Dipsy Rod

BallEye2

Curious - considering a Dipsy rod. I have several downrigger rods and am toying with the idea of buying an exclusive Dipsy rod? If so, what do I look for? Any recommendations?

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Balleye

Dipsey rods are designated as such because they are made exclusively for the heavier load that dipsies present when trolling. They are much beefier in the butt as well as the rod itself. I bought a pair of Rapala Magnum dipsy trolling rods in heavy power/mod. action last year and love them. Their longer length allows more separation between rigger or lead core lines, the beefier butts allow easier tripping of the dipsies and they don't overbend from the dipsy pull such as say a downrigger rod does. The increased separation also completely eliminated tangling lines when we got an unexpected tight turn from unattended drivers errors. LOL! Hope that helps somewhat. :)

https://rapala.ca/products/magnum-trolling

Dipsey rods are designated as such because they are made exclusively for the heavier load that dipsies present when trolling. They are much beefier in the butt as well as the rod itself. I bought a pair of Rapala Magnum dipsy trolling rods in heavy power/mod. action last year and love them. Their longer length allows more separation between rigger or lead core lines, the beefier butts allow easier tripping of the dipsies and they don't overbend from the dipsy pull such as say a downrigger rod does. The increased separation also completely eliminated tangling lines when we got an unexpected tight turn from unattended drivers errors. LOL! Hope that helps somewhat. :)

https://rapala.ca/products/magnum-trolling
The increased separation of the dipsey rods,and also the unexpected tight turn from unattended drivers errors to eliminate tangling lines!! ?? Is that possible @Wave Runner,to get tangled up,especially from me driving your console boat,because I am used to running a tiller motor on my own boat. LOL ? Thanks again for your patience that day,(very much appreciated),while you untangled the lines on your old rods.I salute you,from the back of my tiller boat-(photo). ??????

Attachments

• A5AC3C6F-E505-4878-8B74-E85AA5D93894.jpeg
    A5AC3C6F-E505-4878-8B74-E85AA5D93894.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
The increased separation of the dipsey rods,and also the unexpected tight turn from unattended drivers errors to eliminate tangling lines!! ?? Is that possible @Wave Runner,to get tangled up,especially from me driving your console boat,because I am used to running a tiller motor on my own boat. LOL ? Thanks again for your patience that day,(very much appreciated),while you untangled the lines on your old rods.I salute you,from the back of my tiller boat-(photo). ??????

Yes they definitely would have helped that day and on other days when Darren was doing the driving. (y):D

Get braid too, helps trip the diver easier over mono dives a bit deeper with smaller diameter line

Yes your right Dman between the dipsy rod and using braid all I have to do is pull up a bit on the rod and the dipsey kicks off when I want it to. With the downrigger rods I had to reef my guts out to get it to kick off and hated it, LOL! (n)

Thank you everyone for your input. Sounds like I will be buying, just have to decide what to buy. Thinking I will pop in to a store or two and see what deals I can find out there. Can't say I have ever been to Lambeth Rod & Tackle. Generally at Angling Outfitters or Bill Bait & Tackle in Hamilton - but I will look up Steve.
Thanks again all.

Cheers,
Balleye.

Second for Okuma Blue Diamond and Convector reels. Been using them for years and love them. The high speed reels are even nicer.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks