Off Topic [Fishfly Report] Kingsville/Leamington Jun 22

m1dn

Went out of Kingsville today around 8am towards Leamington side.
Started at 34-36 fow, lot's of marking but INSANE amount of fishflies in the boat and on the water, plus the flies.

Had to re-adjust the lines every few minutes due to huge amount of dead fishflies in the water tangling into curly balls into line/lure and messing it all up.
Fished only for about ~30minutes, then electric died and we spend another 30minutes trying to figure out what's wrong with volt-meter.
Turns out battery connector fell apart on one of the batteries and we didn't have right tools to get it fixed to continue fishing.

Tried trolling on main for another 30min, but it won't slow down below 2.7-3 even against waves.
Wrapped up and went back home to get it cramped/soldered for good.
On our way back to ramp picked up 2 balloons from someones party.

Attachments

• Image from iOS (1).jpg
    Image from iOS (1).jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Image from iOS (2).jpg
    Image from iOS (2).jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Image from iOS.jpg
    Image from iOS.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 64
2.7 to 3 mph is a sweet spot for spoons behind the dipsey or down riggers. We used to drag an empty drywall pale off the chalk on each side for worm harness fishing up north. Our old 25 hp Johnson wouldn't settle down enough either back in the day. Sorry to hear about electric connector surprises. I just checked ours - serves as a good reminder for us all. Glad you posted that problem. Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grab a couple drift socks off amazon. takes up no space and will slow you down, then you can adjust the main so you can hit your target speed. Can also help smooth out the ride a bit on bouncy days.

Grab a couple drift socks off amazon. takes up no space and will slow you down, then you can adjust the main so you can hit your target speed. Can also help smooth out the ride a bit on bouncy days.
That's a great idea!

Do you necessarily need a bag on both side and do they put any pressure on the main engine running for so long while trolling?
My guess is no, since it's basically just idling, but wondering still
P.S I'm running a 2-stroke Merc 150 EFI 2001

Edit: They seem quite cheap as well, 60$ for a 53' bag, thanks for the link!

That's a great idea!

Do you necessarily need a bag on both side and do they put any pressure on the main engine running for so long while trolling?

Ive run bags for years. I put it off the back..the float keeps it away from the prop. I also run a Merc 150--2005 and no probs. The other use is for a sea anchor in case you ever lost engine in heavy seas--itll keep your bow into the waves preventing getting swamped over the transom. A must IMHO for erie

That's a great idea!

You can do as @DaveJ suggested above, or run two smaller ones, one off each side.(that's what I have) Running them off the side makes landing fish off the back a lot easier - not much to worry about if you are bringing in the eye's, but when I am chasing salmon I want the chute as clear as possible - they already seem to think the downrigger cable is a self release mechanism .
And, the comment about a sea anchor in the event of a motor issue is a nice safety feature if you don't have a kicker.

ever since I stuffed a drift sock into my main drive I have been tying it off the bow and it seems to run under the boat.

Look into Amish trolling bags in Michigan, you don’t be disappointed.

I agree trolling bags are a must for when things get white knuckled.

Sorry to hear about your day getting mixed up with electrical problems, good news is that the season is just starting. Good luck

That's a great idea!

I have one for sale never used it.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks