23 HP mud motor. I hunted the unit for several years with it although these days I spend more time at Mitchell's Bay and Rondeau. I have hunted Big and Little Rice in this boat but I am picky about the wind when I hit the open water. With this blind and a little fast grass I hunt pretty much anywhere.

If I was doing it again I would buy a surface drive mud motor instead of the long tail. An outboard will get the job done as long as you stay out of the soup. The picture of the "soup" was taken a few years ago at blind #27. The grass picture below it is NW of #39. You can see the water tower in the distance.

Jonboat.jpg

IMG00200.jpg

IMG00202.jpg

LP055.jpg

LP034.jpg

20081013_181.jpg

Paul

fantastic info thanks guys and keep in coming..... confidence is building!!

Endeavour to Persevere

TMAN, if you are looking to paint your old 12 footer i would recommend going into Howey Hardware in Port Rowan and ask them to mix up a can of their special dead grass latex.

I did an old boat years ago and i was quite skeptical about it holding up. However, it was cheap,easy to apply, looked great and stood up to years of use.

You just need to be a bit ahead of the game. I remember they told me it takes a few weeks to really cure enough to be durable. So do it a nice weekend in August and leave it in the sun and by opening day you have a genuine duck boat.

People will look at it and figure you must be a member of the OBC! (sorry could not resist)

It looks like you have recieved alot of good advice about a boat . I run a 14' jon boat with a 15 on it and i can get to any blind in the marsh the only thing i would add is that once you become familier with the marsh you will know when and when not to try to go to certain blinds .Also as you learn the marsh you will learn all the short cuts threw the inner marsh that make it safer in a strong wind or a safe way to get back if the wind comes up . The best advice i can give for the bay is to have respect for it sometimes it is better to drive into the weeds and wait it out rather than try and make it in if it blows up and carry a cell . We very nearly had a double drowning this year with two guys comming back from Big rice in a 14 ' jon boat they very lucky to have been plucked from the water by another hunter. If you can take some trips in the summer and learn the marsh and the depths of water there are alot of areas were it is not deep and if you get into trouble at least you can stand up even running out to big rice or little rice if you stay in tight in most winds out of the south you will be ok . the worst wind for the point is a north west

" Thats 12 already ? count them again Larry "

Hello TMAN,

Okay I am back for round two!

First ... Keep your boat and do what Singlemalt has told you.

Second ... Remember what Kicks has told you ... "once you become familier with the marsh you will know when and when not to try to go to certain blinds" as this is "golden" advice that comes with years of experience that you received free of charge!

Third ... you will eventually need or at least want more than one boat for Long Point.

I curently have four ... a 12' kayak, a 7.5' wooden duck skiff, a 12' aluminum boat (4 HP Merc) and a Duck Water Boats Ocean 15 Duck Boat (40 HP Kohler Surface Drive Mud Buddy) painted in two tone battleship grey for the Big Water!

Steve at Duck Water Boats is going to build me an aluminum layout boat in two tone battleship grey (to match the Ocean 15 Duck Boat) as soon as he can get the thinner aluminum for it.

Okay ... so I really do not need five boats but I am a bit obsessive!

Jerome

PS Jello ... take a look at Duck Water Boats ... Steve has some marsh boats starting at about $3,000.00 for a 12' aluminum boat. I would like one of those too!

Is it worth while bring the electric as well? will that help getting through the soup?

Endeavour to Persevere

My experience with electrics in the marsh has been poor. They really don't have the power to get through the weeds and muck in the marsh. Even a very small outboard works much better.

I run a 15 hp Johnson and I have a 2 bladed prop on it .The 2 blade is fantastic in the marsh and if it does weed up just a lift up of the motor throws most of the weeds off. You will notice all mud motors have 2 blades for props because they don't weed up as much and throw weeds off easily.If anybody wants a 2 blade myself and my dad got them from Randy at Post's Marina . He will order one in for you .Too bad I can't get a 2 blade for my 30 hp .

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks