Off Topic Rod holder material

HTHM

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I have a rod holder in my boat that is a matrix of 1.5" diameter tubes, in a central in-floor rod locker sort of like this:

: : : :

It works really well. The material it is made from is a thin wall black poly.
That problem I have with it is that the tubes are too narrow for my rods to slip in and out of it and I want to remake it with larger diameter tubing.
The only option I have found so far is to use 2" diameter white PVC. My concern with using that is damage to my fishing rod finishes.
Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this dilemma?

You will want to find some rubber tubing slice it and glue to the rim of the PVC?

I made transport rod holders by cutting (in my case) heavy wall cardboard tube's (center rolls for carpet or vinyl flooring - free from any carpet store) down the center length wise and then gluing in heavy weight felt to both halves (the complete length) and then in my case tuck taping the tube back together. I used dense 1/4" felt used in the saddle making industry.

Before or after making these rod holders you could probably drive a truck over these tubes the cardboard tubes are that robust.

I have a couple light weight PVC tube's with screw caps for ends I made up the same way. Because you cut the tube's in half you loose a bit of the OD/ roundness you have to fart around a bit to get a screw cap to fit/ work properly. But it is doable.

I have something similar, but not as many rods storage. The tube is oval, fits pretty much everything under 7.5 ft. The oval shape allows for the guides to pass. Not sure where to get such pipe.
2075-Pro-Guide-Bow-Deck-Center-Rod-Locker-Storage-Compartment-Open

Check out a plumbing supply wholesaler. They might have a suggestion re what pvc piping would do the job....or your local Home Hardware.

those look like tubes for golf clubs, not sure of diameter though.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks