First Lake O trip 2024

rockin-steelhead

Had an invite to go out on a buddies boat today instead of towing mine down. Picked him up at 5am and made it down to Port Weller. I’m so happy we went out in his boat as it was foggy as heck and he has radar. Saw almost two collisions on the radar due to people being stupid by going out full throttle. Now on to the fishing. We started in and around 35 fow and worked our way east to the border working the 35-60 fow depths. We picked up a few small fish and missed a few. We worked our way across the border to the red can and fished 60-80 and again picking up a fish here and there but nothing over say 6lbs. We worked our way out to the ledge and hit the 180 mark. I dropped the rigger down to 101 with meat and paddle and not even three minutes there hooked in to a good fish. After about 10 minutes in to the battle it snapped the line and took everything. Tied a new paddle and meat rig up and sent it back down to 101 on the counter. Less than 5 minutes later hooked up again with a quality fish. After about a 15-20 minute battle boated a nice healthy 18lb male. Long story short, spoons and meat worked well for us today and the bigger fish were out deeper anywhere from 50-100 feet down. We ended the day with over 50 bites, 26 fish in the boat and only 1 laker out of that number. Was great to see different year classes out there. Get out on the South Shore while the fishing is hot.

Had an invite to go out on a buddies boat today instead of towing mine down. Picked him up at 5am and made it down to Port Weller. I’m so happy we went out in his boat as it was foggy as heck and he has radar. Saw almost two collisions on the radar due to people being stupid by going out full throttle. Now on to the fishing. We started in and around 35 fow and worked our way east to the border working the 35-60 fow depths. We picked up a few small fish and missed a few. We worked our way across the border to the red can and fished 60-80 and again picking up a fish here and there but nothing over say 6lbs. We worked our way out to the ledge and hit the 180 mark. I dropped the rigger down to 101 with meat and paddle and not even three minutes there hooked in to a good fish. After about 10 minutes in to the battle it snapped the line and took everything. Tied a new paddle and meat rig up and sent it back down to 101 on the counter. Less than 5 minutes later hooked up again with a quality fish. After about a 15-20 minute battle boated a nice healthy 18lb male. Long story short, spoons and meat worked well for us today and the bigger fish were out deeper anywhere from 50-100 feet down. We ended the day with over 50 bites, 26 fish in the boat and only 1 laker out of that number. Was great to see different year classes out there. Get out on the South Shore while the fishing is hot.
Sounds like fun. How are the bugs?

Went out of Port Weller last spring as a guest.

The fish were playing on the US side but the boat got a few.

However, it was crystal clear for us and the photos taken before light and of the sunrise were amazing. IMHO 😜😁🌻

Heading outta Dalhousie on Tuesday. Any pointers that will cut down on my search time?

Other than today which was slow for everyone many have had success at the bar. Larger fish in the drop off 85-180 down 50-100 ft. Frog pattern I’ll be there tomorrow morning. I’ll post my results.

Green spoons were great for us and then when out deep meat down was hot. All of our bigger fish were caught say 160-180 mostly in the 180’s as that was the path the boat was on. If you can buy a US license and don’t be afraid to cross over as that is where we did best.

Is the south shore in shallow still a thing or is that over now?
What would be the shallowest you can find fish right now?

Some guys are starting in and around 40fow and then working there way out from there depending on what the graph is showing and fish are telling them.

I fished from Grimsby to beamsville. Pulled lines and ran to Jordan. Only 2 lakers. I would go to the bar.
I’d love to hit the bar in my kayak but don’t think I’m able to.
Went out of grimsby yesterday. Wanted to hit 40fow but the winds weren’t nice off shore. Made it to 25 for a bit and went in close to 12fow. One laker on a black/silver flicker minnow.

Back