New Garmin Livescope lvs36 May 2024 release. Do you think technology is going to far?

For those fishermen that can afford it, you can move up to Omni Sonar.

https://yachts360.com/omni-sonar-th...ext=Omni Sonar is a 360,to 5 times per second

What is Omni Sonar?​

Omni Sonar is a 360 degree omni-directional sonar which has and effective range of 5000 feet+ and has made it’s way on to tournament boats across the world. It offers 360 degree detection and displays real time data at a refresh rate of up to 5 times per second.

The sonar system utilizes a cone shaped beam so the width of detection increases with depth and the angle can be adjusted to fit the type of fishing and tracking goals of the captain.

How much does Omni Sonar cost?

Omni sonar isn't cheap. Prices vary: $75,000-$100,000 plus another $25,000-$30,000 for installation. Omni also isn't small. Space needed inside the hull is about six vertical feet, and since the unit needs to be installed on the keel to be most effective, getting one retrofitted can take some machinations.

Finally, Omni Sonar isn’t something you turn on and forget about. Active manipulation and interpretation are needed for best results and that takes training and dedicated onboard personnel.

The latest offering:

Furuno’s CSH-8L MK-2 is an 85kHz unit with a 1,000-meter range and scans in a half second. It’s a fairly compact, high-frequency, stabilized unit with an 8-inch shaft and dome. More Furuno units have been installed to date on recreational boats than any other brand of omni sonar.

Attachments

• Omni Sonar.png
    Omni Sonar.png
    330.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Omni Sonar1.png
    Omni Sonar1.png
    784.8 KB · Views: 7
Ha ha! Old school back in my day was no fish finder, no GPS, no Fish Hawk, no downriggers just Pink Ladys only and a compass. Amazingly we still caught fish, in fact lots of them. 😁

That "strike" was just you dragging your pink lady on the bottom because you read the chart wrong and are actually in 12 fow. ;)

For those fishermen that can afford it, you can move up to Omni Sonar.

https://yachts360.com/omni-sonar-three-captains-thoughts-on-the-tournament-winning-technology/#:~:text=Omni Sonar is a 360,to 5 times per second

What is Omni Sonar?​

Omni Sonar is a 360 degree omni-directional sonar which has and effective range of 5000 feet+ and has made it’s way on to tournament boats across the world. It offers 360 degree detection and displays real time data at a refresh rate of up to 5 times per second.

The sonar system utilizes a cone shaped beam so the width of detection increases with depth and the angle can be adjusted to fit the type of fishing and tracking goals of the captain.

How much does Omni Sonar cost?

Omni sonar isn't cheap. Prices vary: $75,000-$100,000 plus another $25,000-$30,000 for installation. Omni also isn't small. Space needed inside the hull is about six vertical feet, and since the unit needs to be installed on the keel to be most effective, getting one retrofitted can take some machinations.

Finally, Omni Sonar isn’t something you turn on and forget about. Active manipulation and interpretation are needed for best results and that takes training and dedicated onboard personnel.

The latest offering:

Furuno’s CSH-8L MK-2 is an 85kHz unit with a 1,000-meter range and scans in a half second. It’s a fairly compact, high-frequency, stabilized unit with an 8-inch shaft and dome. More Furuno units have been installed to date on recreational boats than any other brand of omni sonar.
this is for when you leave the tackle at home and are fishing with torpedo and other under water artillery

It answers the question of is there fish there or not. Still have to entice the fish to strike your bait. That’s where the skill comes into play

I'll stop at side/down scan to see structure , I've bounced lures off the mouth of fussy pike only to see them swim away. Just cause they are there does not mean they will take your presentation.
Good points for why tournaments shouldn't ban FF

Which FFS do you have? I toy with the thought of trying MegaLive but MegaLive seems to kind of suck compared to Garmin, and I'm already invested into the 'bird ecosystem.
I have Lowrance Active target. I have 2 transducers on my trolling motor. One for forward mode one for scout mode. I use them one at a time as needed. I pair the with 2 HDS 9 Lives.
FFS is no different than any other sport advancing. Composite sticks in hockey, AI smoke drivers in golf, flight monitors for golf, electric start and efi in motocross, v6 hybrids in F1, and the list goes on. As we get more advanced, progression will always rule in every sport. You either keep up or shut up in my opinion. I grew up fishing out of a leaky 12 aluminum that we borrowed from a neighbor along with a 9.9 my Dad worked hard to get. We were 3 young boys whipping around spoons for pike or buzzbaits for bass around the weeds. One guy need to bail all the time to keep up with the leaks. As fun as that was as a kid, I truly enjoy all the advancements in the sport of fishing. GPS was a huge advancement, side scan, down scan, 360, power poles, spot lock, lithium batteries, navionics mapping, google earth, its all been advancements in the sport and its probably never gonna stop. No matter what side you lie on FFS, advancements will continue to come and will likely be amazing. Stay in your lane, do what you want to, love your fishing and how you like to do it. No need to stress about something you may not believe in or even will invest in for your boat, but know this, FFS is amazing and will show you things about fish you've never seen before. The learning continues year after year for me in all different types of fishing. I will continue advancing with it and enjoying my time learning it and what it shows me. Tight Lines.

@Wave Runner Yup us OLD boys remember those days and yes caught lots of fish…
Haha @Red Fisher , even us young pups still fish like that sometimes.

You carry your canoe one lake beyond the boat ramps and POOF! You go back 40 years.

No navionics depth maps. You have to just read the shoreline and explore. It is my favourite kind of fishing… and yet I sure love having that Garmin on my boat…

FFS is no different than any other sport advancing. Composite sticks in hockey, AI smoke drivers in golf, flight monitors for golf, electric start and efi in motocross, v6 hybrids in F1, and the list goes on. As we get more advanced, progression will always rule in every sport. You either keep up or shut up in my opinion. I grew up fishing out of a leaky 12 aluminum that we borrowed from a neighbor along with a 9.9 my Dad worked hard to get. We were 3 young boys whipping around spoons for pike or buzzbaits for bass around the weeds. One guy need to bail all the time to keep up with the leaks. As fun as that was as a kid, I truly enjoy all the advancements in the sport of fishing. GPS was a huge advancement, side scan, down scan, 360, power poles, spot lock, lithium batteries, navionics mapping, google earth, its all been advancements in the sport and its probably never gonna stop. No matter what side you lie on FFS, advancements will continue to come and will likely be amazing. Stay in your lane, do what you want to, love your fishing and how you like to do it. No need to stress about something you may not believe in or even will invest in for your boat, but know this, FFS is amazing and will show you things about fish you've never seen before. The learning continues year after year for me in all different types of fishing. I will continue advancing with it and enjoying my time learning it and what it shows me. Tight Lines.

On the other hand, restrictions or rule changes can often come along with new sports tech – e.g. banned running shoes, illegal ‘low-drag’ swimsuits, COR limits on golf clubs, sticking with wood baseball bats, F1 budget caps and endless technical constraints, etc. I think most would agree that these are in place for the benefit of the competition.

The FFS technology is very fascinating, innovative, etc. The impact it’s had on tournament fishing is shocking. Clearly there's a learning curve and it takes skill to use, but there’s no doubt that the folks who’ve mastered it have a considerable advantage over the holdouts – the results don’t lie. “ If you ain’t scopin’, you’re hopin’ ” is the new mantra. I can't think of a singular advancement that had such an immediate impact. A-Rigs were banned from some tournaments for far less lol.

Personally, I think future fishing and competitive fishing would be better off without this tech. But I agree we're not likely to see the toothpaste going back in the tube, esp. with $$$ involved.

You either keep up or shut up in my opinion.

Stay in your lane, do what you want to, love your fishing and how you like to do it. No need to stress about something you may not believe in or even will invest in for your boat, but know this, FFS is amazing and will show you things about fish you've never seen before.
Really. Keep up or shut up? Stay in your lane? Pretty strong opinion and words. No other opposing opinions needed I guess.

Radar shotgun shot for duck hunting?
Heat seeking bullets for deer?

I guess some people have a different opinion of "sporting" than I do.

Good points @Caseys Dream ... "fair chase" and a fair or "level playing field" in tournaments surely are not the same thing.

There's a reason we catch them on a hook, even though the commercial guys have a heck of a system to put a pile of fish on dinner tables.

In terms of our local fishing, the one area I've noticed tech has had an impact is on yellow perch. Many will disagree, and I get that. But back in the day, the common tactic was marking fish (or catching fish without marking them) and throwing out a marker. You'd then attempt to anchor your boat over that school. Back then, many times those schools were a km long. Sometimes 10ft thick on the graph. Today, boats are able to stay on top of moving schools, lock over top of them, see them with side scan/livescope etc.

Yes, the commercial fishery takes many fish. But the way we are now targeting these fish, targets specific spawning schools, on specific structure with pinpoint accuracy. You can literally watch the school get smaller as you pull fish out of it.

So I'd say with the massive increase in anglers over the past 20 years, along with the new tech, it's got to be having an impact at some point.

What I am reading Online many of the smaller Tourneys are banning FFS because they don't have Electronic companies as big sponsors like the the larger events such as the NWT and MWC. Professional anglers are usually partnered up with companies to promote and use their products. Neither the pros or the big circuits are going to shoot themselves in the foot by banning specific electronics.
The bass trails
Really. Keep up or shut up? Stay in your lane? Pretty strong opinion and words. No other opposing opinions needed I guess.

Radar shotgun shot for duck hunting?
Heat seeking bullets for deer?

I guess some people have a different opinion of "sporting" than I do.
Have you ever used FFS first hand? It's far from automatic. Would you consider using a rifle to kill big game vs a bow unsporting?

My opinion is that if it’s a competition there should be bar set that all fisher people involved should have to adhere to
Maybe some tournies all in some tournies have restrictions
Just like politics not everyone will ever completely agree on this topic. 🤷🏻

Would you consider using a rifle to kill big game vs a bow unsporting?
I think in an imaginary world where everyone hunted with bows, if you saw rifles suddenly burst onto the scene and early rifle-adopters consistently out-hunt their competitors, forcing the rest to adapt or be left behind, it would be fair to question whether or not that change was good for the sport. In reality we do have separate seasons, tag allocations, record classifications, etc. as it's recognized that rifle hunting is not the same.

Bass tournaments should (and do) police themselves however they see fit within the local regs. The increasing reliance on technology, latest being FFS, is obvious. But if this what the anglers want, supports the business model, etc. then why not? If opinions divide into camps, maybe separate classes are the way to go (not unlike rifle vs. bow).

On the other hand, I think if FFS eventually trickles down to common use among more casual anglers, it could add to existing conservation concerns. We already have over-harvest problems in some catch-and-keep fisheries, do we want to give those fish fewer places to hide? Take-up of the technology for now is low and actual effective use even lower, but in the future…? If we have more anglers, and those anglers are more effective, something should change - maybe different rules/restrictions/limits, etc. but also a fair question of "would we be better off without this?"

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks