Fire extinguisher

Puddle Jumper. They are good for 10yrs. Then ditch it! Like E.V. said- turning it upside down and just burp-it a little. Good to go after that. All you are doing is making it come back to life! Hope this helps. I leave mine in the boat year-round. Had no issues.

Besides checking the pressure gauge giving them a shake once a year is a good idea because it keeps the powder inside loose instead of caking up and it is "recommended" you replace them every ten years. You can always use the old ones for practice ?

Also make sure you have the right type of extinguisher. The red coloured "ABC" type is the most common and can be used on "A" wood/fabric/paper , "B" flammable liquids or "C" electrical. Having the right size of extinguisher is also very important so don't cheap out !

If you ever have to use one ( and I pray you don't ) you want to over power the fire as quickly as possible as that first few minutes is critical !!! Having a back up extinguisher is also a good idea and having them readily accessible is important too. Most fires on a boat are going to be engine related so shutting it off is step one , no spark, no fuel, no fire ? Maybe ? If you are really lucky. Step two ; You will feel compelled to remove the engine cowling but that's sometimes a bad idea as the flames will erupt into your face so this is where those small units( kitchen size ?) come in handy by blowing it inside the air intake vent( depending on type of motor ?) it may be enough to put out the fire, failing that you will be glad to have a "big boy" as back up.

I omitted calling a "Mayday" to the Coast Guard as Step One because of the critical time factor involved. If there is a capable person onboard to either fight the fire or talk to the Coast Guard that be good but if you are alone you can't do both and the clock is ticking.

Btw; We all know a fiberglass boat but will burn up (melt ?) pretty quick but aluminum melts at around 1290 F and gasoline can produce approx. 3500 F .

Puddle Jumper. They are good for 10yrs. Then ditch it! Like E.V. said- turning it upside down and just burp-it a little. Good to go after that. All you are doing is making it come back to life! Hope this helps. I leave mine in the boat year-round. Had no issues.
Yeah, but have you ever had to use it? Sometimes there are no issues until there is. I leave mine in the boat as well, otherwise I'm sure it'd be on shore when I needed it.

If your stopped on the water by any of the authorities, one of the items that can be checked and required along with pleasure craft licence, life jackets etc is, is there a fire extinguisher on board, is it charged, is it the right size and type for the craft, the proper number of and is it 10 years or less in age. The rules that govern extinguishers on board are, length of the craft, is it an inboard engine, does it have a fixed fuel tank and if there are any fuel burning appliances as in cook/oven stove, heater or refrigerator.
I don't throw away my expired extinguisher. I maintain it as mentioned above as long as it remains charged, keep it stored on board in a handy accessible location, just in case it might be needed. The good ones, as I need two, are in the proper locations as required. I'm also only require to have the 5 lb. B.C type but opted to carry 10 lb ABC's

@blackeyes is doing it right ! You spend thousands upon thousands on a boat and gear so don't get cheap when it comes to safety equipment !
You would be surprised at how fast you can empty an extinguisher so having a back up is a great idea. Fire extinguishers make great house warming or new vehicle/boat owners gifts ! I even carry a small one (2 Lber ?) kitchen size in my little tin boats.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks