Fishing Report Leamington

G.Mech

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Anybody been out lately? Usually lots of good reports this time of year but this year has been very quiet. Likely head down Friday and see what's up.

ya I agree usually good fishing off leamington this time of year...
last June 07 2020 out of happy snapper we managed our 2 man limit..

you can check the updated colchester/leamington thread
hoping to get back down there myself

just curious how was LSC fishing conditions yesterday, if you don't mind..

Last edited:
should mention..happy snapper is under construction and closed for the season..boat launch is out of leamington marina..

just curious how was LSC fishing conditions yesterday, if you don't mind..
Posted report a bit earlier. I never thought to check the swamp reports, I will do that thanks.

Hi Gmech. Could post a report if you go Saturday. I’m toying with going on Sunday but am watching the winds. Thankfully it’s looking like offshore. Don’t need coordinates just areas that you tried etc.
Cheers

Fished this morning and it was a perfect day. Lines in North of Grubbs reef at 8:30 and were all packed up with fish cleaned by 11:30. 4 rods boated well over 24 fish and kept 12 in the 18-24" range. 10 mph east wind, light chop, zero bugs, 72F water temp. Ran both cranks and harnesses in 36 fow but cranks were dead, all fish came on live worms (got 1 on plastic). Active fish were 18 feet deep, not much activity on bottom.

Nice to get a rare day on the lake with g-mech junior.

IMG_20210611_1101597~2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the report gmech. Will see what the winds do for Sunday now. Wonder what weather app will get it right lol

nice chunks in that photo

herefishyfishy

Thanks for the report G. Mech. I am taking my boy there tomorrow morning. Did you use the Leamington marina launch? I have not launched there before so not sure what my options are. We have lots of worms and will be casting worm harnesses slow retrieve. If that doesn't work we will troll.
Thanks,
John

Thanks for the report G. Mech. I am taking my boy there tomorrow morning. Did you use the Leamington marina launch? I have not launched there before so not sure what my options are. We have lots of worms and will be casting worm harnesses slow retrieve. If that doesn't work we will troll.
Thanks,
John

John I spoke to Leamington marina today they are open.
Good luck tomorrow I hope to be there sunday

Thanks,
John
Leamington Marina is the best bet and runs very efficiently.

congrats G Mech on the walleye report..worms is a must have on board when we go there too ..sometimes tipping the rear hook with a piece worm on cranks has worked for us in the past..

I was reading 60 boats waiting inline at leamington 6 am sat..plenty of room out there...and by the sounds of it plenty of fish too..

congrats G Mech on the walleye report..worms is a must have on board when we go there too ..sometimes tipping the rear hook with a piece worm on cranks has worked for us in the past..

I was reading 60 boats waiting inline at leamington 6 am sat..plenty of room out there...and by the sounds of it plenty of fish too..
We did some experimenting Friday too that was interesting. We had two different coloured worm harnesses and both were catching fish at the same depths (about 18' over 35 fow). One harness was up 5-2 on walleye with live worms so we put a plastic gulp worm on the one that had 5 and left natural bait on the 2. The 'good' harness with plastic only got 1 more fish while the other one got 4 in about 20 minutes. I have used plastic before and got fish so this side x side test surprised me. My on-board marine biologist son figures that the scent is key even when trolling at 2+ mph and says that the fish will follow the bait for a bit before they strike which is when they pick up the wormy smell. Maybe he's actually right but I will try it again next time I find an active school like that in hopes of proving him wrong like usual!

The Ramp at Leamington can get busy on weekends but the staff there keep it moving incredibly smoothly which is easy because the ramp and docks are set up properly with lots of room to launch and park boats. We pulled in 9th in line a couple of years ago (almost out to the road) and were launched in about 10 minutes still. I pulled in 3rd on Friday and barely had time to get my straps off before the ramp was clear. I like that.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your fine tune adjusting your baits and switching & comparing real worms to artificial worms..iam not suprised..and you had plenty of fish in a short time period..

I found walleyes to want that freshest of worm.. it can be a habit for me to strip a little water logged worm and replace with fresh and it can make all the difference for getting a bite..

I am looking at the marine weather on going to leamington tomorrow...and pack my light line spinning gear,..and check my worms in the fridge..I might need to get some fresher ones just in case..

I just wondered how far out were you fishing on friday..if you don't mind..

When you run harnesses 18/35fow are you using inline wts, dipsies, off riggers? Ive bottom bounced but not the suspended on Lake Erie

When you run harnesses 18/35fow are you using inline wts, dipsies, off riggers? Ive bottom bounced but not the suspended on Lake Erie

Well normally I would use 2 oz inline weights (or 2 oz snap weights) about 60-80 feet back to achieve that but we were doing some crazy experiments on Friday with two rods so we actually caught most of the fish on 4 oz bottom bouncers 50-60 back (they were touching bottom at 110 feet in 36 fow at 2.1 mph).

Sometimes if the BB's aren't firing near the bottom, we just let the BB's down 10 feet at a time each couple of minutes and you'll find the sweet spot that you can then attack with inline weights or cranks. I do run 3 and 5 colour lead down there sometimes and it works well but never dipsies or riggers, they collect dust on the shelf until at least July if I even use them at all (no need for them in the western basin). Normally deep diving cranks such as Rapala TDD-11's or Bandits are very effective but they only got one fish that day for some reason and we tried all our go-to colours.

Well normally I would use 2 oz inline weights (or 2 oz snap weights) about 60-80 feet back to achieve that but we were doing some crazy experiments on Friday with two rods so we actually caught most of the fish on 4 oz bottom bouncers 50-60 back (they were touching bottom at 110 feet in 36 fow at 2.1 mph).

Sometimes if the BB's aren't firing near the bottom, we just let the BB's down 10 feet at a time each couple of minutes and you'll find the sweet spot that you can then attack with inline weights or cranks. I do run 3 and 5 colour lead down there sometimes and it works well but never dipsies or riggers, they collect dust on the shelf until at least July if I even use them at all (no need for them in the western basin). Normally deep diving cranks such as Rapala TDD-11's or Bandits are very effective but they only got one fish that day for some reason and we tried all our go-to colours.
Thats awesome thanks! I use Lead Zepplins on LSC a bit so will start to experiment a bit more on Erie in deeper water.

Well we made it out yesterday. Thanks for the tips G. Mech. We got there at 8:30am after a 3 hour drive and waited in line to launch. We were on the road. Took about 30 minutes or so to launch. Boats were coming in as well as going out. We hit 36 fow and started casting worm harnesses with 1 oz sinkers. First cast my buddy pulls in a nice walleye. This was his idea to fish casting. He has been doing it for years there. Well we landed a couple of more fish that way over the next couple of hours and I decided we are going to troll. Put out one dipsey with worm harness at 120 ft of line 2 setting. Other 2 casting rods on riggers. Let out 15 ft of line and clipped them onto riggers. Down 20-26 ft. Started to catch our limit over the next few hours. Only caught 2 sheephead and 2 silver bass. Great day to be on the water.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks