Off Topic Rant, don’t wanna hear it read no further.

Richardscott999

Had a great night out of Burwell with my son Friday night. Limited out like most others in 3 hours back to the ramp by 8 pm. Got most fish in 58-60 fow 5 colour and dipsies 80-95 feet back. Spoon and rrf bite.

Here’s the rant part. Was kinda blocked in by other vehicles with trailers so had to drive my suv away from the ramp in a loop to load the boat. Right on the dirt path. Huge pot holes about ate my suv. Bounced my gas tank off the nice hard clay twice. Yes I know it has been wet spring, yes I know it is a busy parking lot with lots of traffic, but for crying out loud this lot is always bad now it’s terrible. I pay for ramp and parking just give me my moneys worth. Certainly the proprietor has spent a lot of money on improvements great, appreciate it, and I help to pay for it through my patronage. How much is a load of gravel to fix this anyway? Can’t be that much a bunch of it behind the barn just laid down.

I have a choice, I can pay another $5 for the ramp on the other side of the road and will, it’s worth it not to smash up the underside of my vehicle. And before you tell me to call Greg and tell him, I did. And since he did not reply to my voice mail I rant.

Rick

ive been to both ramps..the one with the craters at the parking area is a better ramp, and they help if your by yourself..the other ramp seems more organized and has a fish cleaning station..
i noticed the craters and just went around, but it was mid week and wasnt packed..
hope greg gets this message and makes a slight fix..

I do agree. Those pot holes are terrible!!! I lost my license plate to them last week. Drove around them this time. But you didn't have that option. I am also considering spending the extra $5. I personally like big otters ramp better too. Not so steep for the mini van to pull her out of.

My personal observation.

I paid a visit to the other side of the road Saturday for a few minutes.

I was surprised, one is a community, the other is a parking lot.

I had not been past the ramps before yesterday.

Never realized the size and population present.

Soil can often be had for free and a jumping jack (packer for cohesive soils ,aka dirt) is only $50 to rent for 4 hours. Its a quick and easy fix.

From a liability standpoint i would think the marina is taking a huge risk as someone injuring themselves in such deep and unmarked ruts could get very expensive. Personally, i couldn't care less about the ruts but the marina owners should really consider making the parking lot safe and easily accessible for all users.

Considering how cheap and easy this is to do i am thinking it comes down to laziness or simply not knowing how to fix it properly. I will do it if the owners supply the tractor, packer and dirt....

A couple of night lights would go a long way around the ramp as well. It’s dark around there. But does the trick. Gets your boat in and out of the lake.

Colchester, paved parking lots and paved ramp area = no gravel & sand in your boat our bottoming out.

When I retire and build my house in Colchester, we'll be all over that Chip! Till then I guess we have to deal with the ramps in Burwell and Nanticoke....

Hi all,

With all this rain we have been getting (more last night) we have filled the holes numerous times (spent over $2500) but as more and more traffic drives over them they get packed down it’s pretty much a endless battle this year. It is not out of laziness or lack of knowing what we are doing. We are sorry for any inconvenience, another load will be ordered this week, Wednesday.

Rick as for you writing this rant we would have appreciated a call. Gregs cell phone has not rang once from you as he has it on 24/7. I can private message you his number.

i haven't launched & fished burwell since they mounted the submarine..
is the submarine still there...

i haven't launched & fished burwell since they mounted the submarine..
is the submarine still there...
Oh yessir! You better believe it. Biggest mistake bayham did. Can't even give the thing away if we tried. You've missed nothing aside from the walleye and flooded beach lol.

Thanks @Waldo peters for that quote..

before the submarine ..I can honestly say we enjoyed the good fishing for both walleye and perch off burwell back then going out on a week day...for chrome I still remember one nice brown trout and a few rainbows mixed in catching walleyes.. ya that was a canada day..good memories from a closed chapter..

I've personally seen the heavier set gettleman that works there in the mornings with wheel barrow n shovel at 5 in the morning slugging gravel to fill in holes when they r parking people he always tells people go to far side it smoother so instead of putting hard working people and Thier business down follow instructions or feel free to go somewhere else no need to put people or the business down on here or anywhere

Had a great night out of Burwell with my son Friday night. Limited out like most others in 3 hours back to the ramp by 8 pm. Got most fish in 58-60 fow 5 colour and dipsies 80-95 feet back. Spoon and rrf bite.

Here’s the rant part. Was kinda blocked in by other vehicles with trailers so had to drive my suv away from the ramp in a loop to load the boat. Right on the dirt path. Huge pot holes about ate my suv. Bounced my gas tank off the nice hard clay twice. Yes I know it has been wet spring, yes I know it is a busy parking lot with lots of traffic, but for crying out loud this lot is always bad now it’s terrible. I pay for ramp and parking just give me my moneys worth. Certainly the proprietor has spent a lot of money on improvements great, appreciate it, and I help to pay for it through my patronage. How much is a load of gravel to fix this anyway? Can’t be that much a bunch of it behind the barn just laid down.

I have a choice, I can pay another $5 for the ramp on the other side of the road and will, it’s worth it not to smash up the underside of my vehicle. And before you tell me to call Greg and tell him, I did. And since he did not reply to my voice mail I rant.

Rick
Good rant..

The only real way to fix pot holes is to get a box scraper with teeth and chew it all up and repackaged it , if you don’t do that you’ll never fix it

like most.. walmart parking lots use asphalt...:)

Greg...how about if we just fill the holes with leftovers from cleaning walleye?
With the number of fish coming out of your parking lot this year, it would take about 10 mins to level all the holes...

Fill they holes with 1 inch washed stone. Costs more than dirt but stays put. The 2500 spent would buy several loads of stone.
Regards!

Hi all,

With all this rain we have been getting (more last night) we have filled the holes numerous times (spent over $2500) but as more and more traffic drives over them they get packed down it’s pretty much a endless battle this year. It is not out of laziness or lack of knowing what we are doing. We are sorry for any inconvenience, another load will be ordered this week, Wednesday.

Rick as for you writing this rant we would have appreciated a call. Gregs cell phone has not rang once from you as he has it on 24/7. I can private message you his number.
And I would have Greg’s phone number how? I left the voice mail on the nem Bruce phone thinking that this would be responded to. I did this and since I did not receive a response I posted here. My actions were reasonable and considerate.

And by the way it is not up to the customer to tell you that there are deficiencies in your business or your property, it is up to you and your employees.

Back