Poison Ivy on hunting boots - what do you all do?

Tacklebuster

Today, I was in the woods to start getting things ready for deer season. I noticed a fair bit more poison ivy on the trail. So, now that it's on my boots, I was wondering what your professional advice is?

I thought about washing my Muck boots, but these are also my hunting boots so I don't want to stink them up with soap or detergent.

Thanks

The ivy is oily so maybe just put some fine sawdust on them or gravel dust. I've never thought about it.

Sunlight bar soap. The yellow cake kind. I wash with it if I've been around the evil ivy. If I get it, the Sunlight stops the spread. I'd imagine putting on some gloves and washing your boots with Sunlight will work. I'd also Round up all the plants I see on your main trails. Hate that shit.

Rub them with some cedar leaves to kill the smell. Or kick a dead skunk around for a bit.

Dawn dish soap is the best for removing the oily resin ( urushiol ) from Poison Ivy/Oak/Sumach. Should you come in contact or think you did, a thorough washing asap should save the day. If you have no soap , just water and a rag, again a thorough washing to remove the oil. Same for your clothes or boots, wash them on Warm or Hot water setting with soap. I've had Poison Ivy before but found Poison Oak to be even nastier !

There are many plants that look like Poison Ivy/Oak/Sumach so while the old "leaves of three let them be" isn't totally accurate. I would download a page with proper identification to my phone for reference in the field. Also any tools you used should get a wash as that oil can remain active for quite awhile. After you confirm it's Poison Ivy you may want to spray it with Round Up but never ever burn it as the oil is mixed in the smoke and breathing it in could be extremely hazardous to your health.

I got poison ivy putting up a tree stand a few years ago. Went I went to our country Dr she reminded me to go on the internet to Identify poison ivy and poison oak. I have lived on a farm my whole life and never even seen the plants I ignored as part of the poison ivy group and yes the old sayin of leaves of three let them be doesnt always hold true.

Friend of mine decided to take his riding lawnmower and cut the poison ivy in the ditch in front of his house . Ended up in the hospital . Stuff got into his lungs , was in bad shape for a while . I only use roundup . On the farm I got poison ivy bad every year , as a kid and adult . I knew what it looked like and avoided it , always had dogs following us around , so much for man’s best friend !

Thanks as always for your suggestions.

I will definitely not mistake it for a Kleenex alternative, lol. On that note, Kleenex is no more in Canada, so get 'em while you can.

Do you even react to it? It has never bothered me and I only realized that back in my military days in the late 80s. My entire platoon got hammered twice with it during the summer time during training. I was one of three who never got it outta our training which lasted for 4 months every year for 3 years til we graduated then it was basically living in it for a few more.

Count your blessings rcfire77, it's not a pleasant experience . I think the armed forces training manuals need updating because if a little plant can take a platoon out of action.... ?

Yes but the boys still had to keep going but with a little calamine lotion mixed in with the camouflage face paint.

I get poison ivy many times every year. My property is loaded with it. I try to keep it off the trails but I don't tend to stick to trails.

For me, I treat my hunting boots as "contaminated" and generally just refuse to touch them. I don't clean them.

I did decide to chop down a big vine this year that I figured was a major seed source around my trails... I wore a second pair of boots (not my normal hunting ones) and washed them with blue dawn afterwards as I was stomping all through it to kill the big vine.

I've used Round Up to control patches but can never wipe it out completely... nasty stuff ! I use a 2 gallon sprayer for the big areas and have a 1 liter spray bottle for pin pointing small stuff. I have another spray bottle with a watered down solution of Dawn dish soap for washing off tools and boots and stuff. I suppose that Dawn Powerwash stuff would work good also albeit expensive ?

Reactions: GPS
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks