Off Topic Thunderstorms

Simon

I'm going to ask a silly question .Looking to get out this Friday and Saturday but looks like there is a chance of a thunderstorm.
What are the risks and what should you do if anything to protect yourself ?

As they say on TV " when nature roars head indoors !" Otherwise watch the weather channels; most likely you have a Smartphone ? Download apps for TWN Long Point and/or Enviroment Canadas Exeter Radar site and/or Windfinder. Do you have a VHF radio with the Marine weather channel ? I believe you can access Marine weather off the same Enviroment Canadas site. Mind you with this type of weather we are having a pop up thunderstorm can appear out of nowhere so keep your eyes on the skies.

It is pretty hard not to be the highest point on a lake even in a canoe so your chances of all of the above are pretty good unfortunately. Lake Erie has some great thunderstorms to watch from the deck at the cottage but they are never a good thing to watch from a boat especially an aluminum one.

Thanks guys ,I've been lucky and never ran into one after 9 + years ,been lucky I guess ,but do watch the weather channels regularly

Last edited:
These burgers came out of a narrow but long clouds last year at Bruce
Scared shit out of us
Keep your eye on the sky !

Attachments

• 20170806_084113.jpg
    20170806_084113.jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 20170806_084105.jpg
    20170806_084105.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 48
I got caught in a storm several years ago 8 miles south of Stanley. It was a picture perfect day with a risk of t-storms in the afternoon and with in 10 minutes...everything changed!!! Scared the living "F" out of me and to this day, the worst day I ever spent on the water and will never happen again! That fast things can change. Jeffya2 said it best.

Eyes to the skies, let your gut tell you what. Live to fish another day.

Back a few years back fishing Colchester was in the boat pack catching walleyes watching the sky's blacken and watching some boats leave the group had 11 eyes one to go and said let's pack up .Just had time to reel all rods in and started the main motor and the storm opened up.I thought I was going to meet my maker but just kept on going back to the launch. Thunder here and there.Packed up the boat all wet and stopped and had a beer at the first place I seen to calm my nerves.

Port Bruce August 6, 2017. Storms come out of no where on Lake Erie, if you do head out, keep an eye on the sky.

A friend of mine was fishing Lake Huron 8-10 years ago .....while trying to outrun a storm ....his VHF antenà was struck by lightening...... antenà exploded , had a small fire, àll electronics got fryed, he was floating a drift in big water ....luckily he was able to use his kicker to get back to shore .

They where lucky to survive ......

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks