Fishing Report Port Bruce July 06/019

packrat

got three hours in this morning with Horty before rain chased us off. three of us had six eyes and one white perch----the one eye was close to seven pounds. didn't have to venture too far to find them 47 fow was farthest we went west of the pier. on the subject of high water you have to see it to believe it---top of pier only inches above water, in fact when we were coming in it looked like the pier beacon was just sitting on top of the water. BTW saw one jumbo perch caught as we went by. Horty has pictures so hope he puts them up. Another fine fishing adventure----all of us got soaked to the A$$ but we didn't care. Perfect walleye chop not too hot very few flies. I got handed the rod with the biggy, thought my arms were going to give out after reeling in over 200 ' of leadcore.

got three hours in this morning with Horty before rain chased us off. three of us had six eyes and one white perch----the one eye was close to seven pounds. didn't have to venture too far to find them 47 fow was farthest we went west of the pier. on the subject of high water you have to see it to believe it---top of pier only inches above water, in fact when we were coming in it looked like the pier beacon was just sitting on top of the water. BTW saw one jumbo perch caught as we went by. Horty has pictures so hope he puts them up. Another fine fishing adventure----all of us got soaked to the A$$ but we didn't care. Perfect walleye chop not too hot very few flies. I got handed the rod with the biggy, thought my arms were going to give out after reeling in over 200 ' of leadcore.

Glad you got out Gord. 200+ft of leadcore with an unhappy big fish on the other end will do that to ya. I told you the water was very high. You didn't believe me? ??. With the perch derby today and tomorrow, I wasn't anywhere near there today. Won't be tomorrow either, maybe Monday or Tuesday tho.

Glad you got out Gord. 200+ft of leadcore with an unhappy big fish on the other end will do that to ya. I told you the water was very high. You didn't believe me? ??. With the perch derby today and tomorrow, I wasn't anywhere near there today. Won't be tomorrow either, maybe Monday or Tuesday tho.
wasn't that I didn't believe you---just hard to put it into perspective until you actually SEE it----all I could keep saying was WOW

That was my reaction in May when I went the first time this year. I thought it might go down a bit, but if anything, with all the rain we had this spring, it got higher :eek:

I'm REALLY hoping that with it being SO high and the perch being at least 3 weeks late showing up in both size and numbers, (they only really showed up a week ago after the water finally warmed up and it's not close to what it should be) they'll be around for another couple weeks or longer before going to the pier is as much of a waste of gas as it would be to go in February like it was by this time last year.

Hey @packrat... that's a fantastic report for a really old guy like yourself Gord. :smuggrin:
I thought for sure you would be taking a nap after hauling in a hog on 200 ft. of lead. ?
With the water so high now you won't have to drop that sinker so far off the pier to hit the water. ? ?

With the water so high now you won't have to drop that sinker so far off the pier to hit the water. ? ?

That also means any fish you catch off that pier isn't coming that far out of the water when you bring'em out. Have seen several this year release themselves and either fall back into the lake or land on the pier, flip once, and back in the lake to the total and utter disappointment/disgust of the person who caught, then lost it. Also saw a guy with a nice jumbo, go to grab his fish basket out of the water, and the fish in his hand flipped when he wasn't expecting it, and he missed the basket completely and threw it back into the lake instead :LOL: As you can imagine, he took a bit of a good humored beating for that for a while from everyone there.

Don't think that's going to be a problem tomorrow tho. With the forecast saying 17km/hr-22km/hr ENE winds by 5am that aren't supposed to calm to less than 10km/hr until after midnight tomorrow, there won't likely be anyone on the pier tomorrow but I'd bet that beach will be full of people fishing for day 2 of the perch derby.

It is always an adventure with you Gord,,until next time

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks